Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Looking tips and advice on starting out

Hi guys, I was cleaning a few years ago, tried to start up for myself but was working full time and it just really didn't work out. A few years on and I'm in a more flexible job now but it's not what I want to be doing (care work, shite pay, long days)

Just wondering if anyone could go back to starting up, what advice would you listen to and follow.

Many thanks 

Nathan

I suggest.

Go to the original post of 7 months Starting Out. Study it and use it as an excellent business template. Also learn the practical elements of equipment and techniques.

I suggest; home production into ibc tank if you can, mid size van with 650ltr flat wyedale tank, insulated with lots of foil sided bubble wrap , 2kw immersion in van for cheap reliable hot water, Gardiner SLX22 pole, Medium Mixed sill brush 100 degree black fan jets. 

You'll get a lot more advice, and many different opinions, I'm sure. 

T,aint easy starting out, but I'll give you the advice that was given to me. "Don't get despondent, stick with it. You won't regret it." 

Good luck. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Davy, thanks for the advice, I ment to say I have been running a few months already, with only around 20 custys at present but at the moment I have a Renault traffic swb and a delivery system in the van but when I move house next week I'm going to build the static ibc tank. I've read that post, it's brilliant I was just looking any other advice from others, I cleaned a few years for an old boss so I'm upto date with equipment and technics. Thanks for the input bud. Appreciate it.

Get passionate. Know it will work out. Get Leafleting, door knocking, FREE Thomson & Yell ads. This really worked for me. Got told about free ads thinking someone was BS’ing me. Curiosity got the better of me a couple of years later and Googled it to my surprise. ? Thought it was loads of money to advertise. I pretty much get all my work this way now. Not bundles, but it’s usually from there when I get a call. 

Never think ‘oh I’ve already leafleted that road’

Leaflet the same roads several times, and leaflet half hour a time. That’s the secret. So easy to do an hour or 2 , but this just puts you off leafleting in the future as you’ll be knackered when u get back. Little and often. 

Good luck!

Well done. I built a small shed for my ibc tank, about 6ft long, 4ft front to back 5 1/2 ft high. Insulated inside. With the processing equipment in one small area in the end, insulated again (so double insulated in effect), a 60w thermostat controlled tube heater nested under the processing equipment for the few times of freezing temperatures. Works very well for me. 

Have you any pics of your build and static system? 

Ibc tank

Submersive pump

What else would I need? 
My first time trying to post photos, so let's see how it goes. Not the prettiest as it was built in a rush out of scrap bits of wood in readiness for my first winter 4 years ago. I will improve it when I get round to it but it works really well. 

20190204_131602.jpg

20190204_140359.jpg

Thanks Nathan, it's not too difficult once you get your head round it. I'd suggest you allow yourself a bit of time to think about it before you build it. You'll need to get a water supply to it and a waste water out of it. Remember also, you need to get wiring and at least a double, switched electric socket, an exterior spec one incase the rain gets in when the shed's open while you're filling the van or doing maintenance. One socket for the pressure booster pump if, like me, you need one, and one for the transfer pump to fill the van. This one can be shared with a tube heater in freezing temperatures. Once the van is filled simply plug in the one you need at the time. Also remember that you'll often be filling the van in bad weather so if you can site your shed to make it as easy as possible it would be great. My transfer pump is not submersible it sits on the top of the ibc with about 4 feet of hose going into the tank through a hole in the lid. The fact that the pump is not inside the tank means that if I needed to change it access is very easy. 

The very best of luck, as I said, it's not as difficult as it might look. ?

No problem, mate. The booster pump, I got from Varitech. Streamline is the brand name. Mike is the best man to speak to. It's a high output pump as I have very low mains pressure (8 psi), and my son and I use about 2000 litres a week, so we need to be able to produce up to about 700 litres overnight. The transfer pump is from Machine Mart. It transfers 600 odd litres to the van in about ten minutes. 

Hope that helps. ?

I wouldn't use that much as I haven't long started but I just want to invest for when I do. Always better to have it ready for when I need it than to need it and not have it lol

Yeah mate, You're totally right.. I mostly did the same. My biggest mistakes starting out were : buying too small a van tank 400 litres, when my Vito makes light work of the present 650ltr floor tank. I was lucky to swap with a buddy who was downsizing. And starting with heavy, whippy composite poles instead of going straight to SLX 22, Medium Mixed sill brushes and 100 degree fan jets. Others have different preferences and that's fine too. Long live diversity. I'm trying to find a similar transfer pump to mine on the Web to show you. 

I think this is the current version. Of course you'll need reinforced suction hose from the ibc. I used 1inch reinforced pipe for both suction and delivery, and you'll need the fittings on the pump to attach the hoses. It's not easy starting out, mate. But you can do it. ? 

clarke-bip1500-1-electric-water-pump-7230335.jpg

Thanks mate appreciate it. I was relatively smart. From doing it before I went straight for a traffic and a 650ltr system. I have a water genie pole but as soon as I've enough I will be going for an slx. Submersible pump no good for transfer? I've used the rinse bar before on the xline brush head and I really liked it. Maybe try the 4 pencil jets on the gardiner pole, never used fan jets. 

Thanks mate appreciate it. I was relatively smart. From doing it before I went straight for a traffic and a 650ltr system. I have a water genie pole but as soon as I've enough I will be going for an slx. Submersible pump no good for transfer? I've used the rinse bar before on the xline brush head and I really liked it. Maybe try the 4 pencil jets on the gardiner pole, never used fan jets. 
Most guys use submersible pumps. I just prefer to be able to see the pump incase of any problems. Never had one yet, touch wood. And I only had to make a hole in the lid for the suction hose with a drill and a flat, hole drill from one of those cheap sets you get in Aldi, Screwfix etc. Not used rinse bar, xline etc. I'm very happy with the setup I have, as previously listed. Important to me : black 100 degree fan jets. They're quicker and use less water than red or pencil in my experience, and I love the fizzing sound they make. Smoking!! 

Which water genie pole? Been using the barracuda for 3 years and still going strong, can't tell the difference between that and a clx. Viper. And slx are the same, can't tell the difference. And you can use gardiner brushes, just buy the screw thread socket instead of quick loq socket.

Back