Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning training

Get a squeegee and a mop, then go on YouTube. Practice is the best teacher in this business.

If you really want to learn the proper way, try to find a local cleaner and ask to tag along for a day.

Get a squeegee and a mop, then go on YouTube. Practice is the best teacher in this business.

If you really want to learn the proper way, try to find a local cleaner and ask to tag along for a day.
As above, but one other point, practice with BOTH hands.

This is important, being up a ladder you can’t cross your face with your stronger arm without endangering yourself ?

Ya I'm watching videos. I find it more beneficial to get real world training when starting a business though, learning from one company their ways vs everyone else's way's on YouTube, that get's confusing ?

Training that details, water purification systems & types, pole fed systems & types and whatnot. 

Surely there are training centers in the UK. 

Ya I'm watching videos. I find it more beneficial to get real world training when starting a business though, learning from one company their ways vs everyone else's way's on YouTube, that get's confusing ?

Training that details, water purification systems & types, pole fed systems & types and whatnot. 

Surely there are training centers in the UK. 
Where abouts are you? You can come join me for a unpaid days labour. I'll even let you buy me lunch to say thank you. ?

Seriously, it's not that difficult once your into it. These forms will have all the info you need. Use the search function. And if you can't find, ask. Unlike a lot of other places people won't bite your head off for asking something that's already been covered before!

You dont really need training, do plenty of research then do some more research then go out and clean.

I cobbled a D.I.Y trolley together, watched a couple of videos and then went out posting leaflets, apart from having a go on my own house my customers were my practice

Thanks. 

Last two businesses I setup I went and done training and I found it so helpful, the little things I learned made my business stand out and made life much easier. 

I see this company have multiple courses, more interesting this one: UK Commercial Group

My idea is a small, easily pushed box trailer setup like the Ifor Williams BV64e or Bateson Trailers 120v both have enough room for signage round the sides and back. On-board I'd like pumped & filtered water, I'd probably filter the water at home myself saving on weight/space inside the trailer. 

I can't have my van dedicated to window cleaning as I've other businesses that are tailored to fit in the back so I'm thinking a trailer will suit me better. Just connect and go type of deal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry to say this, don't take it personally, but to make a success of window cleaning, unless you live in an area that doesn't have many window cleaners, you need to eat sleep and drink it to make it work. If you're running other business's you will really struggle to get the windows up to a good level. 

Very sorry to say this, don't take it personally, but to make a success of window cleaning, unless you live in an area that doesn't have many window cleaners, you need to eat sleep and drink it to make it work. If you're running other business's you will really struggle to get the windows up to a good level. 
I can vouch for this! When I left my full time PAYE job I gained over 200 customers in the first 6 months. I did both for just under a year and only gained 45 window cleaning customers.

There's a reason why we all use dedicated vans and not one of those huge trailers.

You will find pulling that thing around a nightmare, I cant imagine trying to get parked on most of my residential work with that great big thing attached.

I've been running two businesses now for 5 years. Cleaning is my passion so be it windows or the other businesses which ever needs the most attention so be it ??

There's a reason why we all use dedicated vans and not one of those huge trailers.

You will find pulling that thing around a nightmare, I cant imagine trying to get parked on most of my residential work with that great big thing attached.
I wouldn't have been able to complete 50% of todays work with a trailer. The only resolve would have been to have a trailer carrying water and a trolley and parked at the end of the road. The extra time spent would severely eat into your profits though.

It will be a transition in progress type a deal. Ill trial run window cleaning for a while see where it takes me. 
Before you go wasting money on an expensive trailer try getting a trolley system and fit it in the van if you can, best of both worlds. If you have room for a sack truck, a handful of 25L containers and a pole you don't need a trailer.

The trailer I have my eye on only weights 200kg.

I have a VW caddy 2K, so I have about 5ft² in the load area to play with. Area where the sliding door is is sectioned off for other tools. 

I've seen this system you're talking about but not in detail. Correct me if I'm wrong, you filter the water at home fill the 25L drums. There is a pump that pumps this up the WFP? 

It would be ideal not having to have a trailer TBH, i thought it wouldn't work. 

I have two 200L water tanks but having to swap out gear/tool I'd need to empty the water out to move the tanks out the back of the van 

Screenshot_20190204-223727.jpg

The trailer I have my eye on only weights 200kg.
It's not the size of the trailer that would cause you trouble its parking it mate. You need to be able to park in small residential cal-de-sac type streets. You may need to do a fair amount of turning round in small areas in these roads. The most profitable work is often on new build estates that have a distinct lack of parking. If you're heart is set on a trailer go for it man, none of us will ever tell you not to but we will point out the flaws to give fair warning.

To use a real world example today I cleaned a bungalow on an estate built in the 1960's. I charge them £10 and it takes me about 15 minutes including setting up and packing away. I squeeze the van on the pavement out of the way so cars can get up and down as there are cars parked along one side of the road. If someone with a trailer was working in that street they wouldn't have been able to drive up the road as there isn't turning room at the end to get back out for a vehicle with a trailer. With this in mind you would need to park at the bottom of the road, unload and fill a backpack or trolley and walk 3 minutes each way. I can clean 3 of these an hour (In different streets including travel time, more if they're in the same road) the trailer would manage just 2.

The reason I suggested a backpack and some 25L drums is they are a good starting point. They can get everywhere and anywhere and the kit can be easily removed from your van when you need to do whatever else it is.

This is all assuming you are talking about residential window cleaning. If you're planning to go commercial only then you're laughing. 

That sounds like a great idea! Perfect for what I'm after TBH. Is there any recommendations for this type of back pack system. 

Comercial or residential, glass is glass, all money so I guess I have no preference. As of now anyway. 

Wow, this was the second recommended vid in my YouTube feed, this is definitely the way forward. This saves me a heap of cash. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a great idea! Perfect for what I'm after TBH. Is there any recommendations for this type of back pack system. 

Comercial or residential, glass is glass, all money so I guess I have no preference. As of now anyway. 
Gardiners back pack is the most common option. Easily fixed if they break. Depends how you plan to work really, you can build a trolley system for £130-150 which would be more suited to completing an entire days work IMO. The backpack is much more versatile, it can be taken through peoples houses if there is no other access, it can be easily taken through tight spaces, don't have to watch out for dog poo as much etc etc. Either option is much much cheaper than a trailer system 

Back