James.

Window cleaning training

James.

Thanks everyone. Like I said it'll be a trail run for now but I'm confident it'll work. The Unger hydro is the route I'm going for now looks semple, tidy and portable. 

P4dstar
1 hour ago, James. said:

Thanks everyone. Like I said it'll be a trail run for now but I'm confident it'll work. The Unger hydro is the route I'm going for now looks semple, tidy and portable. 

Woah there cowboy.... those things are mega expensive for what they are. The refill bags are substantially more expensive than a normal DI Vessel. First things first you need to know what your TDS is. If you're in a hard water area a DI vessel will cost a fortune. In some cases it would make purifying water for window cleaning unprofitable.

First thing you need to do is get a TDS meter. You can get them from reputable suppliers such as Gardiner pole systems or a cheap one from eBay. If you decide to get a cheap £3 one from eBay buy 2 from different sellers and take a reading with both as they won't necessarily be 100% accurate. Once you know your TDS you can decide what type of system you need.

James.

Right just bough a Prozor TDS&EC meter of amazon now. Ill be back with results. 

What other DI systems are recommended. 

P4dstar
1 minute ago, James. said:

Right just bough a Prozor TDS&EC meter of amazon now. Ill be back with results. 

What other DI systems are recommended. 

I use a double DI system I bought from Gardiner pole systems;

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/water-treatment/11-litre-di-resin-pressure-vessel-canister-3-4-bspt-ports.html

To be fair I now only use this as part of my RO to finish off the process but when I started I was DI only and used these.

James.

Remind me why RO over DI. RO if the water quality is low, right?

P4dstar
3 minutes ago, James. said:

Remind me why RO over DI. RO if the water quality is low, right?

RO is expensive to purchase but will cut costs long term. Recommended for medium to hard water areas.

DI is cheaper to purchase but will cost a lot more in the long term. Recommended for soft water areas.

James.

I guess I'd have to get tds readings in multiple areas. I'm planning to work with-in a 30 mile radius. 

P4dstar
19 minutes ago, James. said:

I guess I'd have to get tds readings in multiple areas. I'm planning to work with-in a 30 mile radius. 

Just at home mate, you purify the water yourself usually. Customers don't always take too kindly to you using their water. RO set ups take hours to fill so purifying on site would only allow you to use DI.

James.

Cool. I've never had a customer issues with me using there water. What's your setup. 

Again, thanks for your help. 

P4dstar

I've got a 4040 RO which is the absolute top of the range with a HF5 membrane. It purifies into a 1000L IBC tank. I fill directly into the van with a flood pump. 500 Litre tank in the van with 100psi Shurflo pump that delivers the pure water to 100m of hose and then the pole. 

You can use 25-50 litres of water, more in some cases and a lot more on first cleans. If the customer is on a water meter they wouldn't be happy... If i'm 100% honest with you i'm waiting for someone to come on here and blow their top at you that you've done no research. My honest advice is the TDS meter is the best place to start, now thats on its way get on Youtube and do some research. You need to look at van systems, purification systems, advice on technique etc etc etc.... Your questions read a little as if you've just thought ''I offer X Y & Z service now so I'll add window cleaning'' and come straight on here. In order to understand some of the answers and some of the reasoning behind peoples advice you need to understand a little more about the job itself.

The absolute best way to get to grips with all of this is to go and spend a day with a local windy. Offer to buy them lunch and wind the hose back into the van for them and they will possibly help you.

steve garwood

Don’t have to go with an expensive R.O. like a 4040. 

A 300 GPD is available for a couple of hundred 

James.

Don't know about asking a local to help me get into business 😂 

Interested to see my TDS next week. The kettle has a small bit of limescale build up, nothing like out last house. 

I've saved a bit of cash so I don't mind getting good quality equipment as I know how much time good equipment saves

WW2015

There must be 1000 pages of all of this information on this site. I'm all for people starting Up...good luck to them but they should have the drive to find all the information they need.

Why spoon feed people with seriously basic information?

LAMS
4 hours ago, WW2015 said:

There must be 1000 pages of all of this information on this site. I'm all for people starting Up...good luck to them but they should have the drive to find all the information they need.

Agreed . . . . . .

P4dstar
4 hours ago, WW2015 said:

Well that took longer than expected 😂😂😂

On 05/02/2019 at 19:11, P4dstar said:

If i'm 100% honest with you i'm waiting for someone to come on here and blow their top at you that you've done no research.

adamangler

With an R.O depends how fast you need to fill.

I have a 450gpd R.O and fill into a 1000l Ibc static tank.

Not sure exactly how long it takes to fill it but it's something like 24 hours.

I use about 3000l of pure a week and never come close to running out as long as I don't forget to turn the tap on.

WW2015
8 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Well that took longer than expected 😂😂😂

I find it absolutely crazy that someone would go into a business and know bugger all about It! 

Part Timer
12 minutes ago, WW2015 said:

I find it absolutely crazy that someone would go into a business and know bugger all about It! 

I did, and thousands of others have in different business's. Some people have the attitude that if someone else can do it so can I. This industry isn't exactly rocket science. 

P4dstar
14 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I did, and thousands of others have in different business's. Some people have the attitude that if someone else can do it so can I. This industry isn't exactly rocket science. 

No it isn't but this was the comment that made me think someone would blow....

On 05/02/2019 at 18:16, James. said:

I guess I'd have to get tds readings in multiple areas. I'm planning to work with-in a 30 mile radius

Your advice (and many others on here) has been valuable to me since I started but I always try to establish what my question is before I asked in the early days.

Part Timer
11 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

No it isn't but this was the comment that made me think someone would blow....

Your advice (and many others on here) has been valuable to me since I started but I always try to establish what my question is before I asked in the early days.

I only found out about hard and soft water after I approached a company, Pure Freedom, about installing a full van mounted system with a 2 man hot water system. I was going to throw circa £8k at a company without knowing the basics. The OP doesn't know what he's doing, many on here still don't, but to have a go at him is wrong, in my opinion. Anyway back to the beer and rugby. Fosters £2 a pint in The White Hart on Newmarket High Street 😁

Edited by Part Timer

P4dstar
1 hour ago, Part Timer said:

I only found out about hard and soft water after I approached a company, Pure Freedom, about installing a full van mounted system with a 2 man hot water system. I was going to throw circa £8k at a company without knowing the basics. The OP doesn't know what he's doing, many on here still don't, but to have a go at him is wrong, in my opinion. Anyway back to the beer and rugby. Fosters £2 a pint in The White Hart on Newmarket High Street 😁

But you knew you needed a van mounted system and called a company for advice. The other day I read a thread where someone was trying to double DI water above 400TDS and I didn't think anything of it, that is just a lack of knowledge.

I have no issue with giving advice on the questions and carried on to help but I could see that others would. I can see why people would take offence too, long gone are the days where anyone with a ladder, bucket and squeegee can become a window cleaner. I too didn't know the difference between hard and soft water areas but I found out enough about it before I set my sights on window cleaning. In the last few years a lot more information has become available. There are tons of people making youtube videos, websites about it and much much more. There would have been far less resources when you started... I'm not offended personally and always carry on helping but I can see why some would potentially find it disrespectful to our trade.

£2 is cheap but what do they charge for a decent pint 😂

Part Timer
43 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

But you knew you needed a van mounted system and called a company for advice. The other day I read a thread where someone was trying to double DI water above 400TDS and I didn't think anything of it, that is just a lack of knowledge.

I have no issue with giving advice on the questions and carried on to help but I could see that others would. I can see why people would take offence too, long gone are the days where anyone with a ladder, bucket and squeegee can become a window cleaner. I too didn't know the difference between hard and soft water areas but I found out enough about it before I set my sights on window cleaning. In the last few years a lot more information has become available. There are tons of people making youtube videos, websites about it and much much more. There would have been far less resources when you started... I'm not offended personally and always carry on helping but I can see why some would potentially find it disrespectful to our trade.

£2 is cheap but what do they charge for a decent pint 😂

I didn't even know what my water was until I tried to buy their system. Didn't know about statics or anything, but I'm old school, 9 years ago there wasn't any information online regarding it. If there was I doubt I would've found it. 

First 6 pints have been OK, hope the next 6 are as good 😜

steve garwood
39 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I didn't even know what my water was until I tried to buy their system. Didn't know about statics or anything, but I'm old school, 9 years ago there wasn't any information online regarding it. If there was I doubt I would've found it. 

First 6 pints have been OK, hope the next 6 are as good 😜

Yesterday my mates and I done a pub crawl (home fro Tenerife today) and one of the bars was 90c a pint!! 

Thats about 80p!

Almost glad it isn’t that cheap here, think I’d be dead 👀

Part Timer
7 minutes ago, steve garwood said:

Yesterday my mates and I done a pub crawl (home fro Tenerife today) and one of the bars was 90c a pint!! 

Thats about 80p!

Almost glad it isn’t that cheap here, think I’d be dead 👀

Everyone keeps telling me that down south everything is more expensive than "up North" Wish I could get 10 pints for £20 back home. Would save me £50 a week 😲

RWCleaning
6 hours ago, Part Timer said:

I’ve always wondered though, what do rocket scientists say to use as a illustration of something being difficult??