Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Re-wire, what cable?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cleanco

I want to extend my battery away from my controller and was wandering if there is a specific size(mm) and amp of wire that you have to use? 

My fuse between the battery and controller is 7.5amp. 

Also do the connectors that you use have amp ratings? I have a bag of blue bullet connectors already. Would these be ok to use?

I want to extend my battery away from my controller and was wandering if there is a specific size(mm) and amp of wire that you have to use? 

My fuse between the battery and controller is 7.5amp. 

Also do the connectors that you use have amp ratings? I have a bag of blue bullet connectors already. Would these be ok to use?

I would use 30 amp automotive cable covered with a 25amp fuse as close to the battery as possible. This would be more than adequate to take into consideration any small voltage drop that could occur across the back of an average van. It would also give you enough capacity should you later need to run two controllers. I do believe in over engineering.

The standard 6.4 mm terminals are just OK for this size cabling but as with any electrical connection, especially 12 volt higher amperage, you need to crimp these terminals on properly.

With the cable's insulation cut back and the wire strands turned tightly, the cable with snuggly fit into the back of these terminal.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=6.4mm+terminals&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=6.4mm+blue+terminals&_sacat=0

You could also use 30 amp strip connectors.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Second the "you need to crimp properly". Do not skimp on this. Get a proper ratchet terminal crimper, the flimsy wire stripper type you get in bulk terminal boxes does not make a proper sturdy crimp.

Back