Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using WFP to Clean Car

Master Jedi Alejandro

Premium Member
Anyone had a thought about this or tried it? Using pure would mean no towel drying. And the constant flow of water may stop scratches, but I'm scared to give it a go incase I ruin the paintwork! ? 

Would obviously use a new brush. It may also be a business opportunity. Use a CLX 4 or 10 (CLX as less ridged). Just a thought! 

Heard its a great idea as my wee mate uses his backpack with some degreaser in it with the pole. I just use my used clothes at the end of the day to wipe down my van but getting very busy now.

I do my van wfp, so quick. Also one time was doing a house and a woman wanted her car done, enquired and I said would give it a go. was done in 10 minutes and just charged a fiver as she was friends of my mates house that I was cleaning. Would want more for a normal customer, depending how minging car was. Prob not suitable for top range but does the rest good enough.

Used to do this but it’s not that good for removing traffic film. A mate of mine does car valeting and uses a pure water steam cleaner. He reckons he does inside and out with less than 5 litres. 

Nothing wrong with doing your own van, but using wfp will scratch the paintwork so I wouldn't go anywhere near someone else's car, you will still get spotting on the paintwork as you can't get enough water flowing over the paintwork, I use my Gardiners back-pack to pre-rinse and give a final rinse when cleaning my wifes car but I still dry it off 

I'm with @Iron Giant,you don't get enough flow (compared to the tap) to rinse and clean properly. The brushhead on a car brush also has a lot more bristles, thus I find the wfp brush leaving swirls.

But I don't clean it nearly as often as I ought to so it gets really dirty. Maybe if you do it regularly?

Yeh I clean my van every other weekend with the pole. I do everything apart from the wheels. Takes 5-10 minutes. 

I don't do customers cars though when they’ve asked me before. 

Why would you clean your van or car with a water fed pole ?? I can understand if you wanted to remove bird strike, Just get yourself a hose pipe and car brush, would take half the time surely.

A subject that I’ve been unfortunate to go over recently.

If you have a fairly new van/car and it’s a dark colour, you have to wash it in a certain order to avoid swirls in the paintwork.

This involves giving the whole vehicle a go over with a pressure washer or fast flowing hose to move any loose dirt.

Then spray with a pre wash (available in Halfords), leave a few minutes as it does it’s work.

Spray off with a pressure washer.

Then using two buckets, put proper shampoo (not any form of de greaser like Scottish said as it’s not good for paintwork, and that includes washing up liquid) in one bucket.

Use a microfibre (not a spong as it holds dirt and will cause swirling), dip it in the plain water always before dipping in the shampoo.

You then hose down again (this is a good opportunity to use your pure).

You then use a proper drying towel (available at cleanmycar.com) to PAD it dry, not wipe it dry, as again, you will avoid swirls.

The reason I know this, is because I found out the hard way I was cleaning my black van wrong and caused swirls myself.

I used a guy called Neil at NCB detailing and have become quite friendly with him, getting him jobs from my customers.

Once you get into a pattern with this method of cleaning, it doesn’t take as long as it sounds ?

I think that’s the longest post I’ve ever done ?

A subject that I’ve been unfortunate to go over recently.

If you have a fairly new van/car and it’s a dark colour, you have to wash it in a certain order to avoid swirls in the paintwork.

This involves giving the whole vehicle a go over with a pressure washer or fast flowing hose to move any loose dirt.

Then spray with a pre wash (available in Halfords), leave a few minutes as it does it’s work.

Spray off with a pressure washer.

Then using two buckets, put proper shampoo (not any form of de greaser like Scottish said as it’s not good for paintwork, and that includes washing up liquid) in one bucket.

Use a microfibre (not a spong as it holds dirt and will cause swirling), dip it in the plain water always before dipping in the shampoo.

You then hose down again (this is a good opportunity to use your pure).

You then use a proper drying towel (available at cleanmycar.com) to PAD it dry, not wipe it dry, as again, you will avoid swirls.

The reason I know this, is because I found out the hard way I was cleaning my black van wrong and caused swirls myself.

I used a guy called Neil at NCB detailing and have become quite friendly with him, getting him jobs from my customers.

Once you get into a pattern with this method of cleaning, it doesn’t take as long as it sounds ?

I think that’s the longest post I’ve ever done ?
Yes 2 bucket method is best, my wife has a black car but it's still ended up with a few swirl marks, I use the purple monster drying towels  or clean your cars own drying towel with Bouncer's Done & Dusted you mist on the paintwork whilst wet a panel at a time and it leaves a layer of protection between washes you can use it on glass and plastics as well so the whole car gets sprayed as I am drying, but if are buying stuff form clean your car then this is also really good FinishKare #425 again its fine on glass 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes 2 bucket method is best, my wife has a black car but it's still ended up with a few swirl marks, I use the purple monster drying towels  or clean your cars own drying towel with Bouncer's Done & Dusted you mist on the paintwork whilst wet a panel at a time and it leaves a layer of protection between washes you can use it on glass and plastics as well so the whole car gets sprayed as I am drying, but if are buying stuff form clean your car then this is also really good FinishKare #425 again its fine on glass 
I also had Neil put a ceramic coating over my van as well, which helps ?

I also had Neil put a ceramic coating over my van as well, which helps ?
I had to google that one, I am not that up to date with detailing a mate of mine is pure O.C.D which I used to be years ago spending around 4 hours+ a week and I've never really got back into it so I just do the basics which takes me about 45 minutes or so

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Don't worry, no plans to start a business in it, window cleaning going far to well! 

Just got a new car and its white so forever dirty! Trying to figure out the best way of keeping it clean. We have a touchless car wash were I live. At £5 for 10 minutes its dead reasonable, but when I need to clean the thing 3 times a week it quickly adds up! ?

So thinking of making my own DIY version round the side of my house. Mate suggested it. Keep power washer and all bits in a locked unit all plugged up and ready to go. Simply pull car up and start washing!

Thanks, I will. The van I'm not too worried about. As long as it's clean swirl marks and that don't matter. Plan on changing it very few years anyway. The car, though, is my baby! ?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Don't worry, no plans to start a business in it, window cleaning going far to well! 

Just got a new car and its white so forever dirty! Trying to figure out the best way of keeping it clean. We have a touchless car wash were I live. At £5 for 10 minutes its dead reasonable, but when I need to clean the thing 3 times a week it quickly adds up! ?

So thinking of making my own DIY version round the side of my house. Mate suggested it. Keep power washer and all bits in a locked unit all plugged up and ready to go. Simply pull car up and start washing!
Trouble is with car washes they don't use ph neutral car shampoo so it's similar to tfr also don't be tempted to be snow foaming your car on a regular basis as it will flat the paint again like tfr looks super shiny but the paint will feel flat to the touch once the damage is done as @steve garwood  recommended get yourself on Clean your car and buy some decent gear 

Why would you clean your van or car with a water fed pole ?? I can understand if you wanted to remove bird strike, Just get yourself a hose pipe and car brush, would take half the time surely.
Hmm maybe for some, but not for me. Its quick, the stuff is already there in the van and no drying after.

But I go to the car wash guys who do a ace job inside & out every 2-3 months as I don’t enjoy cleaning the inside myself. Costs £16.00 and 2 guys spend 10 minutes or so. 

Trouble is with car washes they don't use ph neutral car shampoo so it's similar to tfr also don't be tempted to be snow foaming your car on a regular basis as it will flat the paint again like tfr looks super shiny but the paint will feel flat to the touch once the damage is done as @steve garwood  recommended get yourself on Clean your car and buy some decent gear 
I’ll have a look at them. Got a plan for the car, been talking to a mate who is big on valeting and he’s helping us get the best stuff together. Plan is to get in sportless and keep it like that. We’ll see if I manage in, lol!

I’ll have a look at them. Got a plan for the car, been talking to a mate who is big on valeting and he’s helping us get the best stuff together. Plan is to get in sportless and keep it like that. We’ll see if I manage in, lol!
I very well rated double coat wax is https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/collinite-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax I have got some but just never got around to using it, a mate of mine is going to machine polish my wifes car so the plan is to get this on after the machine polish, a longterm client of mine has always used it and even after a 1-2 weeks of not washing his car in the winter his car has looked fairly clean in the past when I've seen it 

Back