Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

stream line 5kw heater

WCF

Help Support WCF:

tench0771

hi im going to treat my self to a water heater getting tired of gas as van can still freeze and your heater can brake 

how hot will a 5kw heater give u at the brush with 100m of hose out compaired to a 9kw heater window cleaning werehouse sell a 5kw £2,764 all in seems a bargin to me but will it give anough heat at the brush

hi im going to treat my self to a water heater getting tired of gas as van can still freeze and your heater can brake 

how hot will a 5kw heater give u at the brush with 100m of hose out compaired to a 9kw heater window cleaning werehouse sell a 5kw £2,764 all in seems a bargin to me but will it give anough heat at the brush
On my test bed it raised a 1.5lpm flow of water from 9 degrees to 35 degrees at the brush head with 95% of the hose coiled up on the hose reel.

What I didn't check was what the flow rate of 1.5lpm increased to with the water being hotter. Had I turned the flow down a bit, then it could possibily have been a bit hotter at the brush head. It could have been a little higher than 2lpm on the exact same controller setting.

So a single operator I would say that's more than ample. But a large portion of the heat produced goes out of the exhaust.

There is another windie on the other forum who has cut up a cheap chinese air heater and is using the exhaust heat to heat his water.  He has redirected the exhaust heat into a long tube inside which he has a coiled copper tube which acts as a heat exchanger. He has also used a 50psi plumbing relief valve so when he switches his water off at hjis Univalve the increased pressure diverts hot water back into his tank. So he keeps his modified heater working most of the day.

Toward the end of the day his heat at the brush head is hotter as the water in his tank is warmer. He is recording temps of around 67 degrees.

My advice would be get the 9kw if you can afford it , a 5kw will give you hotish water in the summer and Luke warm in the winter , with 100 m of hose put in winter it’s not going to give you much heat at all , I have a grippatank 9kw two man system and Evan on a frosty morning it will give you hot water with 100 meters put , Ime not totaly sure of temperature at the brush but it has to be at least 40 + degrees with two hoses running . 

thanks for the reply so i have my controler set to 50 as i like a high flow will that only give me luke warm at brush?

rite think 9kw it is then there price difference ant that much ,if i get the one from window cleaning werehouse its a 2 opperator 9kw can this be used as a single opperator and give same heat as a single opprator 9kw

thanks for the reply so i have my controler set to 50 as i like a high flow will that only give me luke warm at brush?

Thats my personal opinion yes , we run our 9kw with two man system on a setting of 64 on the controllers and today with an air temp of 9 degrees we had steam coming off the windows I didn’t check the water temp at the brush but you couldn’t put your hand under it for more than a couple of seconds , not everyone will agree with this but everyone I know that bought the 5 kw has wished they had gone for the 9kw evan sole traders working on there own 

cheers m8 ill get the 9kw one then as dont want to waste money on something im not happy with , also do u use splt charge unit for it and how many battorys and size do u use

rite think 9kw it is then there price difference ant that much ,if i get the one from window cleaning werehouse its a 2 opperator 9kw can this be used as a single opperator and give same heat as a single opprator 9kw

Ime not overly sure how there system is set is set up but my advice would be use one hose to clean the windows with : and the spare one as a feed back to your tank during the morning it will heat up your tank and by lunch time in the summer you will find that you can turn the boiler off and use the hot water from the tank . When driving between jobs connect your hose reel into your tank so water is constantly returning to the tank then when you get to the next job the water is hot straight away , you don’t want the boiler constantly shutting down it needs to be running constantly to prevent carbon build up on the screen and pin , mine is now 4 years old never been serviced and run for over 8000 hours 

cheers m8 ill get the 9kw one then as dont want to waste money on something im not happy with , also do u use splt charge unit for it and how many battorys and size do u use

I have 2 ,200 amp heavy duty gell batteries over kill but sometimes we work away from home so need to be able to work 2-3 days without charging. I don’t have a split charge relay as when I bought the van it wouldn’t work as it has Konetic charging now you can get b to b chargers , mine is charged by a marine grade charging system a mate of mine is a marine electrician he fitted its not  cheap but an exelent piece of kit , I would say if you had 2x 110 heavy duty batteries and charge them up each night you will be ok  ,I wouldn’t want to have anything less , these heaters need a good power supply they use a lot of amps when starting up but once running use a lot less power, 

I agree with everything that Pjj has said. I have a 5kw heater in one van and a 9kw in another. As said, the 5kw will get you warm water but not hot, but with the 9kw even with 100 mtrs out in cold weather still pushes out hot water that you can’t hold your hands under. 

Battery wise i use 2x160 amp leoch batteries and I charge every night. Try calling alpha batteries, gave some good advice and also reasonable on price. 

go for the 9kw as the 5kw wont be hot enough.....by the way its nearly 4k including VAT and this is without a smart split charge relay,2x 105ah numax batteries and fitting!it would be cheaper to go to grippatank!mine cost me around £4.5k including all of the above and fitting....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back