Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bad Customers Returning (or Attempting To))

Master Jedi Alejandro

Premium Member
Just had a belter at my mother’s business. She runs a child care and due to the nature of the work, it’s unfortunately very easy for a customer to run up a large bill and then try and skip payment. 

Last year she had this one mother, who had been fine, start with all the usual excuses. She stopped using the service but had a large outstanding bill. She would put the phone down whenever my mother called (she would use different numbers) so it got to the point she started calling her work number to chase up the payment. - To add insult to injury, she worked at another child care, so knew fine well the issues unpaid bills can cause. - Anyway, she didn’t like this and eventually got in touch to say she was getting her ‘lawyer’ friend involved as it was ‘wrong’ to call her place of work and ask for her. She did however pay the bill and that was that. 

Fast forward to today. This same woman started messaging us through our various forms of contact, enquiring if we have a space available for her son starting next month! I mean, how brazen does one have to be? Or do folk literally have gold fish memories? I’m so taken aback by it I don’t actually know how to reply. I recon ignoring the enquires is the best route. She can’t kick up a fuss if we don’t say anything. 

This got me wondering, anyone had this with window cleaning? To be honest, I didn’t think it possible until today! ?

At least you know what you're dealing with, personally don't get the binned for life policy some have. If you have space then payment upfront is the only way I'd take anyone back, if they don't want to do that then tell them to find somewhere else.

At least you know what you're dealing with, personally don't get the binned for life policy some have. If you have space then payment upfront is the only way I'd take anyone back, if they don't want to do that then tell them to find somewhere else.
You see, we have and do offer that to some folk, but due to the headache she caused and threats she made, she’s not getting that option.  

Binned for life is my policy. No exceptions! It would probably end in worry and frustration and possibly loss of money. I doubt it would turn out well. Anyway, and much more importantly. I have self value. I give loyalty and integrity. It has to be a two-way street, nothing less is acceptable. Any disloyalty, ie: trying someone cheaper or frequently messing with payments or access and there's no coming back under any circumstances. I have no difficulty telling ex customers, in fact I get a quiet satisfaction. I can think of at least two people I've told that to, off the top of my head. One for the first reason and one for the second. They were taken aback as they weren't expecting it. They thought coming back would be a done deal. How many times I've had to put with c*** when I was working for other people, ie most of my life. An important mantra of mine is decide your boundaries and hold the line. 

MJA, you've answered your own question with your second post, I reckon. And probably gone someway to proving my point. I say again : Don't tolerate messers. 

Good luck ?

Hey guys! Thanks for replies. My apologies, though, I wasn’t looking for advice, I was looking to start a thread with experiences! Wanted to see if anyone had had this happen in window cleaning. I just know how funny the ‘Moan’ threads can be! ?

The woman probably cant get her son in any place else, probably bad credit rating. I believe business is going in a pay before direction. Was talking to a big recycler company and I ask what they do about shops bumping them? He said we now ask for 3 months payment up front. Think this is the way forward with most companies now.

so it got to the point she started calling her work number to chase up the payment
I have more experience than I 2500 words can explain with regards to debt collecting. The biggest advice however would be that you should never ever contact someone at their place of work. Should you ever take a debt to court the judge will throw it out on harassment grounds straight away if you have contacted a work place or spoken about the debt in front of a friend or neighbour (In the street basically)

I was a store manager for a rent to own retailer before I became a window cleaner. Bad customers coming back was so common it was unreal. Sometimes they would change their date of birth to fool the system, others would get their partner to sign up. You would literally get 2-3 per week in a large store. That job was different to any other sales job i'd ever done in that we managed the account after the sale. If a customer didn't pay their bill we went to their house personally and knocked the door to ask what had happened. after 3 months of chasing them they stopped chasing them and basically wrote the goods off. It happened so much its unreal. When people rip on these lenders and say they're con merchants they truly don't understand its the behaviour of people like that making them charge so much (Not solely of course). Some would sign up for 55 inch TV's and only make the first payment then not answer the door for 3 months and we went away.

she was getting her ‘lawyer’ friend involved
These types of people are serial debtors. The amount of times in my 3 and a half years I heard this or  ''i'm going to call my solicitor''.... You haven't got a solicitor nor a friend who is a solicitor. Anyone who is friends with a solicitor wouldn't expect them to work for free, my friends don't even ask me to clean their windows for free.

The other popular things we were told were;

Someone died

Have been in hospital

Lost my bank card

Fraud on my account.... This was most common. In my 34 years on this earth I have never had my card cloned or ''fraud on my bank account'' but I can confidently tell you that over 50% of debtors used to tell me that each time.

Something for you all to laugh at....

Last July a woman got in touch via our website. I went out to do the quote and as I walked up I went to walk away because I recognised the house. Before I could walk off she was at the door. I took it head on and reminded her where I used to work. We were at her house every few weeks. We only knocked the door if the customer didn't pay or contact us to explain why they hadn't paid. This means I knew she was the type who didn't care if she didn't pay something. First clean - payment on the day. Second clean - Ran 4 weeks late and then paid the night before the next clean was due but cancelled the clean... Said she had a busy month so forgot to pay and didn't think they needed doing every 4 weeks so would call me.... I stupidly said she needs to move to 8 weeks to stay on the round, more expensive and she agreed to it... Cleaned them in October I think on the new 8 weekly price for which she hasn't paid. She has opened emails and not responded. Should have known better!

Yes you should because you knew the animal you were dealing with. We all take on customers hoping to get paid, so if you already know they're bad payers then proforma or nothing. 
My attitude with that one was that I might as well as i'm there. If she kept paying I would keep going. Realistically I lost 20 mins of my time, a few pence of pure water and about 1 miles worth of diesel. The 2 cleans she did pay for easily covered costs and while working in the area I picked up 4 other customers.... But I agree I have absolutely no right to complain about not being paid ?

Back