Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

PICKUP TRUCKS ssss

adamangler

Wakefield Window Warrior
So im thinking about getting a pickup truck

who has used one and what do you think ? whats the biggest tank you can get in there ?

it only needs to house tank, leccy hose reel and pole really, any spares could go in the cab

@Iron Giant i know you had one,  did you find it ok for window cleaning ?

Ideal window cleaning and dual-purpose vehicle more so if you have kids, Based on an L200, for example, your biggest tank would be a 400ltr flat tank which will fill the whole of load bed front to back leaving around 6" of space, I had a pump-box down one side and some hefty timbers down the other to prevent sideways shift.

If you have a full hardtop/canopy fitted to the back then I would recommend having some treated marine ply board fitted on top of the tank and have the reel bolted to that that's if you are going with a Wyedale tank, Otherwise you could have a custom built tank like the one in the second pic which is fitted in a Ford Ranger and looks like a tank made by http://www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk/32.html based in Oldham which maybe isn't that far from you

20160917_085658.jpg

47573379_1978265438929013_8753289391020965888_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No good for wfp window cleaners as they don’t fit much in. Massive payload but that’s mainly for towing. I know a few lads that have em that run other businesses also and none of em use them for work. They just plaster them in sign writing and give em to the mrs to drive about as the family car and chuck em through the books as an expense so really just a tax dodge.  Plus I’d imagine they use a lot of fuel especially if your start/stopping all day. If you want more seats I’d go with a lwb double cab van. 

If you are going for a double cab the load bed will probably be too short to fit poles in. They are expensive to run, fuel/tyres. And more difficult to park, longer and **** turning circle mostly. 

They are no more expensive to run than a transit lwb type van as for tyres stick some all-terrain tyres on and they will last years a lot longer than highway tyres, poles can be placed on the top of a flat tank at an angle I never had any issues in almost 7 years  

Will be as a second vehicle, for to be used for work, family, fishing etc.

Also as cleanco point out I will be putting it through my ltd company as a company car for tax reasons.

Will keep van for employee 

What's the mpg like on the l200 @Iron Giant

Also as cleanco point out I will be putting it through my ltd company as a company car for tax reasons.

Check the size if your using it for fishing. One of my mates is an avid angler and he was looking at one but he said you couldn’t fit his rods in. He ended up getting a shogun sport. 

No good for wfp window cleaners as they don’t fit much in. Massive payload but that’s mainly for towing. I know a few lads that have em that run other businesses also and none of em use them for work. They just plaster them in sign writing and give em to the mrs to drive about as the family car and chuck em through the books as an expense so really just a tax dodge.  Plus I’d imagine they use a lot of fuel especially if your start/stopping all day. If you want more seats I’d go with a lwb double cab van. 
I agree. I think it's much better to have a van (but not too small). Same sort of footprint but much larger carrying capacity, proper steel roof if you needed to carry ladders for gutter emptying and simpler, two wheel drive, drive train. More secure inside as well, I would think. Oh and a bigger moving billboard if you have good sign writing done. However if you have your heart set on a pick up, I'm sure it can be made to do the job. I hope it works out very well for you. ?

The mpg can do what Mitsubishi says it does but in our job on a daily basis mpg means almost nothing with short runs and stop starts, I don't agree with some of the comments on here in all honesty unless you have owned a pickup you really don't get what they are about or how practical they are on the whole as a dual purpose vehicle.

I would have another one tomorrow no question but as there was only me in my last truck 99.9% of the time after my wife got her own car I really saw no point in having a 17ft truck with 5 seats just for me it really was more of an indulgence on my part 

Hi folks, I had a Toyota Hi Lux pick up (two seater) with a fibreglass, high roof body for about four years. It was a very good reliable truck but was frustrating in many ways.

The ride was like being on a sea swell. The roof wasn't strong enough to carry even moderately heavy loads, sea kayaks etc. Or high enough to get large loads inside. The tailgate was not secure enough to carry valuable goods inside without worrying and if the back wasn't fairly full everything slid so far forward I had to crawl inside to retrieve it. Loading, and working could only be done from the tailgate and the turning circle was huge. For work now I use a medium sized van with sliding doors both sides and barn doors at the rear. Two work stations. One at the left sliding door for my son and one at the back for me, out of each other's way. 

Having said all that. I wanted a pick up at the time, and I fully understand the attraction. This is just an honest appraisal of my, truck experience. 

Good luck to everyone, whatever your choice of steed. ?

The mpg can do what Mitsubishi says it does but in our job on a daily basis mpg means almost nothing with short runs and stop starts, I don't agree with some of the comments on here in all honesty unless you have owned a pickup you really don't get what they are about or how practical they are on the whole as a dual purpose vehicle.

I would have another one tomorrow no question but as there was only me in my last truck 99.9% of the time after my wife got her own car I really saw no point in having a 17ft truck with 5 seats just for me it really was more of an indulgence on my part 

ok cheers, yes my girlfriend has her own car for the kids etc so i really just want one for an indulgence lol

i know a van is probably more practical and better on fuel and also like i say my gf has a car for the kids so dont really need one....i just want one because well i work hard and just want something nice to be totally honest but obviously it needs to be practical for work also as no point getting one just to sit on my drive whilst i use the van.

Hey mate!. Get a pick up. You'll be impossible to live with if you don't, I reckon. ?I fully understand it's something you want to do. It's your life, do your thing and enjoy it. I really wanted a pickup at the time and I did have some fun with it. My honest observations are based on my personal experience. I'm converted to van life now but long live diversity. 

Enjoy your trucking, if you do go that route. ?

Hi Fella

I have had a l200 for 5 years, it's never missed a beat and is pretty bullet proof. Will probably brake now I have said this like. Any how like I say it is mint to work out of way easier than a van, much quicker. Every thing at hand level and no climbing in or out. The down side is, it's heavy on fuel, and heavy to drive. Mint in the snow like. 

Best of luck.

Hi Fella

I have had a l200 for 5 years, it's never missed a beat and is pretty bullet proof. Will probably brake now I have said this like. Any how like I say it is mint to work out of way easier than a van, much quicker. Every thing at hand level and no climbing in or out. The down side is, it's heavy on fuel, and heavy to drive. Mint in the snow like. 

Best of luck.
It's just like driving a tank but you get used to it ? I am guessing you and the lads never stopped the other week in the snow  

Hi Fella

Your right, worked through it.

Was brutal though, one has ended up with chill blanes on his feet.

Ouch.
It was really cold like even decent thermal socks don't always work, I have some proper winter boots with thermal insoles which are good down to -25 as my feet can get really cold, but they're no good after 18 below but it will not get that cold here hopefully 

Back