Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Moss off of Asphalt driveway

WCF

Help Support WCF:

sking

Hi,

Was curious of the best way to clean embeeded moss from asphalt driveway...as I'm guessing jet wash will rip up floor. Will hypo work?

Thanks!

Screenshot_20190213-081235_Gallery.jpg

With it as bad as that I would spray with a weed killer leave for a week brush off the worst of it then pressure wash using a flat surface cleaner , don’t use the pressure washer on full power cut back the revs if it’s a delicate surface . You could use hypo mix on it but there is a lot of moss there I think weed killer would kill right down into the root system better 

With it as bad as that I would spray with a weed killer leave for a week brush off the worst of it then pressure wash using a flat surface cleaner , don’t use the pressure washer on full power cut back the revs if it’s a delicate surface . You could use hypo mix on it but there is a lot of moss there I think weed killer would kill right down into the root system better 
Hi, i really wanted to get it done in a day due to it being a customer wishes!

Unfortunately I don't have a flat surface cleaner...only one for the electric karcher which isn't great!

Unfortunatley i have experience with this ****.....moss on tarmac is the worst, reason being its roots have replaced the bitumen between the particles and now when you take the moss out with a pressure washer the particles are coming out too. if you take a pressure cleaning approach your going to strip a lot of tarmac off no matter how low a pressure you use as like I said the moss is going to be holding it together having got in amongst it. best case scenario is to kill the moss (use a mosskiller or weedkiller will do it) take a deck brush and scrape it out after its dead, then persuade your customer to have it restored (check smartseal as they have a good product for that) you can get it looking great but itll be a good amount of work and you'll need to use a bit of caution

Moss will grow where it is wet and cool so prevention would involve improving drainage and allowing more sunlight to the area. This might not always be possible.

There are 3 ways that I know of to remove the moss, you can manually remove it by brushing (hard work), pressure wash it (could potentially damage the surface), or use chemicals. The best way I think is to use a chemical and the best I know is MMC pro

Last edited by a moderator:
This was part of a substantial carpark clean, that was only part of a full clean to the site, including concrete service yard, full cladding clean, all Tarmac paving & other areas.

A repeat clean from the client, 3 years after the initial clean, it's booked in for the next clean.

IMG_1398.jpg IMG_1403.jpg

I must be a bit of a 'Tarmac perv' because I love the stuff.

This is heavily shadowed by lots of trees & the whole site is the same, possibly in slightly better nick than the OP's driveway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back