Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaners whom use a car with back packs

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mr Clean

Hi,

Hope you are all well.  I am seeking advice on how to kit out my car best possible for window cleaning.  Firstly, I am unable to get a van due to partly funds but mainly space to put it as have 3 other cars in family.  So I use my car and it works well, my filling depot is close by right in the middle of my work area, so works very well.

I am just wanting to know form other car users how you may go about water proffing your car or what set ups you have.  I use barrels  in car and boot and place my back pack gardiner in the boot of my FORD FOCUS. I fill up at the wate depot and do not have to remove the barrels from the car so easy enough I find the water can spill time to time but the barrels seem to get wet on outside and damp the seats and boot.....So.

1) Do oyu have a storeage system like plastic boxes to put barrels in? or whats best?

2) Any wet proof covers or lining available?

3) Was thinking of making a pull in pull out plastic set of boxes cut down for boot but not sure its best idea?

4) So any advice on set ups, kool ease of use ideas? best prevention of damp seats boot linning.

5) Is there a system that i can put into my barrel and it transfers water to my back pack? help on  the lifting???

Thank you very much interested to hear any advice.  All the best.

Are you looking to make this a business with a healthy income? Sell one of the 3 cars and go van mount. Working out of a car will never bring in as much money imo plus you'll look more professional in a van. 

Are you looking to make this a business with a healthy income? Sell one of the 3 cars and go van mount. Working out of a car will never bring in as much money imo plus you'll look more professional in a van. 
Hi Tuffers, Well I am doing four days a week 9-4odd each day flat out, prob about average 18 house a day so its a decent income as you no we make a decent living.  No expense on car really, petrol use it personal use to, no finance etc. its quick to get cleaning pull out back pack fill it up and away go. No other expenses bar water deot where I get a good deal and its bang in the middle of my work area so i flat out the water rate so good cleaning and fast as water flys out no penny pinching on water. I would like a van but to be honest with you it wont get me much more work done how quick can you go....I am not that bothered with saving a few seconds or minute a house and have to buy a van and pay extra on the van...I have looked into it all very well and not much in tbh not to warrent the hassle of another vehicle, the other cars are my kids and we have four sorry on here now, in a newish estate and parkign is not possible near my house when drive is full up, so bit of an issue....I love my car tbh its comfy and does the job get abotu and do as much as van drivers. Just want to

look after it a little more inside and any ideas on set ups inside and little tweeks for easier use.  The filling of the barrels is only down side I feel but its all so much easier than ladder work and carrying them about and loading on the car each clean. 

Yeah so just after advice on getting best out the car set up for ease and protection of the car inside. ? I could sell the kids cars lol but think i might get a mouthfull  ?

I use a green plastic tarp in the boot of my car turned up at the edges. My PF trolley and six barrels fit in the boot perfect. My hand tools and cloths go in a Plastic box and two buckets on the back seat. My round is such that I can do three to three and a half hours of work with six barrels. I'm home for lunch every day so I fill up again for the afternoon.

I agree that a van looks more professional if you work from it but as my rounds are best suited to a trolley, my customers would seldom see it anyhow so it makes no odds to me. I will probably work with a trolley from a car till I retire.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is what you want to transfer the water to your backpack from the barrels.

From Gardiner's.

View attachment 15754

I used to have barrels in the back of my car and I used a tarp. Everything still got damp though and it didn't do the suspension much good!
Thank you very much, that looks great I will check that out, save me pouring and moving barrels, nice.  What kinda battery would you need with that? maybe it comes with one or option.  Thank you again, that is great.  I load 200l in car so under the lmit of my car, i put them across the car so in foot wells, on the seats and 3 in boot, so spread out so not that heavy in one place, bit of weight but could ahve 4 other people in the car would not be far off this weight. I sure my boot can take 3 barrels, i see guys with 5 or 6 in a boot....lol  - usually use around 400-450L a day

I use a green plastic tarp in the boot of my car turned up at the edges. My PF trolley and six barrels fit in the boot perfect. My hand tools and cloths go in a Plastic box and two buckets on the back seat. My round is such that I can do three to three and a half hours of work with six barrels. I'm home for lunch every day so I fill up again for the afternoon.

I agree that a van looks more professional if you work from it but as my rounds are best suited to a trolley, my customers would seldom see it anyhow so it makes no odds to me. I will probably work with a trolley from a car till I retire.
Hi Marko067 - Thank you for the reply. I just kooked online screwfix selel a tarp linder that sits in boot and up the sides and has a flip to protect the rear bumper, thats kool. I need somthing for my back seats now and passenger front seat, maybe car covers and some tarp over them.  Need a pole holder of somthing i can slid it into. 6 barrels in boot how does the car feel when driving? what car you have? I put 3x 20L barrels in my boot, i think thats fine prob under what it can take. My round suits a trolley,  I often see van mounts driving around or lagging long hose 100 foot up the road, dangerous and I would not like to do that personally, to much hassel and worry. I think my car too is fine for the job, just residential cleaning so customers dont care if you have a van or a car the end product for us all is 0 water ppm coming out our brush head....that is what the customers sees the quality of the clean.   have a good back pack thats reliable and a great carbon pole and brush, thats where the money should go on. I think ill retire in my car too. When I left my banking role in london I really looked into the what do customers want and feel they prefer the non over pro way and just a honest regular reliable guy they trust and get on with, it works for me no customer ever leave and growing well, only a few days to fill up now. Each to their own and the way their round works for them, like you mine is suited to trolley back pack set up, so works well, id have a night mare lagging loads hose about or trying to find a nearest parking spot. 

Line the back with this, just lined the back of my van with it

View attachment 15755
Thank you very much I could under lay that for extra protection too... Thanks again ?

This is what you want to transfer the water to your backpack from the barrels.

From Gardiner's.

View attachment 15754

I used to have barrels in the back of my car and I used a tarp. Everything still got damp though and it didn't do the suspension much good!
Is that the one gardiners sell? Be careful with that one as it’s one of the larger ones (50mm I think) and will struggle to get in a lot of barrels as most of them are 50mm as well. Your better off with the one down for barrels. That’s great for filling out your main tank though. 

I’ll also add that I worked out of a car for years when I first started up. Was mainly trad though. Really dont understand the perception of it not being professional. 

Hi Marko067 - Thank you for the reply. I just kooked online screwfix selel a tarp linder that sits in boot and up the sides and has a flip to protect the rear bumper, thats kool. I need somthing for my back seats now and passenger front seat, maybe car covers and some tarp over them.  Need a pole holder of somthing i can slid it into. 6 barrels in boot how does the car feel when driving? what car you have? I put 3x 20L barrels in my boot, i think thats fine prob under what it can take. My round suits a trolley,  I often see van mounts driving around or lagging long hose 100 foot up the road, dangerous and I would not like to do that personally, to much hassel and worry. I think my car too is fine for the job, just residential cleaning so customers dont care if you have a van or a car the end product for us all is 0 water ppm coming out our brush head....that is what the customers sees the quality of the clean.   have a good back pack thats reliable and a great carbon pole and brush, thats where the money should go on. I think ill retire in my car too. When I left my banking role in london I really looked into the what do customers want and feel they prefer the non over pro way and just a honest regular reliable guy they trust and get on with, it works for me no customer ever leave and growing well, only a few days to fill up now. Each to their own and the way their round works for them, like you mine is suited to trolley back pack set up, so works well, id have a night mare lagging loads hose about or trying to find a nearest parking spot. 

Thank you very much I could under lay that for extra protection too... Thanks again ?

A litre of water weights 1kg plus the plastic drum. 3 x plastic drums weight 60kgs. The weight of an adult is around 75 - 80 kgs unless they are like me. Depending on your car , most will take 2 adults and an older child on the back seat if the car is a 5 seater. So you could put a few more barrels of water in the back. 

If you can put the back seat down then that's even better.

There are a few around our parts who tow a small trailer with all their daily water requirements in that. I've counted between 12 and 15 drums in one of the trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:

I use a large square tarp folded over then turned up at the sides. Think I bought it from Aldis when they had them in. Bought two a couple of years back so had one as spare. I sill haven't got onto the second one as they're so tough. I drive a Nissan Primera P11 20yrs old this summer. It drives as though you have three small adults in the back when it's loaded up with water. However, it doesn't stay like that for long as I'm emptying it out constantly. I also am only using an 18mtr length of hose most of the time and sometimes only ten depending on where I'm working. 

Hi there if you want save a lot of money. Which those pumps are use this method. So easy and quick. And almost free! 

Also. I use 10 metres of hose for 90 percent of my work. And even that is too much on most jobs. Usefell though,  as you can leave the backpack near the back gate if a bin is blocking it and get to all the windows on the back from that however if you need to leave the backpack in the car for whatever reason due to it being a rough area or you simply cannot get  to the back because you have to go up and over a garage roof access then leave the backpack  back in the car wind the window down put the hose through the window then wind the window back up so it’s secure and add an extra 10 to 15 metres to get you round the back ( use full power) you can have that on and off when you are using those specific difficult jobs and the extra hose in a large waterproof ziplock bag but normally just 10 m by itself will get you everywhere apart from if you have to leave the backpack on the front thanks.  

I'm Backpack only I've got a Berlingo Car with a 210 Litre Tank in it, I also have one Backpack permanently situated in the Van to work from the Van, I have 2 other Backpacks Gardiner one and a Lite Boy for through the House Work, I fill my Backpacks from a Bilge Pump mounted in the Tank wired to a Leisure Battery and Switch Box which has a Marine Vacuum Hose attached to a Fuel Delivery Gun and it takes 30 seconds to fill a Backpack I used to use 25 Litre Barrels (nightmare), I have 3 hoses they are all Rhino Tube with PU Hose up the pole to operate the Univalve, these hoses are 8 metres, 12 metres and 20 metres they have Slick Connectors and can be joined I also carry four 10 litre containers on the Car and with all 3 Backpacks filled I hold about 270 Litres I can push it to 300 Litres if I need to more than enough for me .  

I also work out of a car. Manage on 125L a day (4 barrells in the boot), and backpack on back seat full.  I use a tarp and rubber mat but damp does still get through.  I think it's worse at this time of year.  I could do with improving my set up like mentioned above, my problem is I'm still heavily split with trad so need space for all the trad gear + there's two of us.  I will go for a van soon, but am not completely convinced that Van mount is a recipe for more profit.  I reckon I'll just get a tank and then work from backpacks.  Each to their own.

I used to put a folded plastic sheet under a few blankets when I worked out of the car, after a while I bit the bullet and bought a swb trafic. My daughter ( in the pic) used to shout me when the drums were nearly full ?

9F803EAA-4B67-481B-9769-F50471E06F83.jpeg

I also work out of a car. Manage on 125L a day (4 barrells in the boot), and backpack on back seat full.  I use a tarp and rubber mat but damp does still get through.  I think it's worse at this time of year.  I could do with improving my set up like mentioned above, my problem is I'm still heavily split with trad so need space for all the trad gear + there's two of us.  I will go for a van soon, but am not completely convinced that Van mount is a recipe for more profit.  I reckon I'll just get a tank and then work from backpacks.  Each to their own.
I can tell you Van Mount wouldn't be quicker on my work, with my Backpack set up there isn't a job I can't do I work with my wife and we do a Residential Home it has 22 flats in it and Communal Windows it's a £200 job and it takes us one and a half hours the car stays in one place and we refill Backpacks 6 times for the whole job that's 3 times each. 

I can tell you Van Mount wouldn't be quicker on my work, with my Backpack set up there isn't a job I can't do I work with my wife and we do a Residential Home it has 22 flats in it and Communal Windows it's a £200 job and it takes us one and a half hours the car stays in one place and we refill Backpacks 6 times for the whole job that's 3 times each. 
do you have a charger in the car for the backpacks or do they last the day on one charge? 

do you have a charger in the car for the backpacks or do they last the day on one charge? 
The gardiners backpacks are fantastic and last me the whole day, comfortably.  Charge them at the end of day.  Still on my original one (18 months now), battery still good, but had to replace the pump a couple of months back (£22).

That's good to know.  My hand will be forced on a van though as I'm just really struggling on space but I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking to backpacks on a trolley!

this thread has made me question spending on a van system or just buying another 6 x 25 litre containers and carrying on as I am with 2 backpacks. 

I worked out of a car with barrels and a trolley. Would I go back to using a car? WIF!!! Can someone tell me that filling backpacks all day long and lugging them about is quicker than pulling a hose out the back of a van?

Question; do backpack users feel they have to skimp on water?

Back