Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

More Car Problems

Joshyouare

Hi again guys, hope you're all well.

Made a post a bit ago, saying how my car needed 500 of repairs when the car itself was worth 1000. Didn't know what to do, long story short I struggled to get the money but somehow got it repaired. Since then I sold it, bought a cheap van and then sold that (after it getting broke in to and making a 100 pounds loss). Then I've had an 07 Astra for a few weeks, which is now in central Leeds somewhere, as I had to leave it because it was smoking from some part of radiator system. Not got it looked at yet but people seem to be saying head gasket from what i've described. 

I'm obviously going to have it looked at before I make a decision but my questions are, should I go back to the dealer and complain? 

And, these car repairs are just getting ridiculous for me, I'm only going to do WFP tops so I could probably even get away with a small car, so if I decide to get rid of the car, would you guys advise getting a 0-1000 £ car or getting something new on finance? Is there anything I should know about different car makes because I just seem hopeless at cars or maybe just unlucky.

Looks like i'm walking with ladders on my shoulder for a few weeks.

I know this isn't a car forum but I also know 95% of you will be more experienced than me and I don't really have anyone to go to around me, thanks again ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
All you can really do is try and pick something that has got a full service history and then stick with it.  So when you sold the car after spending £500 well that was probably a bad decision.  Pick the correct vehicle for you and then be prepared to pay a little bit more than the average price so you get something that has a very good service history, then be prepared to run and maintain it, if the gearbox goes then get it repaired, if the electrics go then get it repaired.  Jumping from one vehicle to the next won't solve the problems, it's like gambling with vehicles.  

I bought my peugeot partner van 53 plate about 12 years ago for £5k.  It was a fleet vehicle with full service history and 38,000 miles on the clock, also has LPG.  I have been extremely happy with it, I never spend anything extra on it because I'm always skint but it's been an extremely good buy, I just wish I could have looked after it better.  Over the years I've had a new gearbox, new exhausts, new batteries, new starter motor and had a problem with the onboard circuit board that needed replacing but when you weigh up how long I've had the vehicle then it's just normal.  I've probably spent less than £200 per year on it. 

One thing I will say is try and get something 2003 or newer, the cars designed around this period and onwards in my opinion seem better manufactured and more reliable.  At a guess I'd say that there must have been advances in design and technology coupled with the booming economy around this time.   Do your homework to avoid the 'known' duds that might suffer things like head gasket failures.  Every vehicle has some sort of design fault that rears it's head years down the line, just stay clear of the known bad ones.

All you can really do is try and pick something that has got a full service history and then stick with it.  So when you sold the car after spending £500 well that was probably a bad decision.  Pick the correct vehicle for you and then be prepared to pay a little bit more than the average price so you get something that has a very good service history, then be prepared to run and maintain it, if the gearbox goes then get it repaired, if the electrics go then get it repaired.  Jumping from one vehicle to the next won't solve the problems, it's like gambling with vehicles.  

I bought my peugeot partner van 53 plate about 12 years ago for £5k.  It was a fleet vehicle with full service history and 38,000 miles on the clock, also has LPG.  I have been extremely happy with it, I never spend anything extra on it because I'm always skint but it's been an extremely good buy, I just wish I could have looked after it better.  Over the years I've had a new gearbox, new exhausts, new batteries, new starter motor and had a problem with the onboard circuit board that needed replacing but when you weigh up how long I've had the vehicle then it's just normal.  I've probably spent less than £200 per year on it. 

One thing I will say is try and get something 2003 or newer, the cars designed around this period and onwards in my opinion seem better manufactured and more reliable.  At a guess I'd say that there must have been advances in design and technology coupled with the booming economy around this time.   Do your homework to avoid the 'known' duds that might suffer things like head gasket failures.  Every vehicle has some sort of design fault that rears it's head years down the line, just stay clear of the known bad ones.
Yeah thanks, sold the first one because it was way too small, would have got a lot less for scrap/sold as spares too so was probably the best option.

But yeah, guess I sort of have to stick to one (which was the plan with the astra but i'm not paying 800+ of repairs for a 1000 car).

Ive always bought old cheap vehicles, generally been quite lucky. Have scrapped a lot over the years though. If something cost me 500 or a grand and it lasted a year or two, maybe three thats fine. Try and find one off an older couple that have regularly serviced it etc and never thrashed it. Tyres, brakes etc, cant avoid them but clutch or gearbox etc needed, scrap it. One day I might get something decent but just dont need to really. Hopefully my customers will see im a poor boy and tip me more ?

That's a tough run. I'd guess pretty much, most, if not all of us on here have had similar stretches with vehicles. Tough and all as it is, I'd be very reluctant to take out car finance. Unless and only, if you definitely have a lot of good, well paid work, that you're very sure of. My worry for you is, that if you are trying to get by with fettling old cars you're finances may be fragile enough at the moment without the added pressure of meeting finance repayments for what could be quite a few years.

The very best of luck to you. Hope it turns round for you very soon. 

I would have thought you should get at least a 3 month warranty, if they say no then I would go to Citizens Advice. Don't tell them you've been using it to clean windows though.
Could be worth a try. Maybe even speak to Citizens Advice before you go back to the dealer. See what they suggest. 

Good luck. 

Latest Posts

Back