Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Still have pumping issues

Carts69

I recently posted regarding losing pressure at the brush head, I was told & believed myself it was cold weather related, but doubting it now as it’s still a problem with a pretty mild day today,  when water stops flowing I have to return to the van and restart the pump.. which incidentally is pulsing and flashing between 30 & P5.

May I add that the pump never seems to switch on with the first press, it takes 3/4 attempts to get it to start pumping, this is so frustrating and would love to cure these issues before it gets the rough treatment, pump is not that old by the way!

I recently posted regarding losing pressure at the brush head, I was told & believed myself it was cold weather related, but doubting it now as it’s still a problem with a pretty mild day today,  when water stops flowing I have to return to the van and restart the pump.. which incidentally is pulsing and flashing between 30 & P5.

May I add that the pump never seems to switch on with the first press, it takes 3/4 attempts to get it to start pumping, this is so frustrating and would love to cure these issues before it gets the rough treatment, pump is not that old by the way!

The water in your tank will be cold even if its a mild day.

P5  stands for pressure switch. The pressure switch is activating for some reason according to the controller.

My first suggestion would be to by pass the pressure switch as that might be triggering a false reading. On Shurflo pumps the pressure switch can be adjusted. Has this adjustment been altered for any reason or has something gone wrong inside the adjuster? By passing the pressure switch will discount that.

The other issue is that you could have a restriction somewhere in your hose or one of the connectors which is restricting the water pumped to your brush head. We found Hozelock stop connectors caused a restriction for some reason over time.

There was an issue once with the internal layer of hose delaminating and causing a blockage. It was suspected the damage was caused by vehicles running over it when it was laid across the road.

Could you try another hose reel?

I would also ensure that you have positive connections from the battery to your controller. Battery connections and the fuse holder are famous places to have issues.It could also be that the touch pads inside the controller need cleaning, although I have never had to do that with any of the Varistream digital controller we use.

Last edited by a moderator:

I sympathise , Ive been having pump troubles since I started year and half ago. Often now I  just use  backpack, as that never gives me trouble, even though it can be a pain to keep refilling. Im thinking of buying 4 or 5 of them, and then just go and plug in pole to ready to go full up back pack. Ive had six or seven people come and look/try and help, sometimes works for a month then back to square one. One more thing to try, but need to find who stocks it - a non return valve. You might try this too, it could help. Though I wonder why only some set ups need them? Also Im gonna put the pump down as low as it will go, and also raise the wyvale upright tank up on wood or something to get it higher. Though as before - why are some systems fine and dont need this? My dad was a good diy jack of all trades, he couldnt find the answer, same with my brother, and a good mate tried too. Really does my nut in, and more than once was ready to jack the whole lark in. Ive done all the sucking pipes/ running pump/ new battery/tightening /ptf tape etc. Sorry bud, got carried away, but good luck, try non return valve etc

For starters I would re calibrate the controller, see if this helps , also check all electrical connections make sure they are tight and not corroded especially the fuse holder any further problems give Ian Sheppard a call at spring controllers he is very helpful and knowledgeable guy 

Have you checked your system for airlocks?

which pump are you using, put a picture up of your system?

Check the charge on the battery,

our vans pop up with this every now and again and one of them keeps on blowing fuses until we had a new controller put in

Have you checked your system for airlocks?

which pump are you using, put a picture up of your system?

Check the charge on the battery,

our vans pop up with this every now and again and one of them keeps on blowing fuses until we had a new controller put in
Thanks guys... plenty of things to try, here is a pic of my system..

FE9B5113-F651-46B2-B571-4B3111B8AED9.jpeg

Thanks guys... plenty of things to try, here is a pic of my system..

View attachment 15778
I have the exact same pump and controller. Don't trust that the error messages are relevant to the problem.

If it is switching between reading P5 and DE then it may be that the battery is not charged. Usually when the battery is flat it flashes ''BAT'' on the display but not always. I can see a split charge on your battery, if that is the only charging you give the battery try taking it off and bench charging it for the night, then use a voltage meter to check its level regularly.

With regards to it restarting make sure you turn it to 0 before turning it off. Mine has sometimes had issues turning on when it is set to on so i turn it on at 0 and increase it as I want and then put it back to 0 before turning it off.

I have the exact same pump and controller. Don't trust that the error messages are relevant to the problem.

If it is switching between reading P5 and DE then it may be that the battery is not charged. Usually when the battery is flat it flashes ''BAT'' on the display but not always. I can see a split charge on your battery, if that is the only charging you give the battery try taking it off and bench charging it for the night, then use a voltage meter to check its level regularly.

With regards to it restarting make sure you turn it to 0 before turning it off. Mine has sometimes had issues turning on when it is set to on so i turn it on at 0 and increase it as I want and then put it back to 0 before turning it off.
Batteries last forever on a split relay ?, really surprised how some lads genuinely think or are even told by companies fitting a system that a split relay is sufficient when for a really high number of lads I would guess it won't be, they will have simply gotten by, by the skin of their teeth 

Batteries last forever on a split relay ?, really surprised how some lads genuinely think or are even told by companies fitting a system that a split relay is sufficient when for a really high number of lads I would guess it won't be, they will have simply gotten by, by the skin of their teeth 
I've just fitted one, first time i've bothered with it to be fair. Super paranoid though, i've got my meter thing to check it each night and put it on charge if needs be

If the controller is dead ending (DE) as well then you need to recalibrate @Carts69

If you have a van port then focus on that. Is water flowing from that OK? Then check the hose from the van port to the hose reel. Then pull all hose hose off the hose reel and run it down the street. Does that make any difference?

We have a Hozelock hose reel for the garden hose. Where it comes out of the center shaft/manifold onto the reel there is a 'sharp' edge. The coiled hose squeezes down on that point and restricts the water through the hose.

If the controller is dead ending (DE) as well then you need to recalibrate @Carts69

If you have a van port then focus on that. Is water flowing from that OK? Then check the hose from the van port to the hose reel. Then pull all hose hose off the hose reel and run it down the street. Does that make any difference?

We have a Hozelock hose reel for the garden hose. Where it comes out of the center shaft/manifold onto the reel there is a 'sharp' edge. The coiled hose squeezes down on that point and restricts the water through the hose.
I might even do that myself. worth eliminating and wont take five minutes to check ( unreeling the reel hose)

Is the pump start stopping when you have your brush fitted ? if so you will need to re set where your pump kicks in on your controller, just increase it until you have constant pressure coming out your brush. it may also be your pump is on the way out. I had to change out mine and that problem stooped and went back to the way it was before.

Is the pump start stopping when you have your brush fitted ? if so you will need to re set where your pump kicks in on your controller, just increase it until you have constant pressure coming out your brush. it may also be your pump is on the way out. I had to change out mine and that problem stooped and went back to the way it was before.
Cheers, ok the pump is not DE, the picture attached was taken when I first fitted it, may I also add that during cleaning it’s spluttering air occasionally, but thanks for all the replies, I’ve got plenty of things to try & hopefully one will cure this ongoing problem.

Straight off almost without question, you have an airlock as my beady eye sees a flat tank, flat tanks equal airlocks at various times throughout the day read my reply on the non-return valve post and you will have your answer, I used a flat tank for over 7 years and airlocks were a daily issue 

Straight off almost without question, you have an airlock as my beady eye sees a flat tank, flat tanks equal airlocks at various times throughout the day read my reply on the non-return valve post and you will have your answer, I used a flat tank for over 7 years and airlocks were a daily issue 
Iron, it’s infact a 350 litre upright tank but willing to try a non-return valve, where can I purchase one of these?

I’ve the exact same problem as of yesterday before the rain came on. I’ve turned flow up and also calibration. It will give plenty of water then stop and I go back to check and it’s flashing PS then few minute later it’s giving me another blast of water. ?

im going to try and by pass the pressure switch and if no joy then a new pump. Had a dementing. Situation before with a pump and it’s just not worth the ******* headache 

So just bypassed the PS and was working fine for 1 minute. Then nothing again and was flashing PS ?? I thought surely if it’s bypassed it would hardly still come up PS

So just bypassed the PS and was working fine for 1 minute. Then nothing again and was flashing PS ?? I thought surely if it’s bypassed it would hardly still come up PS
I had flow issues 2 weeks ago just before the battery went. Also had this same problem a long time ago (With P5 on the display) and ended up being that the battery was flat. I just don't trust that the error code actually relates to the problem ?‍♂️

I’m running another pump and 2 electric reels though that’s the only thing and they aren’t missing a beat. I think it’s time for a new pump just ?

Latest Posts

Back