Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

picture wont load up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Ive managed to attach  a pic, copied and pasted, it says not enough words so cant load it up. however, theres about 30 words with it. Any moderator about can put pic up or advise please

lol, I clicked on the non return valve thread and reply to this thread, and my pics there with writing, but wont go public for some reason.

here goes, have resized it and at
GetAttachmentThumbnail
tached it to my email, will try and copy and paste. Dont have camera on phone and pics are too many magabytes.

hooray. As you can see, have pump on the side, for many months this was great, airlocks seemed to have stopped, probably co-incidental but we tried it. Will set pump upright and lower, was thinking of getting it put in a plastic box, with the battery and controller, for ease when winter ice, but could be a pain keep re-connecting fittings etc.

here goes, have resized it and at tached it to my email, will try and copy and paste. Dont have camera on phone and pics are too many magabytes.

hooray. As you can see, have pump on the side, for many months this was great, airlocks seemed to have stopped, probably co-incidental but we tried it. Will set pump upright and lower, was thinking of getting it put in a plastic box, with the battery and controller, for ease when winter ice, but could be a pain keep re-connecting fittings etc.

The issue I can see here is when you come to clean your filter out. As you unscrew the filter bowl water from the bowl will run down into the pressure switch electrics.

If you are getting airlocks on an upright tank then your water level in your tank is very low or your pump is sucking in air in one or more of the joints from the tank outlet to the pump. Shurflo use those banjo tightening nuts. When finger tight we then nip them up fractionally more with a spanner.

The other issue is the screw-on filter. I see you have tried to seal it with PTFE tape.

Try replacing the filter with one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SHURFLO-FILTER-IN-LINE-WATER-FILTER-1-2-BSP-WING-NUT-255-215/171049149102?hash=item27d352e2ae:g:55AAAOSwik9bkSiH:rk:1:pf:0

You can then position the filter correctly with the pump mounted vertically, motor end up. My 2 pumps are situated half way up the side of my 650 liter tank and I don't have issues with sucking in air.

My son's van has a 500 liter upright tank and the pump is situated above the level of the tank. No issues to report either.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The issue I can see here is when you come to clean your filter out. As you unscrew the filter bowl water from the bowl will run down into the pressure switch electrics.

If you are getting airlocks on an upright tank then your water level in your tank is very low or your pump is sucking in air in one or more of the joints from the tank outlet to the pump. Shurflo use those banjo tightening nuts. When finger tight we then nip them up fractionally more with a spanner.

The other issue is the screw-on filter. I see you have tried to seal it with PTFE tape.

Try replacing the filter with one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SHURFLO-FILTER-IN-LINE-WATER-FILTER-1-2-BSP-WING-NUT-255-215/171049149102?hash=item27d352e2ae:g:55AAAOSwik9bkSiH:rk:1:pf:0

You can then position the filter correctly with the pump mounted vertically, motor end up. My 2 pumps are situated half way up the side of my 650 liter tank and I don't have issues with sucking in air.

My son's van has a 500 liter upright tank and the pump is situated above the level of the tank. No issues to report either.
I see what you mean. That is the strainer in your link though I think. I used to have it vertically up and a friend suggested putting it sideways as he thought the strainer may have been causing airlocks. It worked well for a few months after putting it sideways but not now. Yes thats the annoying thing, I see many others on here have the pump high with no issue. Ive had a few people round who are pretty good diy banging their heads over this and still no resolve. It should be easy but just goes on and on.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I see what you mean. That is the strainer in your link though I think. I used to have it vertically up and a friend suggested putting it sideways as he thought the strainer may have been causing airlocks. It worked well for a few months after putting it sideways but not now. Yes thats the annoying thing, I see many others on here have the pump high with no issue. Ive had a few people round who are pretty good diy banging their heads over this and still no resolve. It should be easy but just goes on and on.

If you are getting air into the pipes then it sucking air at one of the joins before the pump. I would guess that with your tank full (above the level of the pump) you don't have a problem as the water is being feed into the pump with gravity.

Any faulty joins after the pump will be a leak.

If you are getting air into the pipes then it sucking air at one of the joins before the pump. I would guess that with your tank full (above the level of the pump) you don't have a problem as the water is being feed into the pump with gravity.

Any faulty joins after the pump will be a leak.
Yes is better when tank is full. It does leek a little where the strainers attached to pump, not much though. Its different to some previous issues in that there is some water coming out but nowhere near enough flow/pressure. Not battery as got new one, and charged it. Busy next 2 days but saturday gonna reel out all the hose, check that, move pump, tighten everything and maybe highten the tank. 

Yes is better when tank is full. It does leek a little where the strainers attached to pump, not much though. Its different to some previous issues in that there is some water coming out but nowhere near enough flow/pressure. Not battery as got new one, and charged it. Busy next 2 days but saturday gonna reel out all the hose, check that, move pump, tighten everything and maybe highten the tank. 

There's the problem. Those filters were made for Shurflo pumps years ago before Shurflo decided that it was better to mount the pump motor up. In the early days we mounted the pump the other way with the motor down as the model label looked better the right way up (so we could read it without standing on our heads.)  That screw filter tightens up properly orientated that way with the filter bowl under the filter body.

When the water level in the tank is higher than the filter the pump doesn't have to suck water. The water flows into the pump with gravity. But once the level of the water is below the filter the pump has to suck up the water. Any tiny leak will be where the air is being sucked in.

Back