Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Windows below solution

Carts69

Bulk of the work I do is houses, although recently done a flat above a shop, not taking into consideration where the water was dripping, the guy from the shop nearly squared up to me for trashing his shop windows.. bit over reacting but hey, after offering to clean his he told me he’d done it himself, I’ve got another first floor flat next week, how do you guys get on when water drips onto someone else’s windows below?

Have it on my website that I don’t clean individual flats / apartments for this reason.

In the past I’ve just said to whoever complains that you’ll have to speak to the occupier as I’m just carrying out a service.

Last edited:
I always ask who they complained to when it rains ??? , if you want the job just go for it there isn’t anything the person can do about it it’s only water after all, but the question has to be asked is the job worth the hassle 

I always ask who they complained to when it rains ??? , if you want the job just go for it there isn’t anything the person can do about it it’s only water after all, but the question has to be asked is the job worth the hassle 
Well, returning to the first one where I got hassle... no, definitely not worth going back to, but the new flat next week I’d like to do but don’t want hassle again, also don’t want to clean another set of windows for free

I dont do them anymore due to the same problem. People who live below getting ratty that water is dripping onto their windows. When people call up now and say they are an upstairs flat etc i explain we arent able to do them anymore. I get called a w@nker and all sorts. The most abuse I've had since being a window cleaner has been from the upstairs flat enquiries that i wont book on the round.

Theres so much easier, less hassle work out there mate. If you're happy to trad it then that would resolve the dripping issues

We dont do flats as well for that very reason, was sick of underneath wanting free window cleans, so its our policy not do do flats. plus the access sometimes you had to walk in someones garden. rather pass the work over to a trad 

Bugger them all, I clean windows and if you don't like how I do it then please revert to my profile picture. They can shout and scream as much as they want, you're not breaking any laws and they can't stop you. Get a camera and record them if you feel threatened 

Do not do many flats but the few I do get a text from me after the initial quote stating they must inform people below they will be having windows cleaned and potential drips down. Picked up a few extra customers from it. Never had a complaint but if ever I do will simply show them the text and they can take it up with the person above them who’s agreed to the terms. 

When I first started out I took on a 2nd floor flat. The woman said she would speak to her neighbours. On the day the 1st and ground floor both came out shouting and screaming at me that i'd made a mess of their windows. Ended up doing them for free (Not very well I might add) I spoke to the customer that night and she said she thought me asking her to tell them was just a sales gimmick so they would all sign up. Ain't bothered with flats since.

I have got one that has 3 windows above a shop. 2 of them don't drip down due to having canopy things below, the one that does drip down I just give that window a quick blast to stop their moaning... Next thing they're moaning that one of the windows drips to their doorway (Poorly maintained canopy allows water to drip down the back) so I agreed to clean those 3 windows before the shop opens... A couple of months went by with no problem and all of a sudden i'm parked in the wrong place... Lost my ? a little bit at this point. Now some stupid old git stands out the front of the shop every time I finish waiting for me. Asks me if it's my van (which he knows it is) and tells me not to park there. Last time he said he would call the police. Good luck with that ? Excuse me mr officer this man has legally parked his van that is taxed and insured on the public highway but it's offending my customers....

Kept forgetting to have a rant about that one, its been a couple of weeks since I last did it as well. Moral of the story, some people will never be happy so f**k em! 

Back