Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hard water area

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Shineaway

We live in a hard water area and are using a lot of resin approx every 3 months, I haven't got the space to set up a ro system but looking around can I us a membrane only to reduce the amount of resin I am using thanks.

OK thank you.

Just a thought, but have you tried the spotless water sites dotted around the country as this would mean you could get rid of all the r/o & di vessels and just fill up from a site with 000 tds everytime 

We live in a hard water area and are using a lot of resin approx every 3 months, I haven't got the space to set up a ro system but looking around can I us a membrane only to reduce the amount of resin I am using thanks.

OK thank you.

Yes is a simple answer. If you look around on various suppliers sites you will see that they sell plug and play van mounted systems that incorporate 2 prefilters, an r/o housing and membrane and a di vessel.

The ones PureFreedom sell (and others) also incorporate a float switch which turns the water supply off to the r/o when the tank is full.

You do need to understand that in a hard water area you may use 3 liters of water from your tap to make 1 liter of pure. The pure produced is sent through the di vessel and then its stored in the tank waiting for you to clean windows with it.

The waste water needs to be directed to the drain or a soak away.

If you have a van mounted system you need to ensure the r/o doesn't freeze overnight in the winter.

Most of these van mounted systems use 4040 r/o's as they produce water quicker than the smaller ones do. They are also more expensive.

Example;

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/1000-litre-delivery-system-two-person/

You need around 9 lpm of free flowing water from the house you connect up to the van at the van and you need a pressure of over 40psi. 40psi is the lowest. Anything lower than that requires a booster pump.

The amount of water you carry also needs to cover you for a day's work. So if I were to go down this route I would need around a 500 liter tank or bigger.

If you water is anything like the hardness of the water in Reading then I would also consider a water softener.

@Jonnyavfc also has a good suggestion with regard to Spotless if there is one convenient to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back