Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Varnishong the ply in my van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm assuming you mean the ply on the floor... It's no good varnishing it if it's already damp.

I would suggest you remove it completely and replace it with rubber matting (I bought mine from eBay for my particular model of van).

I'm assuming you mean the ply on the floor... It's no good varnishing it if it's already damp.

I would suggest you remove it completely and replace it with rubber matting (I bought mine from eBay for my particular model of van).
Nah, referring to stuff on walls and three doors.  The bit in photo has had line x or speedliner over the top of it for about a foot at the bottom.  I ripped out the ply on my floor ages ago.  I spill water all the time as I use barrels. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I took all mine out went over it with a electric sander then gave it 2 × coats of screwfix garage floor paint using radiator roller. As long as ply is not wet it shouldn't be a problem. 

tmp-cam-7695552014126225129.jpg

I took all mine out went over it with a electric sander then gave it 2 × coats of screwfix garage floor paint using radiator roller. As long as ply is not wet it shouldn't be a problem. 

View attachment 15808
I bought some of that floor paint last year with the intention of doing my van, but my shed needed doing first, even in the heatwave we had last year it took 2-3 days to fully cure and stank so I put off doing the van as I can't stand fumes or any strong smells, I intend on just doing it with grey gloss paint this year just so it looks better in the back of the van. 

So I should of sanded the ply before varnishing them? 
By sanding it removes any ? from it and helps the paint / varnish to stick better. I also went over the ply with soft brush on hoover to remove any dust and a quick wipe with cellulose thinners to remove any contaminants 

I bought some of that floor paint last year with the intention of doing my van, but my shed needed doing first, even in the heatwave we had last year it took 2-3 days to fully cure and stank so I put off doing the van as I can't stand fumes or any strong smells, I intend on just doing it with grey gloss paint this year just so it looks better in the back of the van. 
I put one really thick coat on and it was fully cured within 24 hours. The smell of the paint didn't seem much worse than gloss house paint. The worst was the protektacote for the floor it stank and took days to cure

Latest Posts

Back