Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Need help with internal window cleaning

Col. P

Apologies if all this has been answered before but I have a couple of questions regarding cleaning internal windows for my clients. I have a domestic cleaning company and cannot get streak free windows or mirrors. I have tried every spray to no avail (always streaky) and a karcher window vac thing - same problem so I now use a squeegee but STILL get streaks.

I use a clean microfiber cloth, wet with a bit of washing up liquid worked in then mostly rinsed out so not too soapy, go over windows and because I can't seem to do the 'in one' professional swipe over I go from side to side top to bottom, overlapping each stroke slightly but I'm always left with horizontal streaks? What am I doing wrong? 

Which squeegee is recommended by all of you professionals? I just use (don't laugh!) an ikea one, I change it every couple of months and use clean cloths etc. Many thanks in advance

I use a clean microfiber cloth, wet with a bit of washing up liquid worked in then mostly rinsed out so not too soapy, go over windows and because I can't seem to do the 'in one' professional swipe over I go from side to side top to bottom, overlapping each stroke slightly but I'm always left with horizontal streaks? What am I doing wrong? 
You really need to practice on your own windows, watch a few videos on YouTube and copy them. You will eventually get the hang of it, you will always leave lines the way you're currently doing it.

Don't be scared to practice how a professional cleans a window. A professional became a professional because he practiced and then got the hang of it!

In answer to why you're getting a line when doing straight pulls; you need to dry the rubber between pulls. If it's still wet it will leave lines. If you do a wave motion down the glass you won't get these lines unless your rubber has got a nick in it.

Also talk to your cleaning supplier and get a professional squeegee from them. They usually stock unger or ettore in my experience. You need good tools to do a good job. Any professional squeegee is probably better than an IKEA one.

Decent pad and blade (Unger, ettorre) washing up liquid on the applicator and blade it off keeping the blade on the glass at all times. Like everyone says on here practice on your own windows till you get perfection.

Thanks for all the great advice, I'll get a professional squeegee etc and YouTube the in one sweep method. Does that method leave the entire window dry or does any residual water need wiping off with a microfiber cloth or scrim - I currently use kitchen roll but find some of the fibres are left on the window? 

Col. P get yourself some some scrims and after blading just go round the edges to get water of and get some microfibres to clean any muck of the sills. Dont use kitchen roll it'll make your life harder

Back