Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

setting up an ro system with di vessel.

hi can someone tell me how to setup a ro system with a di vessel. my tds is 160. new to this and its a bit confusing thanks

All r/o's basically work the same; they might just look different.

Lets link to Purefreedoms static unit. If you follow the pipes you will be able to apply this process with any r/o.

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/2400-gpd-high-volume-ro-system-c-w-auto-shut-off-1000ltr-tank/#transfer-pump-kit

You have your water source coming in from the right. The hose leads to the first of 2 prefilters. The first is sediment and the second is a carbon block. The water leaves the prefilters and heads up to the top of the 4040 housing. Inside is the membrane. At the bottom of the filter housing is a port with a red wheeled gate valve. Thats the waste water that goes to the drain. There is another pipe coming out from the center of the bottom end housing. Thats the pure or product water which goes to a di vessel to polish off or remove any remaining dissolved solids. The water then leaves the di vessel and goes into the IBC tank.

The sediment filter removes any sediment in the water. The carbon filter removes chlorine from the water as chlorine destroys membrane material. At 160ppm at your tap you would run your r/o at about 45 pure to 55 waste ratio. So when you are producing water the waste water is actually flushing away the impurities removed from the pure water you are producing.

So if your tap water is 160ppm and the product water is 3, then the waste water going into the drain will be around 220 ppm (this figure could be higher but depends on your pure to waste ratio.)

Last edited by a moderator:
All r/o's basically work the same; they might just look different.
That one is a really simple one to use as an example to be fair. Its the one tuffers has that I went to see before I bought mine. Not happy with them changing the colour of your icon @spruce, you were blue until these changes ?

@Josh Foster do you have an RO that you are trying to put together or are you looking just to see how they work? There are a lot of different systems so you need to pop a bit more information up if you want some help mate.

just want to see how they work but would like to get one set up for myself. i don't need a expensive one probably one that does 50gpd or maybe 75gpd I dont have many customers yet but will be getting my water from a spotless water. what about this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-Stage-RO-DI-resin-reverse-osmosis-water-filter-system-50-75-100-150GPD/161711534109?hash=item25a6c2301d:m:mnug8W5lIozSmvsvD6dk-PQ:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true what make would you recommend. does anyone know how long they take to produce 50gpd. also what else do I need apart from a ro and di vessel. a pump?. how much would i be looking to get everything i need.

just want to see how they work but would like to get one set up for myself. i don't need a expensive one probably one that does 50gpd or maybe 75gpd I dont have many customers yet but will be getting my water from a spotless water. what about this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-Stage-RO-DI-resin-reverse-osmosis-water-filter-system-50-75-100-150GPD/161711534109?hash=item25a6c2301d:m:mnug8W5lIozSmvsvD6dk-PQ:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true what make would you recommend. does anyone know how long they take to produce 50gpd. also what else do I need apart from a ro and di vessel. a pump?. how much would i be looking to get everything i need.
You need to know your tap pressure and litres per minute before anything else. Pop down to your local tool station and pick one of these up;

https://www.toolstation.com/mains-water-pressure-test-gauge/p75711

I wouldn't buy kit from eBay. If you're not on a water meter and have space for storage you can usually save a fortune by purifying your own water and not using spotless.

what would you recommend don't need lots of water just enough its only for me.  i mean once i find my tap pressure thanks
Assuming you're not on a water meter and have room for a tank I would suggest you start with a 300 or ideally 450 GPD. They are £220ish from a reputable supplier and you're set for growth in the future (Not forever but for quite a long time)

The membrane figures you quote are speced by the manufacturer under the most ideal conditions - perfect water temperature, water tds and pressure. These are 'perfect' conditions. Unfortunately for us, we will never achieve those figures in everyday use, much like the miles per gallon figures advertised on new car specifications. In winter your production further drops with cold water. We found a 450gpd took about 36 hours to fill a 1000 liter IBC tank in winter and about 28 hours to fill the same tank in summer with around 800 liters.  Water pressure from our tap on those days was 40 psi. (A 50gpd r/o will take 9 times longer to produce the same amount of water.)

A day in r/o speak is also 24 hours. Gallons are US gallons which are smaller than Imperial gallons (4 liters).

The first thing most of us did when we went into wfp window cleaning is buy equipment that needed replacement very quickly as we under bought. I did. In the days of trad window cleaning you could do an odd day window cleaning, another gardening etc. When you decide to go wfp window cleaning you have to give it your full attention if you are going to invest in equipment to purify water yourself. In my honest opinion you are wasting your time buying a small r/o like you suggest.

My advise is to focus on building up your business. Go canvass, clean and cull until you get a good foundation of customers. At least you can buy whatever water you need whilst building your business. You are either a window cleaner or your aren't. You can't be half pregnant.

To get back to r/o's. Once you are up and running I believe that the smallest r/o you would go for is a 450gpd. Water will be the most important requirement in building your business, so you need to have more than enough to grow.

Our 4040 is rated at 2400gpd. In practice it produces 2 liters of water per minute. The spec tells us that it should produce 400 liters a hour. It produces 120 in our real world at 50psi water pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back