Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO package system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chandlers

Hi there I’ve been using double DI only now for a couple of years and recently ( past 7 months) the TDS in the area has crept up and now I’m burning through my resin. I’m now changing one of the 11 litre Di vessels every month so I was wondering to take the plunge Into full ro. Looking at a static setup as that suits me. And I found this 

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/2400-gpd-high-volume-ro-system-c-w-auto-shut-off-1000ltr-tank/#transfer-pump-kit

i wanted to know some opinions of people more knowledgeable than I. I have not got the first clue about r/o or waste or even psi. So complete beginner to ro. Is it worth it or am I better to stick with buying resin every 2.5 months? I realise there’s plenty on this topic already but honestly it completely goes over my head. Haven’t a clue about changing any pre filters. My only knowledge is purely DI and that’s it Many thanks in advance you window cleaning legends! 

Hi there I’ve been using double DI only now for a couple of years and recently ( past 7 months) the TDS in the area has crept up and now I’m burning through my resin. I’m now changing one of the 11 litre Di vessels every month so I was wondering to take the plunge Into full ro. Looking at a static setup as that suits me. And I found this 

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/2400-gpd-high-volume-ro-system-c-w-auto-shut-off-1000ltr-tank/#transfer-pump-kit

i wanted to know some opinions of people more knowledgeable than I. I have not got the first clue about r/o or waste or even psi. So complete beginner to ro. Is it worth it or am I better to stick with buying resin every 2.5 months? I realise there’s plenty on this topic already but honestly it completely goes over my head. Haven’t a clue about changing any pre filters. My only knowledge is purely DI and that’s it Many thanks in advance you window cleaning legends! 

I've got that same system, I added the transfer pump and hose to the purchase. What's your tap TDS? You'll need a fair bit of space to store this RO in, you'll also need a tap near to it.

I've got that same system, I added the transfer pump and hose to the purchase. What's your tap TDS? You'll need a fair bit of space to store this RO in, you'll also need a tap near to it.
TDS used to be 80! Now on a good day it’s 150 bad it’s 265 but usually around the 180 mark. 

As @Tuffers said you need to know your tds and water pressure and flow rate , you might find you need a booster pump to maximise production rate most  ro filters are designed to work at around 100 psi, the closer to this you are the easier the system can work and you will get faster production rate 

TDS used to be 80! Now on a good day it’s 150 bad it’s 265 but usually around the 180 mark. 

That sounds odd how your TDS can fluctuate by 115 and that it's risen from 80 up to 150. You will save money in the long run with an RO, I haven't changed the resin in my 11 litre DI vessel for over a year and my TDS is around 200. Are you in a water meter? Do you know what you water pressure is? You can by a gauge from screwfix for a few quid.

If you're getting a month from an 11 Litre vessel with TDS 150-265 I assume you are using next to no water? I had basically the same TDS when running double DI and had to change resin every 1200-1500 litres. If you are not part time and using a steady amount of water I would question the reading on your TDS meter.

First port of call is to test your PSI. Get yourself down to the local tool station and pick one of these up;

https://www.toolstation.com/mains-water-pressure-test-gauge/p75711

It screws directly onto an outside tap and you simply turn it on full blast and take a reading.

That sounds odd how your TDS can fluctuate by 115 and that it's risen from 80 up to 150. You will save money in the long run with an RO, I haven't changed the resin in my 11 litre DI vessel for over a year and my TDS is around 200. Are you in a water meter? Do you know what you water pressure is? You can by a gauge from screwfix for a few quid.
Mine goes from 130 to 330 regularly, as high as 430 last summer. PITA!

I am on a water meter. I use roughly 100/140 litres 4 days a week some days are completely trad still and I save water where I can. Luckily a lot of my wfp round is brilliantly sheeting glass so hardly any water needed. Will look at getting a pressure gauge. Do they do 500litre ibc tanks or no? 1000 seems big for my usage 

I am on a water meter. I use roughly 100/140 litres 4 days a week some days are completely trad still and I save water where I can. Luckily a lot of my wfp round is brilliantly sheeting glass so hardly any water needed. Will look at getting a pressure gauge. Do they do 500litre ibc tanks or no? 1000 seems big for my usage 
A 4040 system is massive overkill for that sort of usage mate. With those types of fluctuations I would still be inclined to get a second opinion on TDS either through a local fellow windy or with a new TDS meter.

You can fill directly into the van i you want to. I have the IBC in the garage and fill my tank using a flood pump daily.

I know you can get 600 litre IBC tanks, but if you can fit a 1000 litre one a fill will last you a week or so. Just transfer water when needed and fill up the IBC on a weekend?

I know you can get 600 litre IBC tanks, but if you can fit a 1000 litre one a fill will last you a week or so. Just transfer water when needed and fill up the IBC on a weekend?
Yh that’s a fair point. So as I don’t really have much of a clue about any ro what system should I look at getting for around 450 litres a week? Also isn’t there the issue of waste water with an ro? I’d rather have less waste as that would eat into profits due to higher water bill. As I believe the best is a 1:1 ratio? So that’s already doubling the water bill doing it ro instead of Di right?

Yh that’s a fair point. So as I don’t really have much of a clue about any ro what system should I look at getting for around 450 litres a week? Also isn’t there the issue of waste water with an ro? I’d rather have less waste as that would eat into profits due to higher water bill. As I believe the best is a 1:1 ratio? So that’s already doubling the water bill doing it ro instead of Di right?
Everyones system is different. 55/45 or 60/40 is usually recommended. It will put your water bill up. You can get a flow meter that measures how much water goes through the RO making it easy to work out how much water you use and separate your water bill off for tax purposes.

You might be fine with a 450GPD system (depending on your PSI and how many litres per minute you get at the moment). These systems are only around £250. In all honesty I could have survived quite nicely with one of these but invested in a 4040 for the future basically.

Everyones system is different. 55/45 or 60/40 is usually recommended. It will put your water bill up. You can get a flow meter that measures how much water goes through the RO making it easy to work out how much water you use and separate your water bill off for tax purposes.

You might be fine with a 450GPD system (depending on your PSI and how many litres per minute you get at the moment). These systems are only around £250. In all honesty I could have survived quite nicely with one of these but invested in a 4040 for the future basically.
Is this the type of flow meter you mean or something else you’d recommend?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152040424466?chn=ps&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F710-134428-41853-0%2F2%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fi%252F152040424466%253Fchn%253Dps%26itemid%3D152040424466%26targetid%3D596596267901%26device%3Dm%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D1007125%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D1701291960%26adgroupid%3D66589449352%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-596596267901%26abcId%3D1140496%26merchantid%3D101746708%26gclid%3DEAIaIQobChMI6JnnuPnc4AIVElXTCh2amA8qEAQYFSABEgJeW_D_BwE%26srcrot%3D710-134428-41853-0%26rvr_id%3D1875340166784%26rvr_ts%3D310cefa11690ada592607c0ffff4a811

Ill look into getting a psi measure and report back!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That seems it would work mate. I know @Pjj has something as he is on a water meter. I personally use this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351744024637

They're also good for monitoring when you need to change the pre-filters as they're only good for so many litres of water depending where which ones you get... That can all wait though.

I just have a separate water meter fitted by the water company that I pay only for the water and no sewage charge , for flow rate I filled a 25 ltr drum and worked out the ltr per muinit from that , and the pressure gauge in the van tells me tap pressure 

If you're only using 500 litres a week, and on a meter, without doing the calculation I doubt getting an R/O is cost effective. If you intend to keep doing trad with a small amount of WFP then personally I would stay double DI. If you're looking at doing more WFP and therefore need more pure then is the time to go down the R/O route. 

If you're only using 500 litres a week, and on a meter, without doing the calculation I doubt getting an R/O is cost effective. If you intend to keep doing trad with a small amount of WFP then personally I would stay double DI. If you're looking at doing more WFP and therefore need more pure then is the time to go down the R/O route. 
 Would adding the pre filters that an ro used to a di help. Before they reach the di 

so the two filters then double Di? No ro. Or do they not effect or benefit Di systems only ro?

Would adding the pre filters that an ro used to a di help. Before they reach the di 

so the two filters then double Di? No ro. Or do they not effect or benefit Di systems only ro?
No. The pre-filters job is to remove bits of debris that may harm the membrane, they don't bring the TDS down.

I agree with @Part Timer to be honest mate, if you intend to remain partially trad the savings will be negligible and probably not worth your time making the switch. If you plan to grow of course then 100% worth the time and effort.

Back