Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin decider help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chandlers

Usually use Tulsion mb 115 the prices have started to go through the roof

saw these two and wondered what people’s experiences were

https://www.vyair.com/25-litre-mixed-bed-di-resin-mb-115.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7KjF9KDm4AIVg7DtCh3AYAa5EAQYASABEgJ_2vD_BwE

also there’s another tulsion called 111

https://www.finest-filters.co.uk/25-litre-sack-tulsion-mb-111-deionising-resin?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7KjF9KDm4AIVg7DtCh3AYAa5EAQYBCABEgLp3PD_BwE

cant seem to find the difference between 115 and 111 other than obviously the name

thanks in advance 

@Tuffers might flog you some decent stuff, he has some stores haha. He ain't far from you.

If you want to buy from a big supplier Daqua are selling Tulsion 115 for another £8 on what you've found. Same sort of price it's always been in my experience.

Usually use Tulsion mb 115 the prices have started to go through the roof

saw these two and wondered what people’s experiences were

https://www.vyair.com/25-litre-mixed-bed-di-resin-mb-115.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7KjF9KDm4AIVg7DtCh3AYAa5EAQYASABEgJ_2vD_BwE

also there’s another tulsion called 111

https://www.finest-filters.co.uk/25-litre-sack-tulsion-mb-111-deionising-resin?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7KjF9KDm4AIVg7DtCh3AYAa5EAQYBCABEgLp3PD_BwE

cant seem to find the difference between 115 and 111 other than obviously the name

thanks in advance 

Last year we experienced a resin shortage. I don't recall @doug atkinson suggesting we also look around for supplies of MB111 or him supplying it as a substitute for 115.

Many years ago I asked what the difference was between MB115 and MB111. It was on the back of one poster who says he has better results with MB111 than MB115.

Here was Doug's reply;

It’s one of those things that does intrigue me. One customer buys MB-111 in bulk as finds this apparently works better for him. The difference between 115 is the cation resin which is of lower grade and has a lower exchange capacity.

As you are aware water structure can change so the balance of anions and cations could also change. MB-115 is a ratio of 1.5 with the anion side more loaded. If you water structure was 1.3/5 anion loaded then both resins would deplete at the same time. If all of a sudden you had an imbalance and water became 1/1 then the cation would deplete first.

Cation ions are most common to cause spotting as they are minerals like calcium, lead etc.. which I know are high in water in Scotland as you can tell where people have their hose tap's by the kitchen windows you will see the windows etched with hard water stains.

If there was an instrument on the market that could tell you what content your water is then you would be onto a winner as you could have the right mix. I have been trying some mixes and have been surprised at some results.

We buy mixed bed resins to polish our water off after r/o. Mixed bed as the name states consists of strong acid cation exchange and strong base anion exchange resin in different proportions or ratios.

What Doug is saying is that there could be a number of customers who benefit by using MB111 as their water composition is slightly different to the majority. I know that MB115 works in our area and that's good enough for me.

The problem you have is that its impossible to get an exact performance comparision as you can't run the 2 different resins side by side together to gather comparision data to drawn a scientific conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also on the Daqua page they list toward the bottom an mb-400 and also a “nuclear grade” how much better is the mb-400 to the 115? Only a tenner difference and if it last ten times as long that’s better? Also the nuclear grade. Any reviews or how many litres it’ll do on averaged of 170 TDS?

@Tuffers might flog you some decent stuff, he has some stores haha. He ain't far from you.

If you want to buy from a big supplier Daqua are selling Tulsion 115 for another £8 on what you've found. Same sort of price it's always been in my experience.
Another big supplier £76.50 + VAT Gardiners. MB115.

Spectrum was £69.73 + VAT from Pure Freedom 1 year ago. So not a great change in price. Just some suppliers putting extra few quid on. 

Tuffers. Someone said you have a store where is it and what’s it called. £75 cash for tulsion mb 115?

Yes, I have a store. It's called Tuffers Tulsion. Based on the Worcestershire / Herefordshire border in the middle of nowhere. @P4dstar has visited my store, he got out of the village alive. It is like 'Southern Comfort' round these parts, people have guns and dogs. You are welcome to purchase from my store but make sure you bring plenty of money with you.

Also on the Daqua page they list toward the bottom an mb-400 and also a “nuclear grade” how much better is the mb-400 to the 115? Only a tenner difference and if it last ten times as long that’s better? Also the nuclear grade. Any reviews or how many litres it’ll do on averaged of 170 TDS?

Best to ask @doug atkinson as he is the seller and will be able to explain the differences.

There is basically a world wide shortage or quality raw material and all the major brands have got this sown up probably to the end of the year but still not enough to go round. I had an email the other day from a major supplier of demin plants warning of major price increases and not being able to fulfil orders.

The beads are not only used in Mixed Bed resins but other resins like Softening resins which seems to be taking a huge hit. 

Lead times are now out to 8 months + with some speciality products 2 years. So yes bit of a concern.

MB-115 is a 60/40 resin and MB-111 a 50/50 resin mix of Cation/ Anion. Depending on water quality some may find MB-111 or perform well if your water structure is closer to MB-111.

Purolite MB-400 is 60/40 mix but is a lot higher priced. Some have found this under performs MB-115 and some find it works for them.

Purolite NRW3240 gives higher purity and there is a lot of discussion with Ionics claiming they have this high grade resins in their systems.

There is basically a world wide shortage or quality raw material and all the major brands have got this sown up probably to the end of the year but still not enough to go round. I had an email the other day from a major supplier of demin plants warning of major price increases and not being able to fulfil orders.

The beads are not only used in Mixed Bed resins but other resins like Softening resins which seems to be taking a huge hit. 

Lead times are now out to 8 months + with some speciality products 2 years. So yes bit of a concern.

MB-115 is a 60/40 resin and MB-111 a 50/50 resin mix of Cation/ Anion. Depending on water quality some may find MB-111 or perform well if your water structure is closer to MB-111.

Purolite MB-400 is 60/40 mix but is a lot higher priced. Some have found this under performs MB-115 and some find it works for them.

Purolite NRW3240 gives higher purity and there is a lot of discussion with Ionics claiming they have this high grade resins in their systems.
Thanks Doug for the comparisons. What are the comparisons and your thoughts on mb 151

Indion do not make a Product Code MB-151 but Vyair have slipped up on their description. Vyair are well known for describing something which it is not.

Vyair description - "The Indion mixed bed ion exchange resin is a mixture of highly purified, super regenerated strong acid cation and strong base anion resins in a 40:60 volume ratio, This mixed bed formulation is regarded in the pure water industry as the best performing mixed bed de-ionisation resin, consistently outlasts every other brand, pound for pound. (WRONG)

That product is MB-11 specification - "INDION MB 11 is a mixed bed ion exchange resin. It is a mixture of highly purified and super regenerated strong acid cation and strong base anion resins in 1 : 1 volume ratio"

The anion base is not as high quality. It will do the job but capacity will be less.

Back