Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help finishing diy set up

Mabozzer

I've asked elsewhere and don't think I'll get any help! So ideas of parts would be helpful ?

Recently changed to a two man setup and the problem is the pump outlets leak with any movement on the hose, I need to fix it so when the reels are lifted in and out there's no leaks. 

1551692697730489561992663538945.jpg

Reels have to be positioned on the road for flexibility, I hate moving the van and want to catch upto 100m in either direction so don't suggest fixed reels! 

John guest tubing and fittings to a fixed point after the pump, in my case the outside port. Then after that flexible hose to the hose reel. Think it was @P4dstar that recommended John guest until the reel many moons ago. I don't have any more leaks at all since trying that.

John guest tubing and fittings to a fixed point after the pump, in my case the outside port. Then after that flexible hose to the hose reel. Think it was @P4dstar that recommended John guest until the reel many moons ago. I don't have any more leaks at all since trying that.
Yeah I changed to JG fittings from the tank right through the pump and up to about 30cm from the hose reel. I looked at several work arounds to fit JG directly to the reel but nothing was going to be a long term solution so I went with Pro26 (Rectus 26) fittings at the reel. Touch wood not a drop from them since.

Yeah I changed to JG fittings from the tank right through the pump and up to about 30cm from the hose reel. I looked at several work arounds to fit JG directly to the reel but nothing was going to be a long term solution so I went with Pro26 (Rectus 26) fittings at the reel. Touch wood not a drop from them since.
Pics mate?

I've asked elsewhere and don't think I'll get any help! So ideas of parts would be helpful ?

Recently changed to a two man setup and the problem is the pump outlets leak with any movement on the hose, I need to fix it so when the reels are lifted in and out there's no leaks. 

View attachment 15855

I dont  want to be rude rude but I think half your problem is the fact that you have far to much unsupported weight on the fittings coming out of the pumps , it’s putting a strain on them causing them to leak I think you are very lucky you haven’t broken them off , try fixing your hoses from the pumps to something solid with cable clips to prevent so much movement and I think you will find it will be fine 

I dont  want to be rude rude but I think half your problem is the fact that you have far to much unsupported weight on the fittings coming out of the pumps , it’s putting a strain on them causing them to leak I think you are very lucky you haven’t broken them off , try fixing your hoses from the pumps to something solid with cable clips to prevent so much movement and I think you will find it will be fine 
No your not being rude at all, that's what the problem is and the hose is probably too stiff. I'll maybe have a look at plumbing pipe clips in B&Q and fit different hose.

No your not being rude at all, that's what the problem is and the hose is probably too stiff. I'll maybe have a look at plumbing pipe clips in B&Q and fit different hose.
The clips and hose aren't the problem, those ? barb elbows the pumps come with are mate. John Guest fittings are all sweet but there are other alternatives too. If you want to stick with 1/2'' hose you could just get a metal barb and PTFE the cr4p out of it;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-BSP-Taper-Thread-X-Hose-Tail-End-Joiner-Barbed-Connector-Pipe-Gas-Tubing/223306601844?hash=item33fe1c5574:m:mn7Ni7aozmSW_QxKTJZQNQw:rk:1:pf:0

(Have a look at Female straight through 1/2'' BSP on the listing above)

Second thing to do is get longer hose. What you're working on there is just about long enough which means you will always be putting pressure on the barb connection when you're moving the hose. If you're gonna get more hose might as well get something decent and reinforced. I started using the Claber 1/2'' hose Gardiner's sell (Thats the silver and green one in the pictures) It's top quality stuff, would highly recommend.

Once you have a decent barb and some decent hose the last thing to deal with is your jubilee clips. If you think they're secure with just a screwdriver think again. Grab a ratchet spanner and find the right size for it, you will get super tight that way.

View attachment 15855

We operate the same way you do.

We have brass 3/4" tap connectors screwed onto our hose reels and Hozelock hose connectors coupling up to it.

What I did was to purchase a tube of silicone adhesive and fill the inside of a Hozelock hose connector with it. It needs to be done in such a way that the dried silicone doesn't restrict the connector from locating on the tap connector. Once on this stops any drips from wetting the inside of the van.

We do the same with the connectors at the van port.

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0006a.jpg

They 1/2 fittings?
Yeah mate

We operate the same way you do.

We have brass 3/4" tap connectors screwed onto our hose reels and Hozelock hose connectors coupling up to it.

What I did was to purchase a tube of silicone adhesive and fill the inside of a Hozelock hose connector with it. It needs to be done in such a way that the dried silicone doesn't restrict the connector from locating on the tap connector. Once on this stops any drips from wetting the inside of the van.

We do the same with the connectors at the van port.

View attachment 15872

View attachment 15873
I think his leaks were coming from the barb at the pump @spruce.

do you reckon doing that would reduce the pressure loss to my RO?

I'm sure these plastic pump connectors are meant to be hand tight but as the worker left the hose/reel in such a position that caused it to leak for 10-20 minutes I took a pair of pliers to it, and Bob's yer auntie... Sorted for now although as its been said it could break so I'll fit a longer hose on his supply and fix it down. 

I'd like the external ports but can't drill holes in the van and also every time you disconnect the reel the water drains out. 

I'm sure these plastic pump connectors are meant to be hand tight but as the worker left the hose/reel in such a position that caused it to leak for 10-20 minutes I took a pair of pliers to it, and Bob's yer auntie... Sorted for now although as its been said it could break so I'll fit a longer hose on his supply and fix it down. 

I'd like the external ports but can't drill holes in the van and also every time you disconnect the reel the water drains out. 
If thats worked am I right in thinking you don't have any PTFE on them? That could have solved the problem. I would still add more hose to take some pressure off the joint itself when working outside the van.

I got the blue hose from Pure Freedom, it's good solid hose but not as flexible like the Claber green stripe from Gardiners. I've actually got six meters of Claber hose in my basket but just waiting to see if there's anything else I need to add in.

There's ptfe on all connections but they were hand tight as I'm sure they're meant to be. Seems to be ok for now but will increase the length on the nearest pump (workers pump) to avoid strain on the elbow and I've still to fix it down. 

Latest Posts

Back