Jump to content
Mabozzer

Help finishing diy set up

Recommended Posts

Mabozzer

I've asked elsewhere and don't think I'll get any help! So ideas of parts would be helpful 😉

Recently changed to a two man setup and the problem is the pump outlets leak with any movement on the hose, I need to fix it so when the reels are lifted in and out there's no leaks. 

1551692697730489561992663538945.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Mabozzer

Reels have to be positioned on the road for flexibility, I hate moving the van and want to catch upto 100m in either direction so don't suggest fixed reels! 

Share this post


Link to post
CMcB

John guest tubing and fittings to a fixed point after the pump, in my case the outside port. Then after that flexible hose to the hose reel. Think it was @P4dstar that recommended John guest until the reel many moons ago. I don't have any more leaks at all since trying that.

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
2 hours ago, CMcB said:

John guest tubing and fittings to a fixed point after the pump, in my case the outside port. Then after that flexible hose to the hose reel. Think it was @P4dstar that recommended John guest until the reel many moons ago. I don't have any more leaks at all since trying that.

Yeah I changed to JG fittings from the tank right through the pump and up to about 30cm from the hose reel. I looked at several work arounds to fit JG directly to the reel but nothing was going to be a long term solution so I went with Pro26 (Rectus 26) fittings at the reel. Touch wood not a drop from them since.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragbag
42 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Yeah I changed to JG fittings from the tank right through the pump and up to about 30cm from the hose reel. I looked at several work arounds to fit JG directly to the reel but nothing was going to be a long term solution so I went with Pro26 (Rectus 26) fittings at the reel. Touch wood not a drop from them since.

Pics mate😎

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
11 minutes ago, Dragbag said:

Pics mate😎

 

39EE44C6-FD9E-44E4-85AB-C2108A1B41FC.jpeg

C845499E-2D9C-430D-B5C9-E1FFC324DD0E.jpeg

FAADEC02-6E5F-4699-B257-083DFA0F2D1D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Pjj
8 hours ago, Mabozzer said:

I've asked elsewhere and don't think I'll get any help! So ideas of parts would be helpful 😉

Recently changed to a two man setup and the problem is the pump outlets leak with any movement on the hose, I need to fix it so when the reels are lifted in and out there's no leaks. 

1551692697730489561992663538945.jpg

 

 

I dont  want to be rude rude but I think half your problem is the fact that you have far to much unsupported weight on the fittings coming out of the pumps , it’s putting a strain on them causing them to leak I think you are very lucky you haven’t broken them off , try fixing your hoses from the pumps to something solid with cable clips to prevent so much movement and I think you will find it will be fine 

Share this post


Link to post
Dragbag
30 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

 

39EE44C6-FD9E-44E4-85AB-C2108A1B41FC.jpeg

C845499E-2D9C-430D-B5C9-E1FFC324DD0E.jpeg

FAADEC02-6E5F-4699-B257-083DFA0F2D1D.jpeg

Do you have a jg fitting on the tank??

Share this post


Link to post
Mabozzer
18 minutes ago, Pjj said:

 

 

I dont  want to be rude rude but I think half your problem is the fact that you have far to much unsupported weight on the fittings coming out of the pumps , it’s putting a strain on them causing them to leak I think you are very lucky you haven’t broken them off , try fixing your hoses from the pumps to something solid with cable clips to prevent so much movement and I think you will find it will be fine 

No your not being rude at all, that's what the problem is and the hose is probably too stiff. I'll maybe have a look at plumbing pipe clips in B&Q and fit different hose.

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
1 hour ago, Dragbag said:

Do you have a jg fitting on the tank??

Yeah mate, a reducer and then JG connection...

0qTL9O2CSfKXN7gsQIS9VQ.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
1 hour ago, Mabozzer said:

No your not being rude at all, that's what the problem is and the hose is probably too stiff. I'll maybe have a look at plumbing pipe clips in B&Q and fit different hose.

The clips and hose aren't the problem, those 💩 barb elbows the pumps come with are mate. John Guest fittings are all sweet but there are other alternatives too. If you want to stick with 1/2'' hose you could just get a metal barb and PTFE the cr4p out of it;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-BSP-Taper-Thread-X-Hose-Tail-End-Joiner-Barbed-Connector-Pipe-Gas-Tubing/223306601844?hash=item33fe1c5574:m:mn7Ni7aozmSW_QxKTJZQNQw:rk:1:pf:0

(Have a look at Female straight through 1/2'' BSP on the listing above)

 

Second thing to do is get longer hose. What you're working on there is just about long enough which means you will always be putting pressure on the barb connection when you're moving the hose. If you're gonna get more hose might as well get something decent and reinforced. I started using the Claber 1/2'' hose Gardiner's sell (Thats the silver and green one in the pictures) It's top quality stuff, would highly recommend.

 

Once you have a decent barb and some decent hose the last thing to deal with is your jubilee clips. If you think they're secure with just a screwdriver think again. Grab a ratchet spanner and find the right size for it, you will get super tight that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Dragbag
13 hours ago, P4dstar said:

 

39EE44C6-FD9E-44E4-85AB-C2108A1B41FC.jpeg

C845499E-2D9C-430D-B5C9-E1FFC324DD0E.jpeg

FAADEC02-6E5F-4699-B257-083DFA0F2D1D.jpeg

They 1/2 fittings?

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
21 hours ago, Mabozzer said:

I've asked elsewhere and don't think I'll get any help! So ideas of parts would be helpful 😉

Recently changed to a two man setup and the problem is the pump outlets leak with any movement on the hose, I need to fix it so when the reels are lifted in and out there's no leaks. 

1551692697730489561992663538945.jpg

 

We operate the same way you do.

We have brass 3/4" tap connectors screwed onto our hose reels and Hozelock hose connectors coupling up to it.

 

What I did was to purchase a tube of silicone adhesive and fill the inside of a Hozelock hose connector with it. It needs to be done in such a way that the dried silicone doesn't restrict the connector from locating on the tap connector. Once on this stops any drips from wetting the inside of the van.

 

We do the same with the connectors at the van port.

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0006a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
20 minutes ago, Dragbag said:

They 1/2 fittings?

Yeah mate

1 minute ago, spruce said:

 

We operate the same way you do.

We have brass 3/4" tap connectors screwed onto our hose reels and Hozelock hose connectors coupling up to it.

 

What I did was to purchase a tube of silicone adhesive and fill the inside of a Hozelock hose connector with it. It needs to be done in such a way that the dried silicone doesn't restrict the connector from locating on the tap connector. Once on this stops any drips from wetting the inside of the van.

 

We do the same with the connectors at the van port.

DSCF0004.JPG

DSCF0006a.jpg

I think his leaks were coming from the barb at the pump @spruce.

 

do you reckon doing that would reduce the pressure loss to my RO?

Share this post


Link to post
THL4KEL
19 hours ago, P4dstar said:

 

39EE44C6-FD9E-44E4-85AB-C2108A1B41FC.jpeg

C845499E-2D9C-430D-B5C9-E1FFC324DD0E.jpeg

FAADEC02-6E5F-4699-B257-083DFA0F2D1D.jpeg

Is the tank bolted to the floor or is it ratchet strapped?

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
1 minute ago, THL4KEL said:

Is the tank bolted to the floor or is it ratchet strapped?

Both mate. Bolted down, strapped with 2x 1 tonne straps through the baffle and then another 2 500KG straps on top.

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
1 hour ago, THL4KEL said:

Fair play mate that's good safety. 

Paranoia mate. I saw a video once showing what happens when you get hit from behind carrying 500L of water 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Mabozzer

I'm sure these plastic pump connectors are meant to be hand tight but as the worker left the hose/reel in such a position that caused it to leak for 10-20 minutes I took a pair of pliers to it, and Bob's yer auntie... Sorted for now although as its been said it could break so I'll fit a longer hose on his supply and fix it down. 

I'd like the external ports but can't drill holes in the van and also every time you disconnect the reel the water drains out. 

Share this post


Link to post
P4dstar
9 hours ago, Mabozzer said:

I'm sure these plastic pump connectors are meant to be hand tight but as the worker left the hose/reel in such a position that caused it to leak for 10-20 minutes I took a pair of pliers to it, and Bob's yer auntie... Sorted for now although as its been said it could break so I'll fit a longer hose on his supply and fix it down. 

I'd like the external ports but can't drill holes in the van and also every time you disconnect the reel the water drains out. 

If thats worked am I right in thinking you don't have any PTFE on them? That could have solved the problem. I would still add more hose to take some pressure off the joint itself when working outside the van.

Share this post


Link to post
Mabozzer

I got the blue hose from Pure Freedom, it's good solid hose but not as flexible like the Claber green stripe from Gardiners. I've actually got six meters of Claber hose in my basket but just waiting to see if there's anything else I need to add in.

There's ptfe on all connections but they were hand tight as I'm sure they're meant to be. Seems to be ok for now but will increase the length on the nearest pump (workers pump) to avoid strain on the elbow and I've still to fix it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
On 05/03/2019 at 07:51, P4dstar said:

Yeah mate

I think his leaks were coming from the barb at the pump @spruce.

 

do you reckon doing that would reduce the pressure loss to my RO?

 

I put this up as I'm pretty sure that the hose reel at the back with the yellow hose looks as though it has no hose connected to it.

 

I hose reel that has been uncoupled seems to drip forever. We initially found our biggest problem of water dripping into the van was from the hose reel.

Share this post


Link to post
spruce
3 hours ago, Mabozzer said:

I got the blue hose from Pure Freedom, it's good solid hose but not as flexible like the Claber green stripe from Gardiners. I've actually got six meters of Claber hose in my basket but just waiting to see if there's anything else I need to add in.

There's ptfe on all connections but they were hand tight as I'm sure they're meant to be. Seems to be ok for now but will increase the length on the nearest pump (workers pump) to avoid strain on the elbow and I've still to fix it down. 

 

We found that tighting those wingnuts that Shurflo sell for their pump finger tight wasn't enough. We put a small spanner onto them just to nip them up fractionally more.

 

The fitting has a conical cone and seat so it will seal without any PTFE tape. It just needs to be nipped up like you have done.

Share this post


Link to post
Mabozzer

Well the leak wasn't from the thread but from the conical seat that you mentioned, I had actually reduced the ptfe from around two (ish) raps to just a single as it wasn't connecting right. They give you the option to position the barb but I just don't like them.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.