Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Connectors from tank to two man set up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TWC

Hi

Trying to put an two man set up into my van but having pressure problems. I’ve got a 500l wyedale tamk with the usual 3/4 inch threaded female output. Currently I’ve got this attached

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tap-valve-for-Water-tank-1-BSP-Fits-350-400-500-550-600-650-litre-tanks/202603025510?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20190212102350%26meid%3Da5767386b656448fb8416a844722800f%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D202555684561%26itm%3D202603025510&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

now I’ve tried to take a1/2 inch hose from this and split by using an equal tee to each pump. I did think it would be tight on water running two pumps from this but what I didn’t expect is just running one it seems to run low on pressure. It starts off fine but after a few seconds the flow reduces. Stop and the pressure builds back up and then dies again when you start. I presume it’s trying to pull water from the other hose reel on the other side of the tee?

Was wondering what other fittings would people recommend or are using?

Think I need a 3/4 inch male to a splitter with 1/2 inch hose locks with non return valves. Does such an item exist as I can’t find one

Any help greatly appreciated

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi

Trying to put an two man set up into my van but having pressure problems. I’ve got a 500l wyedale tamk with the usual 3/4 inch threaded female output. Currently I’ve got this attached

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tap-valve-for-Water-tank-1-BSP-Fits-350-400-500-550-600-650-litre-tanks/202603025510?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20190212102350%26meid%3Da5767386b656448fb8416a844722800f%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D202555684561%26itm%3D202603025510&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

now I’ve tried to take a1/2 inch hose from this and split by using an equal tee to each pump. I did think it would be tight on water running two pumps from this but what I didn’t expect is just running one it seems to run low on pressure. It starts off fine but after a few seconds the flow reduces. Stop and the pressure builds back up and then dies again when you start. I presume it’s trying to pull water from the other hose reel on the other side of the tee?

Was wondering what other fittings would people recommend or are using?

Think I need a 3/4 inch male to a splitter with 1/2 inch hose locks with non return valves. Does such an item exist as I can’t find one

Any help greatly appreciated
This comes up a lot. Not many seem to be able to run a 2 man system without issue from one pump. Let some of those moths out your wallet and buy a second pump, if you need a 2 man system then you can afford it and it will pay for itself quickly enough!

Thanks for the reply but perhaps I wasn’t clear. I have got two pumps and two controllers but I’m having trouble with flow rate. I believe it’s due to splitting 1/2 inch hose supply into another two 1/2 inch hoses and then to the pumps. I’m using an equal tee like this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tee-Hose-Joiner-Plastic-Barbed-T-Connector-Pipe-Fitting-Air-Fuel-Water-Gas-WHITE/130713844842?hash=item1e6f26fc6a:m:moPCgITqR8y79yZvV1qHQ3g

what connections do others use when splitting from tank into two feeds?

Thanks for the reply but perhaps I wasn’t clear. I have got two pumps and two controllers but I’m having trouble with flow rate. I believe it’s due to splitting 1/2 inch hose supply into another two 1/2 inch hoses and then to the pumps. I’m using an equal tee like this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tee-Hose-Joiner-Plastic-Barbed-T-Connector-Pipe-Fitting-Air-Fuel-Water-Gas-WHITE/130713844842?hash=item1e6f26fc6a:m:moPCgITqR8y79yZvV1qHQ3g

what connections do others use when splitting from tank into two feeds?
Gotcha, consider my neck well and truly wound in haha.

I know that Daqua use John Guest connections into the pump. I use JohnGuest with mine (single pump) It has basically removed all issues.Simple push fit connections, can't beat them IMO. The below is a pic of one of Doug's masterpieces!

Screenshot 2019-03-04 22.53.47.png

I have run and currently run this setup for the past 12 years without issue. I can run both pumps on full throttle filling a 25 liter plastic container easily.

You will notice that the 1" BSP elbow fitting that screws into the tank has a 1/2" hose barb on the other end, so both pumps are being supplied with water from a 1/2" hose.

You either have a restriction (unlikely) or that pump's controller needs recalibrating.

BTW, a 500 liter Wydale tank should have a 1" BSP outlet.

Various 072a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @spruce and @P4dstar

My pipes are no thinner than yours but my pumps are both at the same level as the outlet so perhaps that causing the issue?

Always thought keeping them as low as possible was the best way.

i don’t think it’s the controller as it works fine with just the one hose coming from the outlet. I reconnected it to just the one hose again today and work perfectly all day. 

i take it you’ve got no non return valves in there Spruce?

Will have to have more of a play when I get chance. Maybe raise the pumps

Wife has has me running around for daughters birthday this weekend so no spare time. I’m sure invading a country takes less organising than what she’s got planned

I know two guys who work out of the same van and they have issues, even though they have a splitter and 2 of everything.

If it were me, I would bite the bullet and have 2 separate outlets from the tank. Then at least you know it's job done!

Thanks @spruce and @P4dstar

My pipes are no thinner than yours but my pumps are both at the same level as the outlet so perhaps that causing the issue?

Always thought keeping them as low as possible was the best way.

i don’t think it’s the controller as it works fine with just the one hose coming from the outlet. I reconnected it to just the one hose again today and work perfectly all day. 

i take it you’ve got no non return valves in there Spruce?

Will have to have more of a play when I get chance. Maybe raise the pumps

Wife has has me running around for daughters birthday this weekend so no spare time. I’m sure invading a country takes less organising than what she’s got planned

No; I don't have any non return valves in the system.

Someone once said that after the first T piece the supply pipes to each pump should be the same length. Mine aren't.  When Its time to clean the pump's strainers I wait until the water level is below the level of the pump, unscrew the filter bowl, clean the filter and screw it back up. No issue with priming the pump and have on several ocassions run the tank dry. The only time the pumps suck air is when the level is too low.

Sorry it’s taken so long to reply but been trying various things out. 

Followed @spruce advice and made both the feed pipes to the pumps the same length and works a treat. I can use either pump on their own or both together with no loss of flow or pressure on either pump. Also put in an outlet to fill my backpack up as well. 

Only thing I have noticed is it takes a couple of windows to get to full pressure on first job of the day but after that it’s all good. 

Thanks again for the reply’s 

Back