Jump to content
Lee89

Does Hypo kill weeds?

Recommended Posts

Lee89

Morning everyone, sorry for the newby question but does hypo kill weeds in block paving or is it best practice to lay down a weed killer 1st?

 

if so what weed killers do you use?

 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Incheck
Posted (edited)

Petrol strimmer fella. Just run over the whole driveway with a petrol strimmer first it will only take you 20 minutes max.  Then when you pressure wash the remnants should come out with the moss. Nothing stops weeds permanently even after re-sanding i tell the customers they should run a petrol strimmer over the driveway once a fortnight to get rid of the odd weed here & there. I dont use weedkillers i think they’re a waste of time, they’re often very watered down & the rain will always dilute & wash away whatever goes down.

Edited by Incheck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
THL4KEL

I mix salt into the kiln sand when im putting it down to help dehydrate and kill any growth that has survived the cleaning process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pjj

Hypo will burn surface foliage , but I wouldn’t want to say it will do as good a job on things like dandelions and other deep rooted plants that could re grow , weed killer is best for this , hypo will kill algy , moss, licken very well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service

Hypo will not kill the roots so in a few weeks they are back. I used weedol on Monday with my sprayer. I believe Roundup is the best but they are trying to ban it because it has glyphosate in it which the EU want to ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lee89
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies chaps. I’ll give them a go on different jobs and see which one I prefer. 

 

I picked up my first batch of hypo today and will be testing it tomorrow, after getting full PPE of course. 

 

I love the Data sheet for sodium hypochloride, for Firefighters.....Full BA 🤣

Edited by Lee89
Incorrect spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service
20 hours ago, Lee89 said:

Thanks for the replies chaps. I’ll give them a go on different jobs and see which one I prefer. 

 

I picked up my first batch of hypo today and will be testing it tomorrow, after getting full PPE of course. 

 

I love the Data sheet for sodium hypochloride, for Firefighters.....Full BA 🤣

 

Full BA for everything now and it makes sense, you get one pair of lungs. I used to put car fires, buses, containers without BA, not now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cloudnine

I would advise getting a PA1 and PA6 spraying ticket if you are spraying hypo or weedkiller on customers driveways.

FYI.. weedol contains glyphosphate.

Glyphosphate will only really work if sprayed on the leaves of a plant so ideally needs spraying at least a few days before.  Glyphosphate doesn't kill moss or lichens.. but hypo works really well on these.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
triangle
On 07/03/2019 at 18:53, scottish cleaning service said:

 

Full BA for everything now and it makes sense, you get one pair of lungs. I used to put car fires, buses, containers without BA, not now.

By full BA do you mean self contained oxygen fed mask when using hypo?   I got a sore throat for two weeks when I used it in January 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave B
On 06/03/2019 at 11:32, Incheck said:

Petrol strimmer fella. Just run over the whole driveway with a petrol strimmer first it will only take you 20 minutes max.  Then when you pressure wash the remnants should come out with the moss. Nothing stops weeds permanently even after re-sanding i tell the customers they should run a petrol strimmer over the driveway once a fortnight to get rid of the odd weed here & there. I dont use weedkillers i think they’re a waste of time, they’re often very watered down & the rain will always dilute & wash away whatever goes down.

Ddac or benz biocide will stop it coming back

Did it on my own block paving and weed free since last summer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service
7 hours ago, triangle said:

By full BA do you mean self contained oxygen fed mask when using hypo?   I got a sore throat for two weeks when I used it in January 

 

We were talking about the fire service but you should always were a good mask when spraying hypo with goggles and a face visor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
triangle
14 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

 

We were talking about the fire service but you should always were a good mask when spraying hypo with goggles and a face visor.

I think 3P mask with chlorine filter add on.  Is that a full face visor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scottish cleaning service
15 minutes ago, triangle said:

I think 3P mask with chlorine filter add on.  Is that a full face visor?

 

No, a full face visor protects the face from splashes. You don't want that stuff on your skin. Just google it and you will see a picture of it. I got mine from Screwfix, cheap as chips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
triangle
On 22/04/2019 at 07:31, scottish cleaning service said:

 

No, a full face visor protects the face from splashes. You don't want that stuff on your skin. Just google it and you will see a picture of it. I got mine from Screwfix, cheap as chips.

And you use a respirator with 3p and b filter right?  B is for chlorine and 3P fine dust 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.