Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does Hypo kill weeds?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Lee89

Morning everyone, sorry for the newby question but does hypo kill weeds in block paving or is it best practice to lay down a weed killer 1st?

if so what weed killers do you use?

Thanks 

Petrol strimmer fella. Just run over the whole driveway with a petrol strimmer first it will only take you 20 minutes max.  Then when you pressure wash the remnants should come out with the moss. Nothing stops weeds permanently even after re-sanding i tell the customers they should run a petrol strimmer over the driveway once a fortnight to get rid of the odd weed here & there. I dont use weedkillers i think they’re a waste of time, they’re often very watered down & the rain will always dilute & wash away whatever goes down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mix salt into the kiln sand when im putting it down to help dehydrate and kill any growth that has survived the cleaning process. 

Hypo will burn surface foliage , but I wouldn’t want to say it will do as good a job on things like dandelions and other deep rooted plants that could re grow , weed killer is best for this , hypo will kill algy , moss, licken very well 

Hypo will not kill the roots so in a few weeks they are back. I used weedol on Monday with my sprayer. I believe Roundup is the best but they are trying to ban it because it has glyphosate in it which the EU want to ban.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I’ll give them a go on different jobs and see which one I prefer. 

I picked up my first batch of hypo today and will be testing it tomorrow, after getting full PPE of course. 

I love the Data sheet for sodium hypochloride, for Firefighters.....Full BA ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies chaps. I’ll give them a go on different jobs and see which one I prefer. 

I picked up my first batch of hypo today and will be testing it tomorrow, after getting full PPE of course. 

I love the Data sheet for sodium hypochloride, for Firefighters.....Full BA ?

Full BA for everything now and it makes sense, you get one pair of lungs. I used to put car fires, buses, containers without BA, not now.

I would advise getting a PA1 and PA6 spraying ticket if you are spraying hypo or weedkiller on customers driveways.

FYI.. weedol contains glyphosphate.

Glyphosphate will only really work if sprayed on the leaves of a plant so ideally needs spraying at least a few days before.  Glyphosphate doesn't kill moss or lichens.. but hypo works really well on these.  

Petrol strimmer fella. Just run over the whole driveway with a petrol strimmer first it will only take you 20 minutes max.  Then when you pressure wash the remnants should come out with the moss. Nothing stops weeds permanently even after re-sanding i tell the customers they should run a petrol strimmer over the driveway once a fortnight to get rid of the odd weed here & there. I dont use weedkillers i think they’re a waste of time, they’re often very watered down & the rain will always dilute & wash away whatever goes down.
Ddac or benz biocide will stop it coming back

Did it on my own block paving and weed free since last summer

Back