Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Keep on smiling...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DJT

Four new tyres and an oil change last week. Now awaiting recovery as lost all gears in the van. Fingers crossed its just a snapped clutch cable 

Four new tyres and an oil change last week. Now awaiting recovery as lost all gears in the van. Fingers crossed its just a snapped clutch cable 

If its a Vivato, Trafic or Primastar then its a linkage ball and socket joint. Its a well known issue and there is a purpose made clamp that holds them together.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Vivaro-Gear-Linkage-Cable-Worn-Simple-to-Fit-Repair-Clamp-Clip-Kit-V/252809350998?fits=Model%3AVivaro&epid=592047566&hash=item3adc9c8f56:g:Z8kAAOSwzgBYxQVj

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If the gear lever flops around without having to dip the clutch then it's what @sprucehas said. Happened to me and my mechanic only charged £25 to fix it, fortunately for me it went about 800 yards from his garage.
The other quick fix is a piece of hand glove over the ball and the socket snapped back on. The thickness of the glove will compensate for the wear in the socket and will last a couple of weeks until a permanent fix can be arranged. This will get any owner of these vans going again if the problem occurs out in the 'sticks'.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other quick fix is a piece of hand glove over the ball and the socket snapped back on. The thickness of the glove will compensate for the wear in the socket and will last a couple of weeks until a permanent fix can be arranged. This will get any owner of these vans going again if the problem occurs out in the 'sticks'.
Zip tie will as well, suppose that's a bit modern for your line of thinking ?

No quick fix I'm afraid, new clutch and master slave cylinder, oh and the radiator is rotting out so all in for £850 and the van of the road for a week. Back to the old 25 litre bottles and a back pack this week ?

One thing I have came to realise in this game, you need a reliable van. After laying 2 ton of chips I needed to get another ton. Doing a bit of landscaping for a friend. Will be fitting a 650l tank in the van which means I cant get much more in. Then I will be concentrating on window cleaning and add-ons full time now my numbers are rising.

57plate transit connect, 90k on the clock so might be original clutch. 

Well I certainly headed off in the wrong direction guessing it was a Vivaro or one of its variants.?

I'm sorry about your van situation @DJT. These are expenses none of us need. If it has one of those dual mass flywheels, could they replace it with a bog standard one?

Ah sorry to hear that. I had my master cylinder go not last Xmas but the one before. About a week before Xmas. Actually went while parked on a customers driveway. Had to wait for AA, customer was waiting to get car out if the garage.

I thought it was the clutch that went, but the cylinder had a leak apparently. Had both cylinders replaced & something els small done. Just short of £500.00. 

It never ever happens at a convenient time. 

Cheers lads, always a naff when it happens. Just staying positive and it means van should be good for another 50,000 miles or so hopefully and ill know clutch is strong ready to start ramping up for spring and summer

Back