Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New set up - no water!

MikeL

Evening! 

I’m in the process of switching from using an xline trolley as a van mount to using separate pump and controller from Gardiner. Set it all up but can’t get any water at all from the pump despite it seemingly wearing away as it should. I spoke to someone from Gardiner today who was very helpful and told me to add jubilee clips to the stem to barb which I’d not done to stop airlocks. I’ve now done this but still nothing! Any ideas/suggestions appreciated ?

I’ve add a few pictures - sorry about the darkness my phone battery was about to die and so the torch wouldn’t work ?

C681593B-6AE3-477C-B136-75726F7AD0CE.jpeg

CFD94110-A4ED-478C-926F-BB5798888788.jpeg

669C71B3-1D64-4DED-9CD3-480D77B90C78.jpeg

FD166087-2608-4263-AFC5-CA41797B2CCC.jpeg

ah right it looked as if it was higher   if its a fair bit above the outlet it can cause airlocks that should be ok though 

Is your pump connected up the right way? There is usually an arrow on the bottom to indicate which way water will flow through the pump.

If there is a tap on the outlet of the tank, is that open?

If you disconnect to hose reel Hozelock connector, can you suck water through the pump? If memory serves me those Aquatec pumps have push in barbs. If you uncouple the out port will the pump pump water?

Do you have a female stops connector at the other end of your hose reel?

Is your pump connected up the right way? There is usually an arrow on the bottom to indicate which way water will flow through the pump.

If there is a tap on the outlet of the tank, is that open?

If you disconnect to hose reel Hozelock connector, can you suck water through the pump? If memory serves me those Aquatec pumps have push in barbs. If you uncouple the out port will the pump pump water?

Do you have a female stops connector at the other end of your hose reel?
Thanks.

I’ll check the pump direction again but think so. 

Tap outlet on tank is definitely open.

I tried sucking water out but couldn’t get anything at all. I’ve uncoupled the outport and no water came out. 

I’ve got an EZ snap female at the end of the Microbore on the reel.

Kept going back this afternoon and connecting/disconnecting the separate parts - water seems to be getting to the pump but as it’s 1/2” clear hose I can see air bubbles and the bottom of the strainer isn’t full of water so seems air is getting in somehow I think!?

Another thing @MikeL. Is that a Hozelock stop connector onto the hose reel? If it is then I'd suggest you swap it out for one that isn't a stop connector.

If the water level in your tank is higher than the pump, your pump shouldn't be sucking air as gravity tends to overcome any leaking joint. 

On a Shurflo pump the inlet side from the tank is on the left hand side of the pump as you have photographed it. My gut is telling me that you have the pump inlet and outlet connected up incorrectly.

*****Edit****

If you look at this illustration and magnify it you will see a small flow direction arrow just below the pressure switch. I positive this is the solution to your problem.

https://www.windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/aquatec-12v-100psi-pump.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @spruce ??

I’d checked and tightened everything and can’t believe I’d put the inlet into the outlet on the pump!! Used my trusty Gardiner backpack today and will switch the things round the right way over the weekend. 

Thanks again - it’s great having such quick support and advice ?

Back