Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone Got a Dash Cam?

Tuffers

I decided to buy one last weekend after having a couple of near misses during the week. One car pulled out of the slow lane into the middle lane causing me to brake, I sounded my horn, no apology from the other car. Then a couple of days later a lane for turning right was blocked on a roundabout and a car decides to pull over into my lane for going straight on to undertake the blocked lane, again causing me to brake and divert over to a chevron part of the road. I pulled up and gave him a mouthful and he gives me a mouthful back stating someone had blocked his path. So why does he find it acceptable to just pull out into flowing traffic without indicating and think he's in the right?

I bought a Nextbase 412GW. £89.99 from Halfords. Next time I have any hassle on the road I can point to the camera. That'll show em ?

Yeh would be a good idea to get one. Something about this road travel that can turn people into monsters who are usually totally calm. Ive been guilty myself, though in my defense this has always been defending myself after receiving abuse first. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially for little things, but its amazing how angry some have got with me when it hasnt even been justified ( for example, when your waiting to get onto a roundabout and the chances are few, finally someones pulling off so youhave a quick chance to get on there, and some absolutely hate it and its BEEEEP with the horn. They didnt like it coz they had to slow down a little. Really gets me that, Yeh, can be stress.

I had one and still do but dont use it. I spent too much time pratting around trying to get it to work and switching it on and off. it was slowing my day down. 

In 10 years it wouldnt surprise

me if new vehicles have them fitted as standard, that might make life easier.

good idea but i just found it to be a headache 

I had one previously due to near misses but in my second hand van the power point is knackered and I haven't got around to getting it fixed, My wife has one in her car which I made her get the day she got her new car and she has had some ridiculous near misses were people have made manoeuvres without looking which I know if she was hit in certain instances without a dash cam the insurance company would have possibly had it down as a 50/50 incident definitely more of a must if doing a lot of driving.

@Tuffers as you are with Admiral insurance they class a dash cam as a modification believe it or not my wife has to pay an extra £29 a year I think it is ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had one for a year but only just realized it wasn't recording. Now I have the red light on telling me its recording. With too many cars on the road and people over eighty driving I feel its a must.

We have them in the vans and also in my personal car. For the price you paid @Tufferssounds like we have the same model. 

Ours are all hardwired, come on when ignition starts and goes off when engine shuts off. 

The nextbase one that is about £70 - £80 is the first level one that is accepted as undisputed evidence  if you ever need it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Could have done with one yestarday, an idiot pulled out in front of me on a one way system in heaven rain. I had a full load. Emergency stop threw my blood pressure through the roof.complete idiot! Would have loved posting it online to the community group. I think dash cameras are becoming a necessity.

@Tuffers as you are with Admiral insurance they class a dash cam as a modification believe it or not my wife has to pay an extra £29 a year I think it is ? 

I've just phoned Admiral and if it's a detachable dash cam, i.e. You can take it out at night they don't see it as a modification. If it is a permanent fixture they see it as a modification. Basically I don't need to pay more on my policy to have one. 

We have them in the vans and also in my personal car. For the price you paid @Tufferssounds like we have the same model. 

Ours are all hardwired, come on when ignition starts and goes off when engine shuts off. 

The nextbase one that is about £70 - £80 is the first level one that is accepted as undisputed evidence  if you ever need it. 

Halfords sell a hardware kit with micro SD card and fit it for £50. I was going to get mine hardwired but have managed to feed the wire around the trim and find a 12v socket under the glove compartment, so there's no wires showing at all.

I have the same model dashcam as Tuffers. It's hard wired by Halfords into the work van but I transfer it to the campervan when I'm using that, using a cable plugged into the phone charger / lighter socket. There is so much bad driving on the road that I wouldn't now be without one by choice. The incidents ks789 mentioned of people trying to chase me off roundabouts is very common. I aim to drive carefully and with consideration and courtesy and I will let people out when I can, but some of the things I come across make my blood boil. Often car drivers don't understand or care that we can be carrying a lot of weight. In my case 650kg of water plus my son myself and all the equipment. Sometimes on a busy day I'll have 75 litres in cans as well. I'm not willing to be over - rushed by inconsiderate or aggressive drivers at the sacrifice of my precious work van. Sometimes unfortunately it can be hard to remain pleasant on the road. 

I've just phoned Admiral and if it's a detachable dash cam, i.e. You can take it out at night they don't see it as a modification. If it is a permanent fixture they see it as a modification. Basically I don't need to pay more on my policy to have one. 

Halfords sell a hardware kit with micro SD card and fit it for £50. I was going to get mine hardwired but have managed to feed the wire around the trim and find a 12v socket under the glove compartment, so there's no wires showing at all.
Where is that socket mate? Mine has just broken, gonna replace it with the same model (Nextbase 212) but I plug mine into the socket by the radio at the moment.

Reason mine wasn't recording was because I didn't have a micro sd card inserted, I never knew such a thing existed.

Quality ?. I've just ordered a 512GB micro SD off wish.com for £10 delivered.

Where is that socket mate? Mine has just broken, gonna replace it with the same model (Nextbase 212) but I plug mine into the socket by the radio at the moment.

There's a cut out in the plastic just under the glove box. Like you I thought I'd have to plug it into the one below the radio until I started to route the cable and stumbled on the other 12v socket.

Quality ?. I've just ordered a 512GB micro SD off wish.com for £10 delivered.

There's a cut out in the plastic just under the glove box. Like you I thought I'd have to plug it into the one below the radio until I started to route the cable and stumbled on the other 12v socket.
We're quite lucky that we don't need to hard wire them. I tried my dash cam in the wife's C-max and it would be constantly on while plugged into the cigarette lighter, the cigarette lighter in the van seems to be wired into the ignition ?

I am hearing about more accidents because the drivers are avoiding potholes and the same is happening with cyclists. With the roads getting worse then the accidents will rise as well.

Yeah, certainly I find it frustrating that instead of just needing to read the road for other road users and positioning etc, we now have to also give an awful lot of attention to reading the road surface for potholes and uneven manhole covers etc and for ourselves and other road users trying to avoid them. I almost know each pothole round here by name they've been here that long. ?

More electric cars means less road tax which means less money for road maintenance. I would tax all road users and use the money to resurface the roads. Then I would set up an emission tax but to put the two together is ludicrous. Free for cyclists and mobility scooters. 40 million vehicles in the UK at a charge of £250 a year means £10 Billion a year. Invest that on resurfacing the roads and they would be back to normal in 5yrs creating thousands of jobs. Its really simple arithmetic.

There's a terrific amount of money collected in the form of road tax now, yet look at the state of them. Shocking organisation. 

Even simpler to pay per mile, not fair for someone doing 50 miles per week for be paying the same as someone doing a thousand. 

Too easy to fiddle it, you would find mileage reduction service would take off but there needs to be a Drive to get our roads fit for purpose. My brother sued the council for a damage tyre after driving over a pothole but he pays zero road tax on his car.

Back