Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo mixed with BAC 50?

Moor

I’ve got a few block paving jobs coming up and a few have got moss and a fair few weeds. I don’t really want to have to spray weed killer first before applying hypo as it adds more time or potentially a pre wash visit to spray, will BAC50 mixed with hypo kill the weeds if I give it an hour before pressure washing?

If so, what concentration? My usual is 1:4 hypo/water.

I think someone else asked this not long ago. A petrol strimmer first for the weeds and then the flat surface cleaner should ditch moss

Thanks.

Its more the roots I’m concerned about, I’m planning to cut back and weeds anyway but what I don’t want is them growing back within a couple of weeks.

I’ve got a few block paving jobs coming up and a few have got moss and a fair few weeds. I don’t really want to have to spray weed killer first before applying hypo as it adds more time or potentially a pre wash visit to spray, will BAC50 mixed with hypo kill the weeds if I give it an hour before pressure washing?

If so, what concentration? My usual is 1:4 hypo/water.

Hypo will not kill deep  rooted weeds it will burn the foliage but not kill the root system , to do the job properly you need to use weed killer leave a week then pressure wash , you can then apply a bio treatment after to slow down algy re growth but this will not stop we’d growth between brick pavers , don’t mix bio products with hypo unless it states on the container that you can , one it’s illegal, and two can be very dangerous mixing things with hypo it can produce carsonagenic substance s 

Thanks.

Its more the roots I’m concerned about, I’m planning to cut back and weeds anyway but what I don’t want is them growing back within a couple of weeks.

Don’t  cut them back apply weed killer cutting them back will result in re growth very quickly 

Thanks Pjj, just the type of info I’m after.

Im always concerned about mixing which is why I ask before doing so, chemical gases are nasty.

I will go for some rosate a week before hand to do it right.

I’m interested to hear this as i’ve always been of the belief that any weed killer will be watered down and rendered useless by any rain that may arrive. Obviously we try and plan in advance of good weather but this is britain ?

i’ve never used weed killer to be honest but i’ve just looked at some commercial grade stuff on amazon that looks decent so wondering if i should give it a try.

The concerns i have are, at £20-£30 a pop it would add £70 to the price to show up and do a pre-treatment including labour. As with sealing it could likely be just one more thing to put the customer off the job? As it is we make 3 journeys, one to quote, two to clean, three to sand. Thats partly why we dont seal, it gets more expensive and more un-economical with every ad-on you provide. If we included pre-treatment and sealing it would be a total of 5 journeys to do a driveway job which sounds excessive to me.

Youd have to charge for the whole bottle of weedkiller even if you dont use it all, as with hypo once it’s been opened it only has a certain shelf life.

customers tend to want instant & rapid results as well, they don’t like waiting i find. Some change their minds within a week i find ? always looking for cheaper quotes or suddenly decide “oh the husbands doing it now” 

I appreciate you know your stuff ? 

i just wonder if it can only really go so far.

For me it’s more about reputation, if weeds start growing back quickly which won’t look good. For me half an hour at the end of the day  to lay down some weed killer is probably worth it for a good result.

I get loads of weeds on my own driveway and it’s due a clean, sand and seal so I will try this method out and see how long I can go weed free.

I have found that weeds will never go away fella, old ones die and new ones appear pretty quick i have no fear of that.

It’s no different to maintaining a veg patch, i’ll dig it over but it takes all summer to keep it free of weeds. 

I do tell my customers nothing is maintenance free. A quick petrol strim once a fortnight the same time as you do the lawn does no harm. 

Depending how far you travel to do a job I don’t find it a problem at the end of the working day to go and spray a drive or path etc , oviously if it’s hundreds of sm then it will take a while but your avarage drive/path doesn’t take long , with regards to pricing I have found the opposite customers like the fact that we weed kill first , then wash a week later , I do however explaine that , the drive will not stay weed free and will require maintenance, I suggest they go round once a month and spray with resolva weed killer in the spray can thing themselves, I also offer to go and do it for them at a price , all so far have opted to do it themselves, some do and some don’t but I have explained what will happen if they don’t keep on top of it . Most of our jobs are a £300 + for a drive wash on a small house , and on a detached large one several times that price , the key to all this is selling the service to the customer , explaine why they should have you and what sets you apart from the others quoting , as an example last year I had a customer ask for a price to wash a block drive, patio concrete slabs , and slab path all around the house , I quoted £650 , the guy got other quotes ranging in price from £125-400 but guess what we got the job beacause I sold him how we would do the job and he realised that the job could not be done for the cheap end price that others had quoted, I know some people expect you to wash a path for £50 we have a minimum set up fee of £150 so this gets rid of cheap skates that don’t want to pay for a proper job . Also knowing your area helps , if you get a call from someone who lives in a council type of house then you know it’s very unlikely they will pay a reasonable price , if they are from a more affluent area then they probably will pay . We do pressurewashing as an add on job so I don’t care if we get it or not , but we don’t do cheap work , and Ime not intrested in compeating on price with any work we do ,I let the quality of the work we do speak for its self , that’s the type of customer I want . Once you get a small number of that type of customer they will recommend you to there friends so they will have a rough idear of your prices from the friends , we pick up lots of work like this . 

I’m thinking of getting a turbo lance this year. Surface cleaner isn’t exactly performing as well/quick as it should be, it works like but progress is slow. I took it to be serviced once and they didn’t really solve the problem so i’m hesitant to take it again. From what i’ve seen a turbo nozzle does a very good job as well. I’ve had one or two episodes where the surface cleaner has needed attention or started acting up so it would also serve as a good back up Rather than just having a straight lance. One time when it stopped working we had to lance a third of a block pave driveway man then you realise why you get a surface cleaner. 

I’m thinking of getting a turbo lance this year. Surface cleaner isn’t exactly performing as well/quick as it should be, it works like but progress is slow. I took it to be serviced once and they didn’t really solve the problem so i’m hesitant to take it again. From what i’ve seen a turbo nozzle does a very good job as well. I’ve had one or two episodes where the surface cleaner has needed attention or started acting up so it would also serve as a good back up Rather than just having a straight lance. One time when it stopped working we had to lance a third of a block pave driveway man then you realise why you get a surface cleaner. 
Do you grease it up? I know mine is recommended to be greased up every 50 hours or so. 

For me it’s more about reputation, if weeds start growing back quickly which won’t look good. For me half an hour at the end of the day  to lay down some weed killer is probably worth it for a good result.

I get loads of weeds on my own driveway and it’s due a clean, sand and seal so I will try this method out and see how long I can go weed free.
Weedkiller needs to be touching the leaf to really take effect so putting it down at the end of the day is pretty pointless. 

I had the same with my fsc if you take the head assembly apart you will probably find the grease has gone head causing the head to rotate slowly , just clean out all the old grease flush with wd40 re pack with grease and it should work like new again 

I did grease it maybe a little more often than i should (the guys who serviced it told me to grease it after every use) so after following those instructions it started rotating in an odd manner and leaving lines, since i’ve stopped greasing it, it seems to be ok...ish. Cleaning seems to be rather slow, needing to keep it stationary longer and wheeling it very slowly to get an acceptable result which i’m sure isn’t right. 

I had the same with my fsc if you take the head assembly apart you will probably find the grease has gone head causing the head to rotate slowly , just clean out all the old grease flush with wd40 re pack with grease and it should work like new again 
Legend! I have often thought shall i just pull it all apart, i was just worried about breaking a seal or gasket inside, that’s why i took it to the pros the first time as i knew they’ed have replacements should they break anything lol. 

I did grease it maybe a little more often than i should (the guys who serviced it told me to grease it after every use) so after following those instructions it started rotating in an odd manner and leaving lines, since i’ve stopped greasing it, it seems to be ok...ish. Cleaning seems to be rather slow, needing to keep it stationary longer and wheeling it very slowly to get an acceptable result which i’m sure isn’t right. 
If lit leaving stripes then it could be the jets need replacing or are partly blocked with rust if it’s been standing around not used , if it’s running slow then Di what I said about removing the old grease you won’t belive the difference it makes 

Do you grease it up? I know mine is recommended to be greased up every 50 hours or so. 

Weedkiller needs to be touching the leaf to really take effect so putting it down at the end of the day is pretty pointless. 

You have miss read what I said about weed killer , what I said was it doesn’t take long at the end of the day to go and spray the area with weed killer before you do the job then leave it a week then wash that will kill the roots 

Im talking about doing it the day or a few days before the clean rather than afterwards.

Ime oviously not explaining it well . Quote the job ,get the go ahead , go spray with weed killer , leave a week , 

pressure wash , re sand , spray with bio to slow down regrowth of algy not weeds , hope this makes sense ???

Ime oviously not explaining it well . Quote the job ,get the go ahead , go spray with weed killer , leave a week , 

pressure wash , re sand , spray with bio to slow down regrowth of algy not weeds , hope this makes sense ???

Is that not what I said? Granted I said a few days rather than a week, other than that it’s exactly what I plan to do.

Back