Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water Tank Problem

3cwc

We’ve recently got a 500ml tank and today was the first time using two poles with the two pumps coming from the tank.. however after around 5 houses, we noticed the tank had started to get sucked in and completely reshaped itself, almost as if the air was being sucked out. After some time we managed to prize the lid open to release the air... anyone have any idea or solutions as to why this is happening and how to stop it. 

Many thanks! 

Seems very odd that it's only happened when using 2 pumps, is the tank lid vented? as this is the only probable cause I would have thought if it's not vented, are you running the pumps flat out with no controller?  

Drill a small hole in the top of the tank just small enough to squeeze a length (around 4 inches) of pole hose into.

Squeeze the end slightly into the hole, silicon around the edge and this will vent the tank and the water will not splash up the tube ?.

Good luck

We’ve recently got a 500ml tank and today was the first time using two poles with the two pumps coming from the tank.. however after around 5 houses, we noticed the tank had started to get sucked in and completely reshaped itself, almost as if the air was being sucked out. After some time we managed to prize the lid open to release the air... anyone have any idea or solutions as to why this is happening and how to stop it. 

Many thanks! 

What tank is it? Perhaps a photo would help.

Wydale tanks come with a vented lid, but the lid stands proud of the tank.

I know its a pain but if your lid isn't vented then you might have to loosen it fractionally before each job and tighten it when you leave. If I was in your situation I would look at a vent such as this and fit it into your tank lid. Before ordering I would ask the question if it works one way only, ie. allows air in but not fluid out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARINE-INBOARD-OUTBOARD-CHROME-BRASS-FUEL-TANK-GAS-VENT-THROUGH-HULL/152013307364?hash=item2364b2fde4:g:p8oAAOSwr7ZW5JGr

Seems very odd that it's only happened when using 2 pumps, is the tank lid vented? as this is the only probable cause I would have thought if it's not vented, are you running the pumps flat out with no controller?  

It would have happened with one pump as well imho. I would guess that this is the first time that @3cwc tightened the lid down really tight and completely sealed it.

If it is ine of these lids there is a peg type protrusion a couple inches long on the inside of it which has a hole in

(You'll know what I mean if it has it)

I use a drill and extend the hole through the lid to vent them

Drilling it in that stops water splashing out of the hole when driving

Screenshot_20190315-080802_Samsung Internet.jpg

If it is ine of these lids there is a peg type protrusion a couple inches long on the inside of it which has a hole in

(You'll know what I mean if it has it)

I use a drill and extend the hole through the lid to vent them

Drilling it in that stops water splashing out of the hole when driving

View attachment 15957
I found when I first started using two pumps that I would hear air trying to suck into the tank through the lid seal. I figured that this would be putting strain on the pumps and could also cause damage to the tank. I looked at the underside of the lid (same type as shown above), I drilled a small hole right through the peg, about 2mm in diameter, and screwed a 4mm x 30mm wood screw a few threads in, from the underside of the lid. Not too tight as I wanted to allow enough room for air to get past the threads. This allows air into the tank but it doesn't let water up past the screw threads. This works really well. It's been this way for a couple of years. I did once hear the sucking sound a while ago. I took the screw out, cleaned the corrosion off the screw threads and replaced it. No problem since. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I found when I first started using two pumps that I would hear air trying to suck into the tank through the lid seal. I figured that this would be putting strain on the pumps and could also cause damage to the tank. I looked at the underside of the lid (same type as shown above), I drilled a small hole right through the peg, about 2mm in diameter, and screwed a 4mm x 30mm wood screw a few threads in, from the underside of the lid. Not too tight as I wanted to allow enough room for air to get past the threads. This allows air into the tank but it doesn't let water up past the screw threads. This works really well. It's been this way for a couple of years. I did once hear the sucking sound a while ago. I took the screw out, cleaned the corrosion off the screw threads and replaced it. No problem since. 
I drilled it with an 8mm hole and like @spruce suggested stuck a couple of inches of hose in the top

Its enough to stop any water leaking out

Oops lol

I'm not used to the ginger ninja having good ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back