Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can water go bad in a closed container?

moto

Hi Guys, Appologies if covered before, can not find it...

Posssibly silly question; can pure water go bad in a closed container? I have six 25L containers but only used 4 today, will not used other two untill next Saturday. Is there use-by date for pure water? Thanks

I'd like to know this also, I have a 600 litre Ibc now so can fill that but still decant into 25 litre barrels afterwards. I've stored mine for a week before with zero issue. I would have thought with it having zero mineral content anything that could go bad has been removed but I know little about the variables.

If the container is clean @moto and @Ana then no. In the old days I used to carry an extra 100 liters in the back of the van to be used as and when required. Some of those containers stayed unopened for months before they were used with no issue.

A few years ago we were snowed and iced in for 6 weeks. The water in the IBC tank was perfect when we got started again.

I used some recently. Three 25 litre cans that had been sitting outside full for several months. I carried them in the van in case as I had a very busy day ahead with a lot of travelling. Checked with a TDS meter and they were reading 006. I poured them into the tank when I had used about a hundred litres to dilute them. No issues were caused. 

I fail to see how TDS could rise in a closed, clean container, as there would be no addition of any exterior particles.

Algae build up and bacteria could be an issue though, especially if the container is clear and in the sun so the UV rays gets to work it's magic. This is why you never drink from your tank by the way.

I believe I have a container in the basement with some 1+year old pure. I'll measure the TDS later if I locate it.

I had some pure water in 25ltr drums in my garage. 

Probably had been in there for a couple of years, when I moved house,so checked TDs and it was no different was 002. 

As long as it is stored out of direct sunlight then I believe that it can be stored for a very long time.

i had some in 25 ltr canisters in a shed at my mum's  moved to scotland for 3 yrs and they were still 0000 when i came back 

I would be more concerned about legionaries.

For the sake of a couple of pence throw it down the drain if water has been stored in barrels for long periods of time.
I was just about to comment this. Regardless how remote the possibility is it's not a risk worth taking. Even if you bought 25L of water it would be worth less than a quid!

I would be more concerned about legionaries.

For the sake of a couple of pence throw it down the drain if water has been stored in barrels for long periods of time.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/blog/Legionnaires/

I don't believe I've heard of one case of Legionaires generated and spread by a window cleaner in the past 15 years we have been wfp. I appreciate that its still a subject we should all take seriously.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/blog/Legionnaires/

I don't believe I've heard of one case of Legionaires generated and spread by a window cleaner in the past 15 years we have been wfp. I appreciate that its still a subject we should all take seriously.

It needs to be stagnant water , between a set temperature range that I cannot remember at the moment but it’s highley unlikely that we as window cleaners would cause it . I know years ago ionics tried selling an annual service to there customers to prevent this situation when I spoke to Ruben Reynolds , and Craig mawlam they admitted it was highly unlikely that this could happen but they said it was there way of offering a solution just in case , all they proposed doing was filling the tank with a hypo or Melton’s solution and pumping it out and that would kill any potential dangerous bacteria 

I used to use rain water until I had a serious illness and legionaires is one of many possible causes since then never used rainwater just in case . Think its when water temp reaches 18 is when problems start so in summer produce just enough for a few days work .

Latest Posts

Back