Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

do I need an ro tds below 100

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Josh Foster

hi so I am getting a tds reading from my outside tap at 90 ppm could I get away with just using a DI vessel or will I still meed an RO system thanks

hi spruce I am not on a water meter, i haven't got lost of customers just want to be able to produce it myself without having to buy it and the traveling for it. where is the best place to get a di vessel thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi spruce I am not on a water meter, i having got lost of customers just want to be able to produce it myself without having to buy it and the traveling for it. where is the best place to get a di vessel thanks.
I know I'd be buying right if I bought from Daqua or Gardiners.

Running 2 di vessels is a good way to start but I would definitly go r/o. There will be the added expense of a storage tank (most use a 1000 ibc tank), transfer hose and sub pump as well as the r/o. Just on your own I would look minimum of a 450gpd r/o. You won't need a large di vessel as the resin won't be doing much work.

Twin di will be more convenient to begin with but resin will cost you.

I have a 7 liter di vessel filled with 6 liters of resin. The resin needs replacing in the di vessel as output to IBC is 1ppm. The resin was last changed in Sept 2017 (18 months ago.) Our tap water tds averages around 110ppm and we use between 1500 and 2000 liters a week of pure.

no   i use around 500 ltrs a day average  and use 25ltrs of resin just under 3 month but my tds is only 36    if your using a lot less water you might get 4 months  or longer, there is a resin calculator on gardiners web site  you just need to double the size of the vessel if your using 2 

I got a good refurbished one off Ebay. I have also seen some 'botched' refurbished units. The worst was an extended riser tube that was originally used in a smaller r/o.
ive only ever brought 2 and the first was off a supplier and the recon was years ago    really its important so if there are iffy ones about ebays probably a bad idea 

ive only ever brought 2 and the first was off a supplier and the recon was years ago    really its important so if there are iffy ones about ebays probably a bad idea 

I didn't realise how fortunate I was at the time to get a good one. I think I paid about £30 plus postage for it.

I see gardiners has a bigger one for £41.50 + VAT

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/water-treatment/11-litre-di-resin-pressure-vessel-canister-3-4-bspt-ports.html

so I would go new if I needed to buy again and not risk a dud. Add something extra he needs to the order to make £50 and next day delivery is free.

so if i got 2 di vessels say 11 litre ones and a bag of resin with my

tds at 90

25l resin bag

di size 11 x2 di vessels

litres used per month 200 nowhere near this yet

cost per litre £0.013

monthly cost £2.62

change di vessel every 117.2 weeks.

thats the results with gardiners resin calculator

this seems the best way to go for starting out would you agree thanks

My TDS is around 40 ppm and I’ve got two 5 litre di’s set up as a double and use approx 2000-2500 litres per week. I probs use around 5 litres of resin per month costing around £15. 

@Josh Foster that purchase will cost you £192.00 now, but fast forward 6 months and your rounds have grown in size and your water demands and you find you need an R/O which you will then you would have to spend £210 on a 450gpd R/0, yes you will need a storage tank like a 350ltr water butt for around £60 and a sub pump and transfer hose at a cost of £75.00 = £345 for an R/O set up. 

You may still need a small DI vessel to get the tds down to 000ppm my tap tds is at most 75ppm last I checked and my 450gpd R/O gets my tds down to 001ppm you need to think long term and reduce your overall spend no point spending £192 now then £345 in the next few months. 

Not everyone will agree.. but if I was starting on a budget with low tap TDS and low water requirements, I would buy a cheap RO (£100), some resin (£25-£90 depending on quantity), a used black IBC tank (<£50, black to avoid algae) and a submersible dirty water pump (£33 eBay 750W).

As your requirements increase it can be upgraded in stages as needed.

For instance, you can upgrade the membrane to improve rejection rate, buy another membrane and housing to increase output, get a seperate Resin vessel and use the current one for a third prefilter.

It's better to go whole hog and buy a great water producing setup immediately but as your post was about what would save money then I think this is a good middle ground without needless spending on things you don't need yet / things you'll grow out of.

Screenshot_20190318-134010.png

RO is 75us gallons per day btw. Enough for his needs with time to accumulate but will need to upgrade when requirements get higher.

In the long run I think you will find it’s cheaper to use ro than Di , but it is swings and roundabouts at that tds , we have similar tds to you and have always been ro and find it cheap to run bag of resin lasts 12-15 months approximately and we are using 6-8 thousand ltr per week of pure 

Back