Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner back pack hose fitting

Tango

Hi guys,

When ordering my back pack i left the choice of connector as none as I had no idea what i'd need and thought i'd do it with the pole. Last week P day finally came after being paid at the end of Feb and i ordered the pole (CLX27) and went with the EZ snap option for the fitting. Must be said, Gardiner bundling the hose, brush, goose neck and connector all on the same page made it a lot easier!

But then I hit a snag! What connector for the backpack? - Their site had loads of them! So I emailed, they said 8mm female stop barb to match the 8mm diameter internal bore of the hose.. Great! Added that into the basket and got things rolling a few days later once I'd sorted out some other stuff.

So this morning i finally went to my local water supplier, topped up the plastic Jerrys and the BP and came home. Now the connector has become a problem. Well in truth i'd tried fitting it a few days ago and gave up but came back to it today. The hose on the BP has a 6mm internal diameter, not 8mm like the email reply from Gardiner first said so the barb is 2mm too big and that hose is a tough cookie! I emailed them about it today and got a reply back saying that they recommend a bigger barb to ensure a tight fit - which isn't what they previously said when they recommended the same size for the same size.

I've managed to force a bit of the hose onto the barb and it does remain water tight but it refuses to go all the way and even with heat (lighter, hot water) it doesn't become soft enough to slip on all the way.

Anyone else with the Gardiner back pack got any connector information for their hose please?

Thanks ;-)

Tango

A cup of boiling water and dip the hose in to soften it then it should go on easy enough, might be slightest challenge but it will go on. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

When ordering my back pack i left the choice of connector as none as I had no idea what i'd need and thought i'd do it with the pole. Last week P day finally came after being paid at the end of Feb and i ordered the pole (CLX27) and went with the EZ snap option for the fitting. Must be said, Gardiner bundling the hose, brush, goose neck and connector all on the same page made it a lot easier!

But then I hit a snag! What connector for the backpack? - Their site had loads of them! So I emailed, they said 8mm female stop barb to match the 8mm diameter internal bore of the hose.. Great! Added that into the basket and got things rolling a few days later once I'd sorted out some other stuff.

So this morning i finally went to my local water supplier, topped up the plastic Jerrys and the BP and came home. Now the connector has become a problem. Well in truth i'd tried fitting it a few days ago and gave up but came back to it today. The hose on the BP has a 6mm internal diameter, not 8mm like the email reply from Gardiner first said so the barb is 2mm too big and that hose is a tough cookie! I emailed them about it today and got a reply back saying that they recommend a bigger barb to ensure a tight fit - which isn't what they previously said when they recommended the same size for the same size.

I've managed to force a bit of the hose onto the barb and it does remain water tight but it refuses to go all the way and even with heat (lighter, hot water) it doesn't become soft enough to slip on all the way.

Anyone else with the Gardiner back pack got any connector information for their hose please?

Thanks ?

Tango

Hi Tango

The 8mm EZ-Snap barb is the correct size to use with the Backpack hose. This is the size that we use when clients select the EZ-Snap option on the backpacks.

We use the 8mm option as the ID on the orange outlet hose fromm the backpack is actually fractionally too large for the 6mm barb.

When fitting this we would recommend the following:

1. Slip on a 12.5mm - 14.5mm O clip over the end of the hose

2. Dip the hose end in a cup of near boiling water to soften the end

3. Then push in the 8mm barb EZ-Snap female - which should go in easily

4. Slide the O Clip back over the hose end to rest above where the barbs are and tighten with an O Clip Pincers

Ah okay, maybe i didn't have the water quite hot enough then! Will give it another go..

I was just a bit confused because the earlier email said the back pack hose was 8mm... yet it turns out to be 6!

Ta for the reply ;)

Tango

Hi Tango

Boiling water in a mug will do it - dip the end in for about 20 seconds.

The backpack hose is not 6mm  - it is actually an imperial size which is bigger than 6mm, but not quite 8mm. If you tried to fit the 6mm barb you would find it loose - In use the 8mm barb works very well and never leaks once fitted and an O clip is in place. You were correctly advised on which size fitting you need.

Could you send me the text of the email via private message which advised you not to use boiling water - I want to see which of my team said this to you ?

Hi again Alex

Well this is what i measured yesterday:

IMG_20190318_092911.jpg

As you can see, it kinda looks like 6mm. I can get out the calipers.. but that seems overkill. The problem I've had is that the orange pipe is literally so stiff and small that .. well.. I might as well try lifting a mountain lol.

I did try after your staff replied and haven't yet tried the boil but just before i sent my email in yesterday, this was the best i could do - and it's the same again after trying with hot (but not boiling) water:

IMG_20190318_093011.jpg

Despite looking like it'll drop off any second, it actually seems to hold rather well like that so I'm starting to think i'll be best just leaving it like that and carrying on with life.

Yes I'll send you the email, but i must point out that i was originally advised the inner diameter of the hose pipe was 8mm - not 6ish hence my concerns because from my POV it looked like someone had made a bit of a blunder - it's certainly caused me some confusion until you cleared it up. 

Anyway half seated in the pipe it works and feels secure enough so rather than trying to break my arms again and risking a visit to A&E from boiling water, I think i might just leave it as-is. Reason being that each attempt i make see's my back pack hose grow slightly shorter by 1cm and frankly, having lost 5cm odd already, i'm not really wanting to cut it down any further! Obviously if the connector does work its way out i'll give the boil a try..

Tango

You would find that if you fitted a 6mm barb it would not seal properly. This is why you were advised to buy the correct 8mm barb fitting. We have fitted about 2,500 of these 8mm barbs to this hose in the last 3 years and this is the correct size to use.

When fitted with near-boiling water it does slide in fairly easily and provide an excellent fit. Of course all hose fittings should be secured with an O Clip or a Jubilee Type Clip. Given time and water pressure this will pop off if not secured.

Could you let me know the name of the Staff member who advised by email not to use boiling water - I need to look into why this was said to you.

Hi, hope you got the ack pack sorted, I had issues when starting with it, but the gardiner site and info is spot on and works well. The o clips etc all tighten it up nice. back pack works very well ? If you are local give me a shout as in kent to.  Some peeps on here have helped me when starting out.

Yeah it's good, functional and does the job. I had expected the pump to be noisy like a 12V car tyre pump but it's actually quiet which was a rather nice surprise. I'm pleased with my BP but fascinated by the pole - no idea why, i just find it cool.

I still need to hack my trolley a bit more to get the maximum efficiency out of it though lol. 

Some ideas I have for my trolley:

• Must remain foldable / collapsible so it can still be used for other things at short notice (plus i'm using a small car that also has a kiddy seat in the back)
  • Nothing permanently attached (except pole holder - but that can be unbolted)
  • Pole holder - complete - used 50mm gutter down pipe from B&Q - it's way cool!!! It's got a bend at the bottom to hold the pole and then i used one of my boys play-doh lids on that to stop water dripping out in unwanted places - photos to follow in DIY thread at some point.
  • Small toolbox & holder - to keep paperwork / pen / gloves / misc bits in
  • Small folding platform / clipboard holder so i can write quotes / invoices without having to try and do it on the back of my hand
  • Secondary water supply - mostly complete - done by turning the BP sideways and fitting a barrel next to it. I been mulling over putting the BP and barrel in a box / crate so they they aren't reliant on bungee cords as separate items but instead are contained as one item. Need to prowl round B&Q to see what they have..
  • Air hose reel like Den uses - again not permanently bolted on but on some sort of bracket so it's easy to remove / fit.
  •  

You reckon i could also hack one of them hot water heaters onto it somehow? lol

Need to get myself one of those uni / flow valve things too as i've been wasting water switching between windows without one. When i hit the back pack switch each time between windows i saved so much water that it convinced me i do need something at pole / hand height to stop the water.

Where in Kent are you?

EDIT some bits removed as i realised they were already covered above in this thread

Hi Tango, I am in the process of getting ideas together to build a trolly system too, got some good ideas and info off people but liittle unsure of fiting all together myself, want to get it right and the best it can be. I want one of the hose reals thats small and easy to use, finding it hard to narow down to what one. Somthing easy to put in and out f the car, plonk it down and have enough real to walk around the house that would be perfect.  ike your ideas above ?  Have sent you a Pm mate, all the best ?

Furthermore I have the uni valve and its brilliant one tug its off one tug its on, so easy, saves a load of water each day, one of the best things out there.

Do you use the gardiner BP with your univalve? - How is the pump holding up? - I'm kinda scared of using one in case my pump goes bang! Can you release the valve slowly to stop it suddenly jerking at the pump?

Univalve and gardiner backpack work fine together.

The pump will get noisier as it ages.

Hi Tango, I am in the process of getting ideas together to build a trolly system too, got some good ideas and info off people but liittle unsure of fiting all together myself, want to get it right and the best it can be. I want one of the hose reals thats small and easy to use, finding it hard to narow down to what one. Somthing easy to put in and out f the car, plonk it down and have enough real to walk around the house that would be perfect.  ike your ideas above ?  Have sent you a Pm mate, all the best ?

Furthermore I have the uni valve and its brilliant one tug its off one tug its on, so easy, saves a load of water each day, one of the best things out there.
Look on amazon for a claber aquapony

Perfect reel for a trolley

Designed to hold 20m garden hose but will take a lot more of wfp hose

I'll take a pic of mine later

So that's the wear from sudden stop starts then!

Can you pull / release the univalve slowly to stop the supply gradually rather than instantly?
The pump has a pressure switch on which cuts the pump out meaning the pump is not under any strain just like using the on off switch

They just get louder with age

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Claber-Aqua-Pony-Hose-Reel/dp/B007VDJ654/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=claber+aqua+pony&qid=1556703200&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

So that's the wear from sudden stop starts then!

Can you pull / release the univalve slowly to stop the supply gradually rather than instantly?

Nope. A univalve makes no difference to pump life in my experience.

The valve is either open or closed.

I am wondering about the fittings for the Gardiner V3 Pack as well.

I have 6mm or 8mm fantail connectors. I can try either but the hose has a rubber seal and threaded plastic connector!

Should I just cut these off?

Hi again Alex

Well this is what i measured yesterday:

View attachment 16002

As you can see, it kinda looks like 6mm. I can get out the calipers.. but that seems overkill. The problem I've had is that the orange pipe is literally so stiff and small that .. well.. I might as well try lifting a mountain lol.

I did try after your staff replied and haven't yet tried the boil but just before i sent my email in yesterday, this was the best i could do - and it's the same again after trying with hot (but not boiling) water:

View attachment 16003

Despite looking like it'll drop off any second, it actually seems to hold rather well like that so I'm starting to think i'll be best just leaving it like that and carrying on with life.

Yes I'll send you the email, but i must point out that i was originally advised the inner diameter of the hose pipe was 8mm - not 6ish hence my concerns because from my POV it looked like someone had made a bit of a blunder - it's certainly caused me some confusion until you cleared it up. 

Anyway half seated in the pipe it works and feels secure enough so rather than trying to break my arms again and risking a visit to A&E from boiling water, I think i might just leave it as-is. Reason being that each attempt i make see's my back pack hose grow slightly shorter by 1cm and frankly, having lost 5cm odd already, i'm not really wanting to cut it down any further! Obviously if the connector does work its way out i'll give the boil a try..

Tango
there is nothing at all wrong with the hose or fitting.

Like Alex says Hot water dip the hose 

Make sure you have a double ear O clip slipped onto the hose first 

Press in the rectus fitting until the hose covers all of the barb fitting so it's snug behind the bulk of the fitting and crimp the connector 

It's literally a game of copy this play snap 

20201002_202431.jpg

I think you need to elaborate, the hose in the pic above looks like pole hose and I have no idea what fantail fittings are, when you bought the backpack you will have had an option as to which fitting you wanted on the orange hose pre-fitted to the back pack did you select ez-snap or hozelock style fitting maybe uploading pics of your fittings will get you faster answer to resolve the issue you are having.  

Back