Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hello need advise

G22

I’ve used the pole system but I’m only Cleaning for the summer months . Winter, I look for pt work elsewhere. My customers are happy with the work . Im not interested in full time cleaning. I only bring in around £500 a month . I’m on a low income which gives me housing benefit support! Im now getting a license for Windows this summer but! . Will this effect my housing benefit ? & will I still be able to claim for this window license while on housing benefit if on a low income of around £500 ? Not sure where to start ?? Thanks 

Last edited by a moderator:
With respect this a forum for professional window cleaner's and those wanting to be so, I think you need speak to the relevant government departments 

Window Licence? Eh? What da...

Is that serious? I mean i can operate a Bendi forklift legally on a "Certificate of training" but a licence for window cleaning with a simple pole? 

I’ve used the Waterford pole but I’m only Cleaning for the summer months . Winter, I look for pt work elsewhere. My customers are happy with the work . Im not interested in full time cleaning. I only bring in around £500 a month . I’m on a low income which gives me housing benefit support! Im now getting a license for Windows this summer but! . Will this effect my housing benefit ? & will I still be able to claim for this window license while on housing benefit if on a low income of around £500 ? Not sure where to start ?? Thanks 
If you put your mind to it you could easily earn £500 a week not doing long days and that's all year round.... Your on a low income well guess what YOU can change that but while your happy to sponge off the tax payer you probably

won't ! 

I’ve used the Waterford pole but I’m only Cleaning for the summer months . Winter, I look for pt work elsewhere. My customers are happy with the work . Im not interested in full time cleaning. I only bring in around £500 a month . I’m on a low income which gives me housing benefit support! Im now getting a license for Windows this summer but! . Will this effect my housing benefit ? & will I still be able to claim for this window license while on housing benefit if on a low income of around £500 ? Not sure where to start ?? Thanks 
@tango, no it doesn't apply to England, ni,or wales. its just Scotland, its a way  for the Scottish government as I understand it to regulate window cleaners so it cuts out the beer brigade as checks on licences are made regulary so i'm told.

ok, g22 lives in ayeshire  its the worst area in the uk for window cleaning most homes are around £4 some a lot less than that bigger homes maybe  £5 what we would charge  £30 upwards it just may be £10 in ayeshire theres just no money whatsoever there. so in a way I can understand the way g22 is asking the question.

although looking through g22's profile you've been cleaning for maybe 20 years, your not doing yourself any favours as in your still in the same position I guess you were even back then. what is stopping you from making a go of this and getting out of the benefits trap? ok it could well be hard work to do this.

I've just realised i'm 52 and at 43 I got my first sick note-it was from severing a guider in my hand-I've always worked never claimed so maybe i'm not the best person to answer your question or to even help you-sorry for that.

spoke to my licensing officer last year about cleaners with no license told me if I get the time and day there in an area they will go out and check licenses the problem is there rarely consistent and the licensing officer said that you get charged but if they pay for a licensing within 7days the charges are drop. prices vary from council to council just away for them to make money might as well work without one till you get caught then take one out never new of anyone having there license checked

I've just realised i'm 52 and at 43 I got my first sick note-it was from severing a guider in my hand-I've always worked never claimed

You're a lucky man! I've been in and out of work for years. This last decade has been difficult for me due to medical reasons, had an operation a few years ago that nearly killed me, had an emergency op to save me and it's been a pile of brown stuff since. I did become a dad though..

Last year I got lucky - got my job at B&Q which enabled me to save up some funds and buy my gear from Gardiner. For the first time in my life I feel like i finally have some control of my own future and potential. It's a great feeling.

spoke to my licensing officer last year about cleaners with no license told me if I get the time and day there in an area they will go out and check licenses the problem is there rarely consistent and the licensing officer said that you get charged but if they pay for a licensing within 7days the charges are drop. prices vary from council to council just away for them to make money might as well work without one till you get caught then take one out never new of anyone having there license checked
my License is £305  for three years , but get caught without one and the fine is £2500 and YES they are cracking down on licenses .

You're a lucky man! I've been in and out of work for years. This last decade has been difficult for me due to medical reasons, had an operation a few years ago that nearly killed me, had an emergency op to save me and it's been a pile of brown stuff since. I did become a dad though..

Last year I got lucky - got my job at B&Q which enabled me to save up some funds and buy my gear from Gardiner. For the first time in my life I feel like i finally have some control of my own future and potential. It's a great feeling.
Best post I’ve read in a long time! 

ours is £178 for 3 years not enforced. I don't mind paying for the license if it was enforced last time I spoke to the licensing officer he told me we had to call and tell them when and where a unlicensed cleaner was going to be which always changes and if you got caught if you payed for a license within 7days all charges were dropped 

Latest Posts

Back