Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Considering relocating to West Wales. Prices?

steele

Hi, as the title suggests we're considering a move to West Wales, likely the Cardigan area.  What are the prices like in that area?  per window and usual minimum price for a clean?

This isn't really a major deciding factor just be keen to know before I head that way.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
What i will tell you is that west wales is a very, very, windy area. Its subject to 60+ mph winds on a regular basis. You will probably find that people down there only have them cleaned in the summer for this reason. Also in the winter you are guaranteed to lose a lot of time as it’s very exposed to atlantic storms and bad weather. So based on that, + the existing competition you may face down there, i would suggest it’s no walk in the park therefore charge adequately. The population in those areas is very small therefore decreased demand and more travel to rural settlements. In the Cardiff & south wales Valleys basin there is a million of us and we struggle competing with each other for work. Cardigan has 4000 people. So put that in to context. It may be very hard to grow a business to a point where it’s viable. Best of luck either way fella 

p.s. i should also add, people in north & west wales aren’t too tolerant of outsiders from what i’ve heard, especially english. They are trying to preserve the welsh language up there. Not speaking from a personal experience but i had a friend go up there (he’s also from south wales) and he said shopkeepers would refuse to speak to him in English (even though they do speak it) so that may be another thing to contend with, they may be much more inclined to use a local from the area who speaks welsh.

I agree with Incheck. I don't think it will be easy. As he said small population density and wild weather conditions make it hard, and with that in mind the mindset of the populace is likely to be different to inland regarding having the windows cleaned. I have lived in the west of Ireland at different times, about eighteen years in total. The population density and climate is very similar to West Wales. T'wasnt easy to make an independent living. However, "where there's a will" as they say. If you're determined you'll make it happen. I'd also keep an open mind for other opportunities that you may come across. Very best of luck. ??

What i will tell you is that west wales is a very, very, windy area. Its subject to 60+ mph winds on a regular basis. You will probably find that people down there only have them cleaned in the summer for this reason. Also in the winter you are guaranteed to lose a lot of time as it’s very exposed to atlantic storms and bad weather. So based on that, + the existing competition you may face down there, i would suggest it’s no walk in the park therefore charge adequately. The population in those areas is very small therefore decreased demand and more travel to rural settlements. In the Cardiff & south wales Valleys basin there is a million of us and we struggle competing with each other for work. Cardigan has 4000 people. So put that in to context. It may be very hard to grow a business to a point where it’s viable. Best of luck either way fella 

Absolute nonsense....

I'm just down the road from Cardigan in Fishguard. It does get windy round here but I still clean all year round, I do also have some holiday lets which I clean only in summer but I charge a bit extra for these to make up for the fact that I have less work in winter. I haven't put the magnetic signs on my van for 2+ years because I have a full round! For example just today I had two walk-ups.

As with anywhere in the UK, just get out there and canvass. Provide a good service, you'll get referrals and gradually you can build up a decent round (took me just over a year). You may not be able to charge quite as much as you do in Aylesbury but hosuing costs are cheaper here and also you won't need an RO!  Average of 65ppm where I live. Happy Days!

p.s. i should also add, people in north & west wales aren’t too tolerant of outsiders from what i’ve heard, especially english. They are trying to preserve the welsh language up there. Not speaking from a personal experience but i had a friend go up there (he’s also from south wales) and he said shopkeepers would refuse to speak to him in English (even though they do speak it) so that may be another thing to contend with, they may be much more inclined to use a local from the area who speaks welsh.

Get yourself enrolled on a Beginners Welsh course. Get your 'Your Windows Have Been Cleaned Today' slips translated into Welsh by a friendly neighbour (believe me, they will do it for free because you're taking an interest in their language). A 'Bore da' (Good morning) and 'Diolch' (Thankyou) will go a long way with your welsh speaking customers.

Whatever you do - don't support England in the rugby!

Latest Posts

Back