Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Public liability IOnsurance

Rowan

Just would like some pointers on where to get the best Window cleaning public Liability Insurance , only need 2 Million of cover.

All depends if you want cover for the window you are working on or not , if you do then gleaming are one of the few that will cover it ,if you don’t then most other companies will give you cover , i have 5 million cover and that costs me around £120 a year , that doesn’t include the window Ime working on , personaly I don’t think it’s worth being coverd for it as the excesses is around £250 so it’s cheaper to pay for glass replacements rather than claim anyway, unless you damage a large plate glass window cisting thousands I would just pay up and look big , lucky in 20 years only had to replace 2 windows due to cracking them with hot water 

ime insured with Alexander swan along with my van insurance and system and pole cover 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with Gleaming Insurance which costs me over £300 a year for £5 million of cover, this is something I have been reconsidering whether to switch to a cheaper insurer but I do clean some fairly expensive glazed conservatory roof units some of which must be over 2 meters in length of self-cleaning glass so I have held on as a safeguard to myself but most likely not needed as Gleaming is a one size fits all policy which is why it's more expensive and now only clean glass no add on's 

Cheers , gone with Gleaming , i've been with AXA too long ; they just keep hicking up the insurance year on year .

Not sure why i put a O in Insurance ?

I do clean some fairly expensive glazed conservatory roof units some of which must be over 2 meters in length of self-cleaning glass 

Thanks for bringing that up.. Does self cleaning glass actually benefit from window cleaning? Also are there any special precautions for cleaning it or can it just be done with the back pack, pure water, pole & brush?

Thanks

Thanks for bringing that up.. Does self cleaning glass actually benefit from window cleaning? Also are there any special precautions for cleaning it or can it just be done with the back pack, pure water, pole & brush?

Thanks

Self cleaning glass is a bit of a miss noma it still gets dirty and needs cleaning its a sales gimmick to get more money out of the customers pockets by the salesman , just clean it like a normal window but do be careful as you can damage the film by using harsh chemicals or very stiff brushes on it , if you are unsure do a small test panel as far out if sight as you can first before doing the whole roof , once you have a bit of experience doing them you won’t think twice about it , sometimes it takes more rinsing to get rid of dirt it tends to cling to the glass so just up your flow rate or rinse with the garden hose and finish off with pure 

I do one once every 4 weeks with the windows only a small one similar to the image below,  then two larger ones every 8 weeks, I make sure I pre-rinse each pane and they take around 3 times longer to do a final rinse even on these jobs. 

images.jpg

Self cleaning glass is a bit of a miss noma it still gets dirty and needs cleaning its a sales gimmick to get more money out of the customers pockets by the salesman , just clean it like a normal window but do be careful as you can damage the film by using harsh chemicals or very stiff brushes on it

When i bought my CLX27 i selected a medium brush. Will that be okay?

Thanks

Yes should be fine , just do a test bit first , we use stuff brushes and hot water so they are more like a medium 

I am with Gleaming Insurance which costs me over £300 a year for £5 million of cover, this is something I have been reconsidering whether to switch to a cheaper insurer but I do clean some fairly expensive glazed conservatory roof units some of which must be over 2 meters in length of self-cleaning glass so I have held on as a safeguard to myself but most likely not needed as Gleaming is a one size fits all policy which is why it's more expensive and now only clean glass no add on's 

I'm with Gleaming via Hiscox as a broker.

My cover is for £2 million. We have 2 cleans where large glass panes are present. Both customers were happy with that amount of cover. Both customers have experienced glass panels shattering, one over night and the other during a school day. In both cases we weren't involved but I often wondered what would have happened if that 1st glass panel had exploded (that's literally what happened) when we were cleaning it. It was told later that the installers had fitted the wrong glass to 4 of the 9 panels we clean as part of the clean. But if this had happened on 'our watch' would they have blamed us and claimed against our insurance? How would we know as we don't know one peice of glass from another when it comes to building construction regs. If that glass had shattered on top of our heads, would we be alive today?

Hiscox takes a £19 broker fee and Insurance premium tax went up to 12% recently. I have a £150 excess. The cost of insurance for both my son and myself was £170 + totalling £210.

When we had son in law on that policy as well, removing him when he left window cleaning didn't change the renewal costs at all.

I'm with gleaming with 2 million cover also

I need that as minimum to satisfy my commercial customers

Gleaming also covers for pressure washing (including softwashing which is great for me) and lots of other services up to 25 metres high as standard on my policy for around £19 a month

Happy to pay that for peace of mind

Public Liability insurance to a point ain't worth the paper it's written unless it covers damage to the item been cleaned if you damage a glazed unit worth over the 2k and your insurance does not cover this then you are on your own, and yes it's also very important to be covered for all the other things but I think you also need cover for damage which most insurance policies do not cover 

It's really important to read the excesses and endorsements on your policy to know exactly what's covered. We have a range of insurers on our panel that all offer different things. Really depends on what you're looking for. If anyone needs any help – I'd be happy to help. Cheers ?

It's really important to read the excesses and endorsements on your policy to know exactly what's covered. We have a range of insurers on our panel that all offer different things. Really depends on what you're looking for. If anyone needs any help – I'd be happy to help. Cheers ?
This isn't aimed at you as we've never dealt, I was "insured" for the first 5 years without realising I wasn't covered for windows being worked on. I asked to be insured to clean windows and was sold a policy that meant I was basically insured for everything bar window cleaning. Now I know you said you should read your policy but as my request was very basic, insurance to clean windows, I didn't check small print. The get out clause, "you should always read the policy" is a cop out and in my opinion any insurance company that sells a policy that doesn't insure the glass you're working on, should be charged with miss selling a financial product.

Can you imagine selling a carpet cleaner insurance that didn't cover them for cleaning the carpet they were working on.

This isn't aimed at you as we've never dealt, I was "insured" for the first 5 years without realising I wasn't covered for windows being worked on. I asked to be insured to clean windows and was sold a policy that meant I was basically insured for everything bar window cleaning. Now I know you said you should read your policy but as my request was very basic, insurance to clean windows, I didn't check small print. The get out clause, "you should always read the policy" is a cop out and in my opinion any insurance company that sells a policy that doesn't insure the glass you're working on, should be charged with miss selling a financial product.

Can you imagine selling a carpet cleaner insurance that didn't cover them for cleaning the carpet they were working on.
We completely understand @Part Timer , unfortunately sometimes insurance companies don't make it clear what's covered – it's really frustrating and can be really costly for the tradesman. Thanks for replying, we find it really helpful in learning about your pain points and how to make things clearer so when you buy an insurance policy you know exactly what you're paying for. Thanks again. 

We completely understand @Part Timer , unfortunately sometimes insurance companies don't make it clear what's covered – it's really frustrating and can be really costly for the tradesman. Thanks for replying, we find it really helpful in learning about your pain points and how to make things clearer so when you buy an insurance policy you know exactly what you're paying for. Thanks again. 
That is why I said it's a cop out, I asked for insurance to clean windows and was sold a policy that didn't cover me to clean windows. It did however cover me if my ladders, not that I use them, fell against a wall and knocked it down, but if the very same ladders fell and smashed a window In a building I was cleaning I wasn't covered.

would be interesting to know how many have never made a claim on their window cleaning insurance. It feels like such a con when someone pays into the pot all their life, yet when they need to take a bit out of it, they cant. Its like vehicle insurance, Ive paid all my life, many thousands over the years and never, touch wood, needed to make a claim. Its bad really, as I can see how someone who feels cheated by the system, would then try and cheat the system back, thereby possibly leading to big losses for other parties. Its like the big banker/mp type crooks though. They can cheat, but joe public will feel the full weight of the law. ☠️

I'm gonna be flat out honest here...I don't have PLI. I have been cleaning windows for 5 years now, 1 year WFP. I did have PLI for the first 2 years but after that I simply didn't bother. I am 100% domestic and my biggest fear is not smashing glass or damage per say, it's always the fear of someone tripping over my hose and potentially suing me. Does PLI cover for this? 

I'm gonna be flat out honest here...I don't have PLI. I have been cleaning windows for 5 years now, 1 year WFP. I did have PLI for the first 2 years but after that I simply didn't bother. I am 100% domestic and my biggest fear is not smashing glass or damage per say, it's always the fear of someone tripping over my hose and potentially suing me. Does PLI cover for this? 
Yes, if you're not worried about the things you said you should get £1m cover for around £70, 2-3 hours work for a years peace of mind. That would be my next phone call if I were you.

Back