Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pole Hose Replace frustrations!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bart90

Had a leak from my pole hose.  Managed to get by using some insulation tape.  Find the whole process of getting the old o clamps off and new hose in really frustrating.  I'm sure I'm not doing everything right!  First off the gooseneck is completely wedged in the top section of the pole which doesn't help matters.

What's the best way to get old clamps off?

My current set up is:-  Backpack & Female EZ - Male EZ - O-clamp - Pole hose - O clamp - Univalve - Red conncector/barb - JG connection- Orange 'gooseneck' hose - o clamp (to stop the univalve action pulling on the JG) - Jets.  

Is everything in that set up needed?  For example, is the orange hose at the gooseneck needed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regarding taking the double ear hose clamps off, I usually take two pliers (we call them nail pliers here, don't know the proper name), hold them really tight and twist them opposite directions. The clamp should shear and come right off.

Edit: be careful when you do this in the univalve though, as too much tension can break the plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually use a small dremmel type tool with cutting wheel especially when the 'o' clamp is holding the hose to a plastic barb ie; as is found on the Univalve or JG hosetails. You will find however, that if you use PU pole hose you shouldn't need the 'O' clamps to hold the hose to the Univalve or JG hosetails. I haven't used them for a long time. You will need them to hold the hose to metal fittings however.

When getting PU hose off the barbs after I cut the 'O' clamps off, I usually carefully cut along the hose with a craft knife in the direction of the barb until it's almost cut through and then the hose usually comes off fairly easily. You will have to cut that piece of the hose off though before refitting.

I've already broken one univalve lol. I need a better pole hose than my current batch which is just the standard yellow pvc hose that gardiner sell.  Was thinking of using their reinforced one as i think they may have stopped selling the green PU hose but i could be wrong.  Is there much difference in weight using the PU hose of the standard stuff?

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard all season pvc hose is prone to much quicker wear and tear than PU pole hose. I was changing mine every few months till I switched to PU. 

Latest Posts

Back