Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

sediment filter life span

WCF

Help Support WCF:

trevor peacock

I've got a 450gpd ro system.

A post a while ago suggested fibredyne filters were the way ahead, instead of the three seperates I'd been using.  Someone suggested as my water is 330ppm having a sediment filter before the fibredyne.

The fibredyne lasts for 37,500 lts where as the sediment is only supposed to last for 10,000 lts.

I changed my sediment after 18,500 and it still looks good, shouldn't it look dirty?

I've attached a photo, the dirty one is on the left. There's a slight colour change but not much, opinions please.

2019-03-19 11.31.49.jpg

That sediment filter is totally fine they can go on for a lot longer, providing there is no trace of sediment as in a gritty feel to the touch then totally fine. 

This filter had approx 4500litres through it - as long as the core is still white it’s still doing its job, only ‘issue’ is the water flow through the filter will be slightly restricted as the pores will be clogged. If you don’t have clear housings they are well worth the change as it’s something to keep an eye on. On the other hand - for the £2 or whatever they cost just change it for piece of mind

411955F7-FC72-4B0C-BF62-2CE77D8DBD37.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a box of 12 off eBay and like you say they are cheap.

I change it every month regardless of how it looks, however it's usually orange due to the amounts of sand in the water where I am. 

This is how they are after 4 weeks , due to the amount of sand in the water in Staffordshire. 

View attachment 16161

Ours is similar. In fact we went through a stage where I was replacing sediment filters once a month because they were clogging up so much. One of the local lads called me in to help as his r/o has stopped working completely. He hadn't changed his prefilters in 3 months.

Back