Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What would you charge for this ???

Pjj

Premium Member
Victorian orangery clean inside and out it’s wooden and very green with algy , what would you all charge and how long do you think it would take . 

36C20424-8B22-450A-999F-DFEBDE06CAAE.jpeg

091B94D3-AB3E-44D3-9139-74697C740FD3.jpeg

1339F560-C56C-4559-8C8F-A7A555F9035D.jpeg

interested in people's replies to this.

gotta be a full day work inside and out. 

£300 

then again the devil in me says that is one big expensive house they have there.

maybe £450 

then again just noticed how awkward the arched roof looks. that would be a pita to clean from the inside. 

What are you charging? 

Last edited by a moderator:
To do outside, using hot water and TFR, I'd say half a day, however if the frames are very badly oxidised then I'd want longer as the oxide comes off and takes a lot of rinsing. No experience whatsoever with inside something like that but would want a day rate, so one and a half days for one man. As our day rates are some what different I'll keep my price to me. 

To do outside, using hot water and TFR, I'd say half a day, however if the frames are very badly oxidised then I'd want longer as the oxide comes off and takes a lot of rinsing. No experience whatsoever with inside something like that but would want a day rate, so one and a half days for one man. As our day rates are some what different I'll keep my price to me. 

I was thinking the insides will take a couple couple of days it’s filthy , and will need scaffold towers , the outside is bad very green with algy ,moss and red algy which they want removing , I did a test patch for them and it came up very well killed and removed the algy and licken , they are currently getting several quotes , so far the others have refused to do the insides and cannot remove the red algy ??? lol she wouldn’t let on what they quoted but I suspect Ime a lot dearer , but the place is worth over 5 million , will have to wait and see what happens 

buy the way it’s a wooden conservatory with some aluminium jointing strips on the main roof timbers , it is sprayed paint on the wood and under the dirt it’s very good condition 

In a  hypothetical scenario of ‘I had to charge’ gun to my head and all that, I work on a £30 per hour rate, so maybe £150 for the outside (5 hours?) then obviously if I did have scaffolding, I’d alllow a whole 8hr day for the inside £230/£240ish. So £350-£400 total. 

But I know full well it’ll end up taking a lot longer than I planned. Probably a long hard 2 full days. I’d beg one of my friends to help me. 

Conservatory pricing are the only quotes I still often don’t get quite right. 

Why do they want it cleaned?

Are they selling?

You'll want quite a lot of chemical for the outside and 'up close and personal for the inside'.

Yep rent some scaffold or podiums.

Good access though!

It will interfere with your normal run of work. 

I think this is one of those jobs that will just suck up time.

I would want 4 days, plus chemicals and extras. I think the glass is easy, it's the frames that will be the problem.

PS. Do they have an outside tap....

Oh hang on...

PJJ, mate you have missed your chance...

In the second pic, there's already a window cleaning van there!

Much cheaper option than scaff would be a karcher vac with extension. From a step ladder you would be able to safely reach the bulk of that. The battery won't last the entire job so you'd have to plan to do some of the outside and recharge it and swap between the two.

I would have to agree with @RWCleaning though, not for me that job!

I did one last year like that, not as big, but still a property on the market for a million.  Only did the external. Was able to do half standing on a flat roof next to the orangery..

You will probably find a lot of wood has rotted as you clean it. It probably needs painting and repairing.

Handy to have very big step ladders for that. 

I would price that very high because it will be hard work... The top section looks a right pita to sort out.

I think I would be £450 at least on the outside. After doing the one I did last year I would be hoping someone else got this job..

Yup i’m with padster & RW. I think it’s more the case of who wants the job not what the price should be ? 

Lol you wimp ??? I have put in a price and we will see what happens , I don’t mind if we get it or not to be honest , I did a couple of test areas that they were impressed with how it came up , if we get the job it’s the insides that Ime not looking forward to ???

Why do they want it cleaned?

Are they selling?

You'll want quite a lot of chemical for the outside and 'up close and personal for the inside'.

Yep rent some scaffold or podiums.

Good access though!

It will interfere with your normal run of work. 

I think this is one of those jobs that will just suck up time.

I would want 4 days, plus chemicals and extras. I think the glass is easy, it's the frames that will be the problem.

PS. Do they have an outside tap....

Oh hang on...

PJJ, mate you have missed your chance...

In the second pic, there's already a window cleaning van there!

Its a wedding venue and they want it doing before the end of the month as they have an open day to promote there buisness and it’s not a good advert ,it’s part of a large estate .

chemical wise it will take roughly 35 ltr of my secret ingredient ??

i have allowed 3 days in total to do the job if we get it hopefully won’t over run but it’s got to be 100% right and all those bottom windows open as do the top ones and all the frames have to be cleaned where they close 

it will be difficult to do all our regular work that week unless I can do some of it the  week before and some the following week but I have priced it very well so if we do get it it’s worth the hassle, the outside tap is right by the conservatory but pressure isn’t great 

no idear who the bodgers  in that window cleaning van might be ????

hears a couple of pictures of the insides not a straight forward job 

4EEA954B-D66F-4AD7-9EE4-41EEBA22A7A4.jpeg

DC7E0548-47E5-481E-834B-1C162CAD0CDC.jpeg

E4D57E35-FF14-4BA4-838C-D0E457C624BE.jpeg

The one I did last year, had supposedly been repainted not that long ago. But when I was up there working on it I could see the painter had missed loads of bits and had not replaced the rot. It wasnt even that old. I just took pictures of it, showed the owner. It turned out they were suing the painter for a botched job. Painting a conny like this you need the correct ladders most painters probably won't have them due to price.

The one I did last year, had supposedly been repainted not that long ago. But when I was up there working on it I could see the painter had missed loads of bits and had not replaced the rot. It wasnt even that old. I just took pictures of it, showed the owner. It turned out they were suing the painter for a botched job. Painting a conny like this you need the correct ladders most painters probably won't have them due to price.

The wood work is in very good condition no rot anywhere it has been sprayed and when you clean a section it comes up like new , there is a lot of red algy on it that needs removing all the others who have quoted so far have been unable to remove it , we did it very easily but we do a lot like this just not as big and generaly not the insides either , stupidly I did t take pictures of the areas we cleaned , but if we get the job I think some pictures of this on the web site would be good 

Ah come on @Pjj you can’t ask what we would charge then not give us a hint of your price. It’s noy like we’re jealous of the job haha. Is it a 4 digit number? 

Re-Reading your post it sounds like it is. I reckon you’ve gone with £1200. I’ll say no more.... (walking away whistling with my hands in my pockets) ?

2 days work for 1 person or a hard 1 days for £2 people

price obviously depends on day rate

I would charge 1.5 x full day rate, the internal can be done from big steps, vacuum first

I just seen this. I would have gone in at £1200 allowing 2 full days with an expectation of running into a third day. 

I allowed two days for the insides , and one for outside + scaffold tower hire it was minging in and out , didn’t get the job and to the best of my knowledge it still hasn’t been done , don’t think they want to pay , it’s a large country Manor House  worth many many millions ,but as usual expect you to pay them for the privalage of working on it ???

Back