Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

new tiger stripes tfr

WCF

Help Support WCF:

simon

just ordered david kemps new tfr which is supposed to get rid of the old tiger stripes without getting the ladders out, he's posting it today if it comes on saturday i've a fsg job on sunday  too try it out on and report 

Some tiger stripes won't come out even with a magic sponge ☹️. I doubt very much some chemical and WFP will shift them, but I'm interested to see.

Some tiger stripes won't come out even with a magic sponge ☹️. I doubt very much some chemical and WFP will shift them, but I'm interested to see.
Word, even the pink stuff & unger rub out dont do it. I swear the plastic on fascias & gutters is a totally different grade to window frames & sills. Greys can be removed from window fixtures if you put the effort in, but try doing the same up tops and its a different story. This is why im careful with how i word my quotes,

i generally write 

“clean” windows & sills or “restore” windows and sills.

whenever the fsg part comes i put

”wash” gutters, fascias & soffits

that way if there’s any comeback asking why there are still tiger stripes i can say, well when you signed the quote form it does say “wash” not one customer has mentioned it ever but just in case...you always get the awkward ones ?

I remember quoting a bungalow a year or two ago, it was clean ish but riddled with tiger stripes. i did explain them “there is absolutely nothing i can do for that, youd be better off replacing them” and they agreed straight away after i did a test patch proving to them that my magic sponge and unger rub out wouldn’t shift any of it

Last edited by a moderator:
We have tried a number of things on tiger stripes , some will come off and some won’t ,did a gfs clean today with tiger stripes tried virosol,cream cleaner , to no effect , then sprayed it with a hypo mix and it didn’t remove it compleatly but was 95% improvement and turned the white plastic from a grey look back to brilliantvwhite with some tiger stripes still visible but the customer was happy 

We have tried a number of things on tiger stripes , some will come off and some won’t ,did a gfs clean today with tiger stripes tried virosol,cream cleaner , to no effect , then sprayed it with a hypo mix and it didn’t remove it compleatly but was 95% improvement and turned the white plastic from a grey look back to brilliantvwhite with some tiger stripes still visible but the customer was happy 
What i’ve gotta ask fella is, is hypo really as damaging to metal fixtures as people say it is? I’ve heard horror stories about lead, so i do wonder in terms of aluminium framed windows and porch lead roofs, outside lights etc etc. I’ll watch softwashing videos on youtube and clearly no care is taken to cover these fixtures, they all just seem to crack on, nobody seems to be wearing all of the correct ppe either. One of them was even hypo-ing UPVC windows & surrounds and the one window wasnt even fully closed! 

Im not a know it all at all but these are big companies doing this, i surely expected more precautions to be taken. 

Am i making more of a meal out of it than is necessary or are they just chancing it? Because thats what it looks like. 

When you softwash do you tape up or cover all metals? I’m eager to know as i think fear is my biggest setback sometimes.

did a patio softwash the other day excellent results but still not keen to jump further

What i’ve gotta ask fella is, is hypo really as damaging to metal fixtures as people say it is? I’ve heard horror stories about lead, so i do wonder in terms of aluminium framed windows and porch lead roofs, outside lights etc etc. I’ll watch softwashing videos on youtube and clearly no care is taken to cover these fixtures, they all just seem to crack on, nobody seems to be wearing all of the correct ppe either. One of them was even hypo-ing UPVC windows & surrounds and the one window wasnt even fully closed! 

Im not a know it all at all but these are big companies doing this, i surely expected more precautions to be taken. 

Am i making more of a meal out of it than is necessary or are they just chancing it? Because thats what it looks like. 

When you softwash do you tape up or cover all metals? I’m eager to know as i think fear is my biggest setback sometimes.

did a patio softwash the other day excellent results but still not keen to jump further

Hypo will turn lead brown if you don’t wet it down with water first and then re apply water to the lead whilst spraying the hypo if you do this it will be fine 

hypo can turn white plastic yellow but itvwill return to white with in a couple of hours , you don’t need a strong mix using 10-15% strength hypo dilute it 1 part hypo to 5 parts water .

we have used it for over 10 years without any ill effects 

if there are electrical or other delicate things these should be masked up first or sprayed around avoiding contact with the hypo 

hypo is a corrosive substance as the mdsa sheets will show , but diluted tk the correct level for the item being cleaned it’s fine and safe , water companies put it drinking water  it’s in swimming pools ,supermarkets wash all there cut up salad pre packs in a hypo solution before bagging it up ,so like all things it’s safe if used correctly for the application . 

We have used it on aluminium windows and huge aluminium factory clad buildings to very good effect without any damage at all , but and it’s a big but you do need to know what you are doing with it if in any doubt get advice ,or don’t use it just in case , also be careful what you watch on YouTube and other internet sites there is a lot of false info out there . 

Ppe is also very important .if spraying use a droplet spray not an atomising spray this will greatly reduce drift and overspray , or apply it through WFP Brush and pencil jets . 

Door locks ,bells ,alarm system boxes , etc should all be coverd up or avoided with practice this isn’t difficult, hypo like all other chemicals has its place in the cleaning industry but isn’t the cure all for all applications, I know this is a very controversial subject with many people usually ones that don’t understand what it can do what it cannot do and how it should be used , Ime not trying to promote or encourage ones to use it just saying where it can help us with our everyday work and make life a lot easier 

one last very important point always rinse thoroughly with copious amounts of water after using , Evan if you have used a nuetralising agent .

Hypo will turn lead brown if you don’t wet it down with water first and then re apply water to the lead whilst spraying the hypo if you do this it will be fine 

hypo can turn white plastic yellow but itvwill return to white with in a couple of hours , you don’t need a strong mix using 10-15% strength hypo dilute it 1 part hypo to 5 parts water .

if there are electrical or other delicate things these should be masked up first or sprayed around avoiding contact with the hypo 

hypo is a corrosive substance as the mdsa sheets will show , but diluted tk the correct level for the item being cleaned it’s fine and safe , water companies put it drinking water  it’s in swimming pools ,supermarkets wash all there cut up salad pre packs in a hypo solution before bagging it up ,so like all things it’s safe if used correctly for the application . 

We have used it on aluminium windows and huge aluminium factory clad buildings to very good effect without any damage at all , but and it’s a big but you do need to know what you are doing with it if in any doubt get advice ,or don’t use it just in case , also be careful what you watch on YouTube and other internet sites there is a lot of false info out there . 

Ppe is also very important .if spraying use a droplet spray not an atomising spray this will greatly reduce drift and overspray , or apply it through WFP Brush and pencil jets . 

Door locks ,bells ,alarm system boxes , etc should all be coverd up or avoided with practice this isn’t difficult, hypo like all other chemicals has its place in the cleaning industry but isn’t the cure all for all applications, I know this is a very controversial subject with many people usually ones that don’t understand what it can do what it cannot do and how it should be used , Ime not trying to promote or encourage ones to use it just saying where it can help us with our everyday work and make life a lot easier 

one last very important point always rinse thoroughly with copious amounts of water after using , Evan if you have used a nuetralising agent .
I hear you ? i don’t think i could offer it as a practical solution for an FSG clean alone though. We’d have to offer a whole house softwash really i guess, as the run off would create “clean”stains just about everywhere below. 

I hear you ? i don’t think i could offer it as a practical solution for an FSG clean alone though. We’d have to offer a whole house softwash really i guess, as the run off would create “clean”stains just about everywhere below. 
  That’s a good idear sell a whole house clean we do that a lot , but if you wet the house down well and keep wetting it when applying hypo to the gutters it won’t affect the house walls this is why experience and training is important knowing how to use a product properly 

Wow didn’t know some of that @Pjj

thanks. 

Yeah ? i dont think constantly wetting walls down would be cost a effective or economical solution for us just for the sake of an fsg. Its a massive waste of water for the custy + realistically id probably need a second man behind me rinsing so it creates 2 if not 3 x the labour effort i imagine. Then yoube got the problem of hot weather and everything drying out too quick.

What i notice about companies selling softwash chemicals is that they all state on their sites “the only approved such & such by the uk gov” or whatever

makes me wonder who’s telling porky pies you know. Ah well. Again it’s giving myself me a headache i don’t need to be putting myself through right now. 

Thanks for your insight PJJ its always so good to hear your wealth of knowledge ?

Yeah ? i dont think constantly wetting walls down would be cost a effective or economical solution for us just for the sake of an fsg. Its a massive waste of water for the custy + realistically id probably need a second man behind me rinsing so it creates 2 if not 3 x the labour effort i imagine. Then yoube got the problem of hot weather and everything drying out too quick.

What i notice about companies selling softwash chemicals is that they all state on their sites “the only approved such & such by the uk gov” or whatever

makes me wonder who’s telling porky pies you know. Ah well. Again it’s giving myself me a headache i don’t need to be putting myself through right now. 

Thanks for your insight PJJ its always so good to hear your wealth of knowledge ?

Yes to be fair it’s a lot easier with two people that’s the way we work , there are many chemicals out there that are very good on gfs cleans our first go to chemical is virosol , but if the plastic is badly stained a go over with hypo will improve it no end especially on cut joints on down pipes that are green and you generally cannot get it off , hypo will remove it compleatly. As I said Ime not encouraging anyone to use it , but just sharing our experience over many years how it can be helpful , and how to use it safely , but I understand it’s not for everyone ??

You really do seem a expert on your field. Would love to be able to watch you guys work one day @Pjj

Why don’t you make a video or YouTube channel?

Lol I wouldn’t say that but we try and and reaserch the subject and get training where needed so we can do the job safely and efficiently. Unfortunately Ime a bit of a technifobe wouldn’t have a clue how to edit and post a video on YouTube, you are very welcome any time to come out with us on any type of job you are intrested in seeing done just pm me if there is anything we might be able to help with , I have had two guys off this forum come out with us to learn how to make their working day more efficient and learn route planning , one guy couldn’t belive how many properties we clean a day ??? he was from your area in Bournemouth 

Lol I wouldn’t say that but we try and and reaserch the subject and get training where needed so we can do the job safely and efficiently. Unfortunately Ime a bit of a technifobe wouldn’t have a clue how to edit and post a video on YouTube, you are very welcome any time to come out with us on any type of job you are intrested in seeing done just pm me if there is anything we might be able to help with , I have had two guys off this forum come out with us to learn how to make their working day more efficient and learn route planning , one guy couldn’t belive how many properties we clean a day ??? he was from your area in Bournemouth 
Oh ok. Interesting, who was he? 

What area are you based in? Just out of interest.

Thanks for the offer, if you were 5 minutes down the road I probably would swing by on the next afternoon I had some time. Well if any of your lads are clued up with cameras & technology would be great to see. But sounds like you’re too busy earning coins ?

Oh ok. Interesting, who was he? 

What area are you based in? Just out of interest.

Thanks for the offer, if you were 5 minutes down the road I probably would swing by on the next afternoon I had some time. Well if any of your lads are clued up with cameras & technology would be great to see. But sounds like you’re too busy earning coins ?

Ill pm you 

used it this aft on a bungalow and pretty impressed bungalow wasn't that dirty but had a few tiger stripes which all came off and i seemed to scrub less than usual  i did take pics but buggered them up coz it was sunny      before this ive used virosol, halfords tfr, domestic thick bleach, screwfix all purpose degreaser and gunk  think this is the best but need a bad one to be sure eh 

Be careful using anything with caustic in it don't let it dry on the surface and be careful in hot weather and bright sunlight as it can and will cause permanent staining to white plastic been there and done that years ago , i turned a white plastic conservatory yellow it never did return to white , I suspect that this stuff is just normal tfr caustic that you can buy for car cleaning just rebranded and put in smaller packaging , it would be very intresting to see a copy of the ingredients and percentages of the product and compare it to the 25 ltr drums sold by auto factors I bet it’s the same . There was a guy on the other forum selling g101 claiming that it was his product by a different name all he was doing was buying g101 in bulk re packaging it and ripping people off be careful this isn’t the same type of thing , Ime not saying that it is but just be warned what has happened before 

Back