Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Still having pressure problems

Carts69

Ok.. this is an ongoing issue which I have posted recently, not every time but few times a day I’m losing water pressure to the brush head, when I activate the univalve to stop the water I’m not getting the pressure back when I tug the hose, when I return to the van, the pump is purging and flashing 30/P5, I then have to switch the pump off/on.. sometimes a few times to get it pumping again.

To try to rectify this I’ve recently fitted a one way valve, but this has made no difference & im still hearing the water spitting/spluttering  occasionally, can anyone advise what I can try next as this is doing my head in...especially when I’m a little way from the van 

& have to walk back and reset it?

Flat tank or upright my thoughts are you are getting air into the system somewhere, is this after driving from one set of jobs to another? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Flat tank or upright my thoughts are you are getting air into the system somewhere, is this after driving from one set of jobs to another? 
Upright tank, yes the problem is evident as soon as I switch the pump on for the first job, it takes 2/3 attempts to get the pump pumping, 

You need to disconnect the hose from the pump to your reel to blast out that initial airlock, I do this every morning after or during filling my tank, problem sorted. 

As above, but turn your controller right up so it will force out the air.

Then turn off the controller, re-connect the hose and you should be good to go.

Pub time ??

Have a good weekend fellow windies 

You need to disconnect the hose from the pump to your reel to blast out that initial airlock, I do this every morning after or during filling my tank, problem sorted. 
Sorry can you explain.. where is the air lock likely to be.. before the pump, where am I blasting the air lock from?

Sorry can you explain.. where is the air lock likely to be.. before the pump, where am I blasting the air lock from?
Yes I think they say airlock before pump, water leak after pump. I had a similar lot of trouble with my van set up. it would be fine for ages, then not. I believe there were several reasons for mine. I got a new leisure battery, as I certainly needed one. But, still had the problem of slow/spluttering flow etc. So next, fitted a non return valve after tank oulet and before pump. Also set the pump as low as possible, and reduced the length of hose from tank to pump. This has so far been good. I know, others have their pumps high up etc. But all these measures together seem to have got it sussed. Best of luck mate.

Actually just re read your post. I dont use the univalve, just a one shot, but hope the info may still be handy.

Yes I think they say airlock before pump, water leak after pump. I had a similar lot of trouble with my van set up. it would be fine for ages, then not. I believe there were several reasons for mine. I got a new leisure battery, as I certainly needed one. But, still had the problem of slow/spluttering flow etc. So next, fitted a non return valve after tank oulet and before pump. Also set the pump as low as possible, and reduced the length of hose from tank to pump. This has so far been good. I know, others have their pumps high up etc. But all these measures together seem to have got it sussed. Best of luck mate.

Actually just re read your post. I dont use the univalve, just a one shot, but hope the info may still be handy.
Thanks for that, I will tinker over the weekend & hopefully get this ongoing problem sorted once & for all, thanks for all replies ?

Ok..  update, today I removed hose from pump to reel & cranked up to 99, didn’t seem to be any air lock, what I am wondering now is.. could the split charge relay be causing this problem, after the engine is switched off the CHG (charge) symbol flashes for a long period, whilst this is flashing the pump is reluctant to pump & rarely fires up first time, it needs several attempts to get it pumping.

but when the van is left for a few hours & the control panel is not flashing CHG.. the pump acts normal, I’m convinced now it’s something to do with the SCR, I suppose it’s best I disconnect this charging function & see if it cures the problem.

Ok.. this is an ongoing issue which I have posted recently, not every time but few times a day I’m losing water pressure to the brush head, when I activate the univalve to stop the water I’m not getting the pressure back when I tug the hose, when I return to the van, the pump is purging and flashing 30/P5, I then have to switch the pump off/on.. sometimes a few times to get it pumping again.

To try to rectify this I’ve recently fitted a one way valve, but this has made no difference & im still hearing the water spitting/spluttering  occasionally, can anyone advise what I can try next as this is doing my head in...especially when I’m a little way from the van 

& have to walk back and reset it?
You say it's flashing P5 I think you will find it's PS for pressure switch. This is a safety thing built into the pump to cut it out if the pressure is getting too high. That's why you are getting flow problems the pump keeps cutting out. Sounds like you either have a faulty pressure switch or air in the system which is affecting the pressure. If I let my tank run out I get a guaranteed air lock in the hose that runs between the pump and reel. Only way I get it out is to disconnect it at the reel turn the water on and good it up as high as I can. Other place I find is in the inline strainer before the pump of you have one fitted? 

You say it's flashing P5 I think you will find it's PS for pressure switch. This is a safety thing built into the pump to cut it out if the pressure is getting too high. That's why you are getting flow problems the pump keeps cutting out. Sounds like you either have a faulty pressure switch or air in the system which is affecting the pressure. If I let my tank run out I get a guaranteed air lock in the hose that runs between the pump and reel. Only way I get it out is to disconnect it at the reel turn the water on and good it up as high as I can. Other place I find is in the inline strainer before the pump of you have one fitted? 
Thanks for that, I suppose it could be either, I’ve tried all the disconnects & cranking the pressure to 99, so how do I test for a faulty pressure switch & how easy are they to replace?

Another question.. why is the pump reluctant to start pumping on the first power up, I need to on/off it 3/4 times before it starts running, I’ve had this problem for some time now, it’s about time I find out why this keeps happening?

Another question.. why is the pump reluctant to start pumping on the first power up, I need to on/off it 3/4 times before it starts running, I’ve had this problem for some time now, it’s about time I find out why this keeps happening?
How old/much use has the battery had? Might be worth getting another, will be needed some time anyway and could be the culprit.

How old/much use has the battery had? Might be worth getting another, will be needed some time anyway and could be the culprit.
Battery is as new as the pump, purchased the same time which wasn’t too long ago, so I’m relatively happy the battery or the pump ain’t ancient 

What I can't understand is how you're getting to the back of the van and turning the water on and ready to clean while the 'chg' is still flashing, you must be Flash Gordon! Mine flashes 'chg' every time I stop. I get my pole out and before I'm ready to clean the 'chg' has stopped.

Could your problem be a loose electrical connection? 

What I can't understand is how you're getting to the back of the van and turning the water on and ready to clean while the 'chg' is still flashing, you must be Flash Gordon! Mine flashes 'chg' every time I stop. I get my pole out and before I'm ready to clean the 'chg' has stopped.

Could your problem be a loose electrical connection? 
The CHG flash goes on for around half hour after turning engine off, I’m aware this is not right but have not found an answer to this?

So definitely not Flash Gordon.

That’s one thing I haven’t done check the van battery charge, what should that be reading & when best to check it... when the pump is running or off?
A fully charged battery should read 12.6 volts. If it's 12v or less it's flat. When nothing is running that is. 

Back