Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

For those who worry about an abnormally high TDS

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Incheck

Hey guys, we’ve all been there i’m sure, resins given out, tds suddenly risen to 2-5, time to change that resin, panic stations “oh man will i have spotting etc?”

Well for those who have major concerns, i did a recent experiment. cleaned our back windows off the outside tap, long story short backpack & water was in the van parked halfway round the block due to the area being a nightmare to park, and couldnt be bothered going round to get it. used an old decomissioned wfp that was lying around in the garage for spares. Windows were getting there, probably cleaned last october...ish.

soft water area tds usually between 30 & 70, at present its around 55. 

There were no signs of spotting whatsoever, however what i did notice in the subsequent 2-3 days is that the windows got dirtier noticeably quicker than had i used pure. 

Then storm Gareth arrived

its two weeks on and they are still looking half reasonable now even after storm Gareth. 

This leads me to the suggestion that spotting must be (mainly) a result of poor or inexperienced technique, inadequate flow rate or improper rinsing, or simply that rubber seals or other fixtures are deteriorating/oxidising.

Now i am not at all advising people to take this as a hint to not change their resin, its just to put a few genuinely concerned minds at ease.

So, for those times where you get the un nervy feeling, i wouldnt panic initially and stop half way through the day just to be changing resin, youd probably be causing yourself unnecessary inconvenience & stress. 

If i can get a decent result off what i did (even if it doesn’t last) then a 2-5ppm would be a drop in the ocean i imagine. 

The question will always stand though...if your waters not pure...there’s never complete peace of mind. 

I’ve cleaned with 12ppm before (water provided to me by someone who harvested rain) not long after I started out. I was really nervous & skeptical. He said it’ll be fine just double rinse. He was absolutely right. 

But a whole ago when doing a big dirty gutter fascia, conservatory roof & window clean clean, I was running low so then decided to use the outside tap. I’m guessing the ppm was 200+ as all of Bournemouth is. I remember cleaning all the lower conservatory windows as all the frames were green etc. It was a hot sunny day last April. 

Long story short again, I went to go over all the glass with pure at the end of the day and there was barely a mark on the windows from tap water. I still went over them though quickly with pure.

Work that one out guys!

Hey guys, we’ve all been there i’m sure, resins given out, tds suddenly risen to 2-5, time to change that resin, panic stations “oh man will i have spotting etc?”

Well for those who have major concerns, i did a recent experiment. cleaned our back windows off the outside tap, long story short backpack & water was in the van parked halfway round the block due to the area being a nightmare to park, and couldnt be bothered going round to get it. used an old decomissioned wfp that was lying around in the garage for spares. Windows were getting there, probably cleaned last october...ish.

soft water area tds usually between 30 & 70, at present its around 55. 

There were no signs of spotting whatsoever, however what i did notice in the subsequent 2-3 days is that the windows got dirtier noticeably quicker than had i used pure. 

Then storm Gareth arrived

its two weeks on and they are still looking half reasonable now even after storm Gareth. 

This leads me to the suggestion that spotting must be (mainly) a result of poor or inexperienced technique, inadequate flow rate or improper rinsing, or simply that rubber seals or other fixtures are deteriorating/oxidising.

Now i am not at all advising people to take this as a hint to not change their resin, its just to put a few genuinely concerned minds at ease.

So, for those times where you get the un nervy feeling, i wouldnt panic initially and stop half way through the day just to be changing resin, youd probably be causing yourself unnecessary inconvenience & stress. 

If i can get a decent result off what i did (even if it doesn’t last) then a 2-5ppm would be a drop in the ocean i imagine. 

The question will always stand though...if your waters not pure...there’s never complete peace of mind. 
Yes I got this particular big shop front window and its the worst hydrophillic or whatever it is ever. Most of that style of glass cleans ok, but this one the water just dont seem to want to roll off the glass at all. Just sits there, really strange, and leaves marks. 

this "pure" water can be a bit of a myth if i'm honest, I think it stems from the early days of WFP where it had to be 000 ppm or it was contaminated as there was no real understanding of how far you could go back then.

the thing is, even at zero ppm its not pure when you consider ppb theres still contaminants in there,its just you just can't take a reading with the equipment we have.

I think the suppliers do play along with this 000 ppm thing as it keeps users from having issues and also keeps us buying resin which suits them quite nicely.

its good to see @Incheck that you are seeing past the point of this zero ppm thing  my tds in the tank at the moment is 23 and i'm quite happy with that,i have no problems with spotting on customers windows as I do check occaisionally when leaving a job, I know quite a few people who go further than this with no problems at all although there is a point where the tds will create a problem but you have to push to find that limit.

Gets worse than that in east anglia. In woodbridge, near ipswich its 530. I swear its why theres often strange goings on in these villages ⚗️ (Dunno what that is but seemed suitable)
Any flying saucers out there??

Yes I got this particular big shop front window and its the worst hydrophillic or whatever it is ever. Most of that style of glass cleans ok, but this one the water just dont seem to want to roll off the glass at all. Just sits there, really strange, and leaves marks. 
Hydrophobic mate. Its a mare i agree. 

this "pure" water can be a bit of a myth if i'm honest, I think it stems from the early days of WFP where it had to be 000 ppm or it was contaminated as there was no real understanding of how far you could go back then.

the thing is, even at zero ppm its not pure when you consider ppb theres still contaminants in there,its just you just can't take a reading with the equipment we have.

I think the suppliers do play along with this 000 ppm thing as it keeps users from having issues and also keeps us buying resin which suits them quite nicely.

its good to see @Incheck that you are seeing past the point of this zero ppm thing  my tds in the tank at the moment is 23 and i'm quite happy with that,i have no problems with spotting on customers windows as I do check occaisionally when leaving a job, I know quite a few people who go further than this with no problems at all although there is a point where the tds will create a problem but you have to push to find that limit.
It’s the 8th wonder of the world. Our van being the 9th. £650 service on monday, drove fine with no problems tuesday/wednesday. Thursday it starts making an unhily sound every time its been on the road longer than 10 mins. Youll hear nothing and then a faint, “whoop whoop” rubbing noise starts, then it gets faster and louder. Back to the garage today they checked all their work, drove it round the block, double checked pads discs bearings the lot, cant find a thing wrong with it. They say its a mystery but they're happy for me to take one of their guys up the carriageway with me on Monday to wait for the noise to start (as like i said it’s a good 10/15 mins of driving before you start hearing it at all)

They must think im going mad but its definitely noticeable. Im pretty confident its not gonna fall to bits but id rather get it sorted now as silly season is around the corner im already pooping myself thinking oh god its all gonna kick off & the vans never gonna leave the garage ?

Any flying saucers out there??

Hydrophobic mate. Its a mare i agree. 
Lol, funny enough ive been on that old airbase working today. Never seen any but a mate was in the woods with his girlfriend on a romantic night drive. Their dog started growling weird, like sensing something, then they reckon strange alien music/noise (their words) came out of the stereo. They got the hell out of there then. I think theres def something in it. When you here the american airmen  witness reports you just know it wasnt a lighthouse beam etc.

i'd suggest looking at the gearbox oil level first with what you have said said there mate, 
Funny enough it does sound as if something may not be correctly lubricated. Its very odd. Seems to become apparent once the engine has reached running temperature. Im pretty sure they would have checked the gearbox as i put it in for a full service, theyre a good reputable garage as literally everybody uses them, my friend has a building company with 6/7 vehicles regularly going in and out & he is fully confident with them ?

Im no vehicle mechanic myself, 2 strokes and pressure washers are about my limit when it comes to servicing ?

one of those bloomin things innit. Havent booked anything in for monday thank god and i have a fortnightly lawn mowing round due to start any day now so at least i can schedule that in for tuesday should the van be ready. Then back to the windows and pressure washing for a fortnight fingers crossed. March really has been my nemesis i’ve never had such an expensive/delay ridden month for a long time. As the saying goes, “onwards and upwards” right now for me its just “onwards” ? i’m sure our luck is gonna change soon though i’ve got a feeling ?

Last edited by a moderator:
that's why i'm thinking of the gearbx mate, it could be worth googling where to check the level as all gearboxes have a plug for an overflow/level kinda thing. most garages don't change or check gearbox oil levels if i'm honest-it doesn't leak so why bother?, I love 2 strokes and the smells they create

Hi @kevinc250This is an interesting topic. My water from RO is 12-14ppm. At the moment it is 2ppm from DI, I normally like to keep at 0ppm. I'm having no issues at this level.

Now my thoughts are can i get away with the water straight from RO? will need to test on my own windows i guess.

I don't know what your water is out of RO but if below 23ppm is your DI actually increasing PPM?

Is DI doing anything useful after RO if not achieving 000pm?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh, must admit the tds coming out of the di is at my own personal upper level and is due to be changed this weekend.

I once watched a clip/video by perry tait regarding this subject and he proposed sometimes a tds as high as 50 would work? I tried looking for the vid on youtube but got sidetracked as you do,

I think if I add to all this is, I also use hot water and addatives and have done for years with no problems ,i'll try and find that youtube vid unless someone beats me to it of course.

Back