Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

mot fail on emissions

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Not strictly wfp, but affects most of us. First time ive had a diesel vehicle, and first time ive failed mot partly because of excessive smoke. Dont know for sure what it is as it says on the mot emissions not tested (excessive smoke) Its an old ford connect but only done 103k. have asked a mechanic and he says the only place to check what it is locally is this company in Ipswich Diesco. What ive heard, this can be a problem with diesel vans, stopping and starting a lot, not getting thrashed. I phoned them and they said give it a good thrash up motorway, then see them to see if anything serious. Its an old van, and apparently some welding needed too, and exhaust gas and 4 chips on windscreen ( my insurance you have to pay £70 odd for these) So if it was jets or something I'd be inclined top scrap and get another cheapy. Just wonder anyones experience with these emissions/diesels or jets etc. 

Cheers all

kev.

Not strictly wfp, but affects most of us. First time ive had a diesel vehicle, and first time ive failed mot partly because of excessive smoke. Dont know for sure what it is as it says on the mot emissions not tested (excessive smoke) Its an old ford connect but only done 103k. have asked a mechanic and he says the only place to check what it is locally is this company in Ipswich Diesco. What ive heard, this can be a problem with diesel vans, stopping and starting a lot, not getting thrashed. I phoned them and they said give it a good thrash up motorway, then see them to see if anything serious. Its an old van, and apparently some welding needed too, and exhaust gas and 4 chips on windscreen ( my insurance you have to pay £70 odd for these) So if it was jets or something I'd be inclined top scrap and get another cheapy. Just wonder anyones experience with these emissions/diesels or jets etc. 

Cheers all

kev.
Ours fails MOT every time on emissions fella. They say the same. Give it a good run on the motorway. They clean out the diesel particulate filter, one or two other things, & test it until it passes ?‍♂️

Diesels arent meant to be stop starting and short journeys like you say, theyre meant to be good for long distance trips as the fuel economy is better than petrol in a long distance scenario. 

When we first bought it, it started violently leap frogging down the street and emitting blue smoke. It was very unnerving. Of course i took it to the garage panicking like mad, of course when they decided to test drive it, it behaved, and its never done it again since. Straaaaange.

Funny this topic has cropped up. I had a warning light turn on the other day on the VW T5, was to do with the catalytic converter needing attention. Did a little online digging and grabbed a bottle of cataclean from Halfords (£16), added that to my low level of fuel and gave it a good run for 15 mins in low gears. Light went off virtually straight away so I'm guessing it's clean once more.

seems to be a common problem with diesel vans in general these warning lights and mot fails on emissions.

give it a good run @ks789 like Solar has said above, if that doesn't sort it get a bottle of that cataclean 

I brought a diesel thought it would be cheaper to run but due to a lot of stop start have to give it a good 20 min run every week or dpf light comes on . Had light come on and didn't take it for a hard run engine management light came on cost me £65 for a re-gen at main dealers .

I brought a diesel thought it would be cheaper to run but due to a lot of stop start have to give it a good 20 min run every week or dpf light comes on . Had light come on and didn't take it for a hard run engine management light came on cost me £65 for a re-gen at main dealers .
yes thats the trouble, lot of little journeys and not a lot of motorway/fast driving. Think one day in future go for electric van.

If I wanted to drive electric would have been a milkman
yeh lol, but i think wont be much choice down the line. they're already gonna do away with diesel, petrol will be next. I dunno, some of those electrics get a good write up. probably end up ripping us off though. More road tolls or mileage tax I reckon.

Back