Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do all new houses have water meters?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

All new build properties since 1995 are on a water meter.

Older Properties that have requested a water meter to be fitted will always be on one, a new owner can't ask for it to be removed.

When house buying, it usually one of the first questions I ask. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sucks! I have a back up plan but i've heard horror stories about the bills people get on water meters!
I have been on a water meter before and to be fair wasn't too bad.

All depends on your water usage and waste to pure ratio.

I currently use about 1500 LTRs pure per week but I'm not on a meter, I'm moving house in 6 weeks, again not on a meter.

I have been on a water meter before and to be fair wasn't too bad.

All depends on your water usage and waste to pure ratio.

I currently use about 1500 LTRs pure per week but I'm not on a meter, I'm moving house in 6 weeks, again not on a meter.
Up and down for me at the moment, some weeks 1k would do it, on the busy weeks 2.5k. I would go for a booster if required and set it 55/45 if I was on a meter. Would probably flush it a little less too.

I know @Pjj has a separate meter fitted to measure the RO so he isn't charged the full whack. Still not ideal though!

Up and down for me at the moment, some weeks 1k would do it, on the busy weeks 2.5k. I would go for a booster if required and set it 55/45 if I was on a meter. Would probably flush it a little less too.

I know @Pjj has a separate meter fitted to measure the RO so he isn't charged the full whack. Still not ideal though!

Yes i I have a sub meter for water outside the house I just pay  for the water and no sewerage charge , water bill is still 1k per quarter though , we use on avarage between 5-8 thousand ltr of purified water per week produced from home and other commercial jobs we fill up on site thus saving a bit of money with the customers concent of course 

Yes i I have a sub meter for water outside the house I just pay  for the water and no sewerage charge , water bill is still 1k per quarter though , we use on avarage between 5-8 thousand ltr of purified water per week produced from home and other commercial jobs we fill up on site thus saving a bit of money with the customers concent of course 
I have a back up plan. I could potentially use my wife's gran's garage. Currently I'll be moving slightly out of the main area I work where as she will still live in it so perhaps get myself a car and leave the van there ? A long way to go yet mind.

You may be better off investing in a number of rainwater harvesters & pumping the water from there. Anything to help reduce the water &

resin bill i’m thinking. 

Obviously there’s still the problem of drought in the summer but at least you’re sorted for half the year. 

Lidls were doing 200 ltr water butts for 29.99 last week i think

Yeh if I was on a metre I’d definitely set up a rain harvest tank as well. My mate collects rain water from just the back of his & neighbours rear terrace roofs.

Gives him approximately a third of his water. He has a 2,500L baffled tank (it’s ginormous) 

Water meter isn’t that big deal, I’m on a water meter TDS is 280ppm, and I run a 50/50 return on the ro which brings it down to around 10ppm. I think it works out at 1.5p per litre including resin without reclaiming from the waste water.

Rain water might be ok but not when using 1200  ltr per day + waist , also there is still algi particulars in the water  that arnt removes by filtration , I personally wouldn’t want to use it , I would be worried about it leaving marks . 

We was made to have a water meter a couple of years back. They kept knocking and calling us until eventually we had to let them in as they needed access. I think eventually everyone will be on a water meter; that seems to be the way things are going. So I can see that new builds are probably fitted with meters as standard?

I use a fair bit of water and my bill is now £107 per month. But compared to the money it makes me I can accept that.

I work 5 days a week and fill my 350 litre tank in van daily. My ro is a 4021 with a mains pressure of around 60psi water in is around 170ppm and before di 4/5 ppm. I run the ro at 50/50 and my monthly water bill is £92 this is including household use me & my girlfriend. I have a inline water meter before the ro and take monthly readings and the accountant works out what is deductible for water costs. So really for the profit I make the cost of producing the water is nothing to worry about. 

I also wonder if flushing the ro everyday is really necessary ? Possibly if your in a high tds area ? 

I'm sure I remember @Spruce saying he didn't flush his 40/40 that much and that's still going strong after 6 years.. I could be wrong tho. I flush my ro for 10 minutes every 2 weeks and after 2 years of use is fine  

im on a meter and claim £30 a month for the water i use for window cleaning so around £360 a year......its hardly gonna break the bank...im DI only though.....tap tds is 028.....i use around 1800-2000L  a week most weeks of the year.....

Back