Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Paint spots on glass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It's the painters job to clean up after himself. Tell the owners you will clean the windows but not scrap the paint off. To do that is a higher price and a signed scratch waver.

Personaly I would use a scraper , but a good solvent will remove it or cellulose thinners then give it a good going over with a mop and soap then wfp it off , price wise up to you but guessing £10 per pain it’s suprising how quickly you can do a job like that .

I don’t mind removing the odd bit here and there as it only takes a few seconds but if they are covered as you say then you need to speak with the client about charging extra to remove it. If they dont want to pay then I’ll tell them to get the painter back in as it’s not covered in a general maintenance clean and will take too long to remove for free. Bet they wouldn’t work for free would they??

I am with @spruce I don't clean up after other tradesmen 
We had experience of this when we were newbie window cleaners. The painter told the owner that the paint spots need to dry on the glass to make removal easier. She asked if he was going to come back when the paint spots are dry.

He asked if she had a window cleaner. Yes. So get him to remove them; it's his job. Window cleaners love cleaning windows 

When we refused she kicked off at us. Happy to have lost that customer.

Painters leave a terrible mess that way , I wouldn’t be able to sleep in my bed at night if I was a painter and knowingly had paint spots all over their windows 

What I don't get these days is why don't painters and lads who do rendering cover the windows up with plastic sheeting a guy I know who runs his own business covers all windows and doors when painting the outside of a house and just the other week a new client had the house rendered and the guy had got render on the brand new windows which will have cost £1,000's  

What I don't get these days is why don't painters and lads who do rendering cover the windows up with plastic sheeting a guy I know who runs his own business covers all windows and doors when painting the outside of a house and just the other week a new client had the house rendered and the guy had got render on the brand new windows which will have cost £1,000's  
Probably cost mate. Time, hassle & money that hasn’t been allocated for in the quote. Unfortunately the online world & rise of self employment has de-valued a lot of trade work. There are ten times as many plumbers, builders, handymen etc as there were ten years ago (because mass employment for the non highly qualified is a thing of the past) so many jobs are being lost to automation. It used to be the yellow pages and recommendation and thats just about all you had, but People can get hold of so many businesses at the click of a finger now to find the cheapest quote.

the other day someone wanted a plumber to fix a leaking an outside tap, about 6 plumbers responded in no time ? first guy quoted £50, in the end joe bloggs ended up doing it for next to nothing. (Whether he is genuine & has insurance i dont know)

As a general rule of thumb people dont have as much pride in their work these days either. We had an old school painter in his 60’s paint the outside of my parents house, he didn't cover a thing but didn't spill a drop. Unfortunately this breed will all be retired within the next 10/15 years.

I’m with Iron Giant on this one. If I was a painter, I would cover the windows and doors with plastic sheeting first. I would factor this in the quote. I don’t get my scraper out unless it’s the odd bit here and there. I don’t get why most tradesmen don’t do this?

Having said this, a customer of mine recently had her window frames and fascias painted. The chap in question did a marvellous job. Not sure if he covered the windows or just cleaned them afterwards, but there wasn’t a fleck of paint on them.

Probably cost mate. Time, hassle & money that hasn’t been allocated for in the quote. Unfortunately the online world & rise of self employment has de-valued a lot of trade work. There are ten times as many plumbers, builders, handymen etc as there were ten years ago (because mass employment for the non highly qualified is a thing of the past) so many jobs are being lost to automation. It used to be the yellow pages and recommendation and thats just about all you had, but People can get hold of so many businesses at the click of a finger now to find the cheapest quote.

the other day someone wanted a plumber to fix a leaking an outside tap, about 6 plumbers responded in no time ? first guy quoted £50, in the end joe bloggs ended up doing it for next to nothing. (Whether he is genuine & has insurance i dont know)

As a general rule of thumb people dont have as much pride in their work these days either. We had an old school painter in his 60’s paint the outside of my parents house, he didn't cover a thing but didn't spill a drop. Unfortunately this breed will all be retired within the next 10/15 years.
I hear what you are saying, this is the joys of FB and some people just want a cheap price, back on the cleaning subject I have a mate who runs a very successful carpet and upholstery cleaning business and you get people turning up at jobs with a cheap shop bought carpet cleaner doing a shoddy job and leaving carpets soaking wet and charging £15, then they get in touch with him to hopefully save their carpets and do the job properly but in some cases people have had to spend £100's on new carpets he has spent well over 2k on the best equipment

And it's the same as our job we invest serious cash and time to be the best at our job and some people think it's a walk in the park and it's just cleaning windows ?

I hear what you are saying, this is the joys of FB and some people just want a cheap price, back on the cleaning subject I have a mate who runs a very successful carpet and upholstery cleaning business and you get people turning up at jobs with a cheap shop bought carpet cleaner doing a shoddy job and leaving carpets soaking wet and charging £15, then they get in touch with him to hopefully save their carpets and do the job properly but in some cases people have had to spend £100's on new carpets he has spent well over 2k on the best equipment

And it's the same as our job we invest serious cash and time to be the best at our job and some people think it's a walk in the park and it's just cleaning windows ?
I think its often because they see us doing it and think, “hmm, that looks easy, i could do that in the same time” 

aye, they could, after you've learned how to purify water, spent the thousands in investment and been through the struggles of finding a client base and becoming a reputable trader ?

also, could they do it day in day out all year round xx number of houses a day whether your waters freezing, soaked through to your skin or on the verge of passing out in a 25 degree heatwave. I doubt half of them would go out in some of the weather conditions we deal with never mind finish a round. Our stamina and integrity count for more than we think ?

I think its often because they see us doing it and think, “hmm, that looks easy, i could do that in the same time” 

aye, they could, after you've learned how to purify water, spent the thousands in investment and been through the struggles of finding a client base and becoming a reputable trader ?

also, could they do it day in day out all year round xx number of houses a day whether your waters freezing, soaked through to your skin or on the verge of passing out in a 25 degree heatwave. I doubt half of them would go out in some of the weather conditions we deal with never mind finish a round. Our stamina and integrity count for more than we think ?
I've got nee stamina I struggle to get to work for 8.30am and I am usually knackered by 4pm I am surprised I'm still awake now ?

Baffles me this too. Got a customer in a big farm house. Had brand new windows put in last year. Then a couple of month later she had the house pebble dashed (shudder). It was her grandsons mate who did it and obviously didn’t care at all he didn’t cover over any windows and now the brand new windows are covered in a hard glue/bonding agent, and I mean covered. I feel sorry for her she’s gutted about the windows, but not sorry enough to get up a ladder and scrape it off ?

Back