Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial/industrial unit gutter clearing

RWCleaning

I’ve been asked to quote on a industrial unit down here in Bournemouth. It’s just 1st floor guttering apparently, it’s the usual metal gutters apparently. They have a couple of plants growing out. I have the sky vac commercial vac.

Couple of questions I have. 

Do you guys have a rough price per metre on one off commercial gutter clearing? I was thinking £3 or £4 per metre, then rounding up the end figure to the next 25, 50, 75 or hundred (if that makes sense) 

next even though I haven’t seen it yet, I’m worried I’ll need a extra long nozzle or something, it’s just those kind of buildings can often have unusually deep gutters. Or do you find that you are ok on a average sky vac or similar nozzle?

Im meeting the maintenance manager on Tuesday. Would like to get the job as they have a little of bit cladding they want cleaning and said they’d be interested in a monthly price for windows as the contract is coming to an end soon. 

@Part Timer & @Pjj thought I’d tag you especially as I’m always happy to listen to your wisdom & seem to have great vac-ing experience.

Thanks. 

I have done some that are to deep for gutter vac, just got the ladders out and sent my helper up. Without seeing them then I can't say for certain. I usually try to work on a minimum of £50 per man hour so would depend on how deep and how full. Personally think working on distance isn't the best way as usually one side is worse than the other. If they're all full then yes price that way. If they are to deep, and you don't fancy the ladder route you could always go to an aluminium stockholder, or a local plastic company, and see if you can buy some longer tube. Did a job once that I had to tape the 2 aluminium poles together to get to a gutter above a bay window 30' up.  

I have done some that are to deep for gutter vac, just got the ladders out and sent my helper up. Without seeing them then I can't say for certain. I usually try to work on a minimum of £50 per man hour so would depend on how deep and how full. Personally think working on distance isn't the best way as usually one side is worse than the other. If they're all full then yes price that way. If they are to deep, and you don't fancy the ladder route you could always go to an aluminium stockholder, or a local plastic company, and see if you can buy some longer tube. Did a job once that I had to tape the 2 aluminium poles together to get to a gutter above a bay window 30' up.  
Ok good points. I tried google street view but the pictures were over 10 years old and I’m guessing their company wasn’t even there as I couldn’t see it. 

I’ve been asked to quote on a industrial unit down here in Bournemouth. It’s just 1st floor guttering apparently, it’s the usual metal gutters apparently. They have a couple of plants growing out. I have the sky vac commercial vac.

Couple of questions I have. 

Do you guys have a rough price per metre on one off commercial gutter clearing? I was thinking £3 or £4 per metre, then rounding up the end figure to the next 25, 50, 75 or hundred (if that makes sense) 

next even though I haven’t seen it yet, I’m worried I’ll need a extra long nozzle or something, it’s just those kind of buildings can often have unusually deep gutters. Or do you find that you are ok on a average sky vac or similar nozzle?

Im meeting the maintenance manager on Tuesday. Would like to get the job as they have a little of bit cladding they want cleaning and said they’d be interested in a monthly price for windows as the contract is coming to an end soon. 

@Part Timer & @Pjj thought I’d tag you especially as I’m always happy to listen to your wisdom & seem to have great vac-ing experience.

Thanks. 
Skyvac went touch commercial stuff. We have the commercial one and at best it's ok for domestic customers.  

I agree with part timer , I would have a look at it first it’s easy to get fought out on deep commercial gutters quite often there are budlia bushes growing in them and the roots can be a right pain , as generally they are deep gutters you need to know how much stuff is in them , is it just an inch or a foot of dirt , that type of job I Price by time not per meter if I think it will take two hours I will price it for three and a half hours to cover any problems . If you are very keen to get the job then price it how you think to secure it just don’t shoot yourself in the foot . Can you get some pictures? . As for depth of gutters I make up my own ends using solvent weld waist pipe 1:5 inch and 2 inch very cheap to make and takes less than 5 muinits to do if I have an awkward gutter I will quite often make them on site costs no more than £3 per end , .

you might find that this job may need to be done off a ladder or scaffold tower , just be prepared on price to include this in the price if that’s the case . 

Skyvac went touch commercial stuff. We have the commercial one and at best it's ok for domestic customers.  

Depends we do a lot of commercial and usually it’s fine it’s only on industrial units that have the wide and deep alloy gutters built into the roof that it’s not really suited for we did a commercial building the other week with the 6 inch I think it is gutters like house gutters but much bigger it did that no problem and it was full wth grass a foot high pulled out huge chunks 

I agree with part timer , I would have a look at it first it’s easy to get fought out on deep commercial gutters quite often there are budlia bushes growing in them and the roots can be a right pain , as generally they are deep gutters you need to know how much stuff is in them , is it just an inch or a foot of dirt , that type of job I Price by time not per meter if I think it will take two hours I will price it for three and a half hours to cover any problems . If you are very keen to get the job then price it how you think to secure it just don’t shoot yourself in the foot . Can you get some pictures? . As for depth of gutters I make up my own ends using solvent weld waist pipe 1:5 inch and 2 inch very cheap to make and takes less than 5 muinits to do if I have an awkward gutter I will quite often make them on site costs no more than £3 per end , .

you might find that this job may need to be done off a ladder or scaffold tower , just be prepared on price to include this in the price if that’s the case . 

Depends we do a lot of commercial and usually it’s fine it’s only on industrial units that have the wide and deep alloy gutters built into the roof that it’s not really suited for we did a commercial building the other week with the 6 inch I think it is gutters like house gutters but much bigger it did that no problem and it was full wth grass a foot high pulled out huge chunks 
Hmm interesting, I didn’t know/think you could do that. Ok yeh I’ll take my go pro and stick it up on my pole. See what’s there. 

Thanks 

Just a up date, thought I’d give spinna clean a call, just to see if they have any longer nozzles etc. Spoke to a really helpful guy, said he can get a 18 inch one sent out to me. £20.00. Just fits inside the blue elbow bit.

I decided why not, then I’ve got it forever if needed. 

Helpful company ?

I've recently done a warehouse box gutter job and my vac was a waste of time mostly.  I would have needed a square neck reaching over about 12" and then down another 15" or so.  The gutters were full of small trees and pine needles.

I quoted high so wasn't bothered to do mostly by hand with the vac used to tidy up

I've recently done a warehouse box gutter job and my vac was a waste of time mostly.  I would have needed a square neck reaching over about 12" and then down another 15" or so.  The gutters were full of small trees and pine needles.

I quoted high so wasn't bothered to do mostly by hand with the vac used to tidy up
This type of gutter usually need an up close and personal aproach we generaly Do them off a scaffold tower worst one we did half filled a small skip and used a spade to dig it out , I always make sure I do a thourough survey theses days as you can easily shoot yourself in the foot 

Back