Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter vacuum advice

G S Cleaning

Hi all, I have been looking for a gutter vac for a while now and I know it's not really the season right now but I am still very much interested in getting one. Not sure what I am looking for though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Does the side inlet make that much difference?

Yes it makes a huge difference, you can generaly fit a side entry to any vac but the better ones usually come with it already fitted , both my vacs are side  entry and I have never had a blockage in the vac end , a previous vac I had was centre inlet and was constantly blocking , ended up throwing it away . 

Clearing gutters isn’t just about having a powerful vac though it is important it’s knowing how to use it successfully is also important and that comes with practice and experience 

I have a £200 Maxblast from Ebay. Bought a 50mm side inlet, cuffs and 10m hose from Spinaclean for £200 and never looked back. Made my money in a few weeks and its still going strong. Cheap way to begin the gutter vac route and get experience.

What poles would you buy for it?

@Pjj mentioned before carbon tubes off eBay taper fit?

I still don’t see how they work?

I got mine from carbon fibre tubes tubes , not ebay , they are very good had them for years still going strong and get used a lot , they can sometimes get stuck together but pricecwise I don’t think they can be beaten , some of the latest poles from sky vac are exelent and clamp fit like a water fed pole but they are expensive . When I have to replace them I will probably go for the sky vac ones , but for someone just starting out and needing something a bit cheaper the carbon fibre tubes ones cannot be beaten on price or quality 

I use alloy poles, very sturdy never have a problem with them jamming. When they wear out I would like to say I would buy the new Sky Vac ones. There nice and light and great clamps just not cheap.

I got mine from ebay and they cost around £400 for 40 feet. I wd40 the joints before I fit them together or they stick. Recently my height started to be a problem, either too low or too high. I cut one with a hacksaw and water to prevent dust which is very dangerous. Now I don't have a problem with height now I have a 4 feet one.

I use alloy, the pros there very durable, very rigid. The down side their heavier the carbon. But for me it's not a problem, I been going the gym 25 years. If I ever upgrade it would be the new Sky Vac ones. Part Timer gave me a go on his ones and there very light, well built and great clamps.

Thanks for your replies.

It’s like anything, get what you pay for, it seems like the sky vac is the best on the market.

The other option... 240v or 110v

Surely for our industry it has to be 240v?

Thanks for your replies.

It’s like anything, get what you pay for, it seems like the sky vac is the best on the market.

The other option... 240v or 110v

Surely for our industry it has to be 240v?

It depends where you are working , if on a building site type of environment you  have to use 110 , if just domestic 240 is ok , you can run either of a genie to be self sufficient on power 

240v you can either run off gen or customers household or built, commercial clients premises mains electric. 

110v required for building sites (H&S requirement) and you are going to need to have the gen with you for every job with  a 110v - residential or commercial built premises. 

For me that ment picking an 80kg gen of the van and moving it about for all jobs. 

240v was better for me, only use the gen the occasional job and I service resedential and commercial but never building sites.

Yes but you can buy what @THL4KELsaid and buy a side inlet from Spinaclean and convert it. Far cheaper than buying a Sky Vac / Grippa Vac and, in my opinion do just as good of a job. 
Is it easy to convert to a side entry part timer ? As I'm not so good at things like that but sounds like the right option for me to get a decent vac without spending 3k 

Is it easy to convert to a side entry part timer ? As I'm not so good at things like that but sounds like the right option for me to get a decent vac without spending 3k 
As long as you have a drill / power tool that can cut out an egg shape, with a few millimeter tolerance through thin steel, then yes. If you can't then for circa £30 some Fab shop will do it.

Back