Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Transit custom or Renault Traffic

Limitless Pro Clean

Hi guys. I'm looking at starting out within the next 2-3 weeks using some redundancy money. I'm struggling to decide what van to buy between the Transit custom or Renault traffic. It's going to be used with a 650ltr wfp system. Anyone got any thoughts/experience with either van? Pros & cons. Thanks

No experience of either, but for the little knowledge I have, I’d definitely go transit custom, spend couple of hundred extra on dead locks for the front doors.

Theyre lovely vans.

You will get the Transit fans and Vivaro / Traffic fans arguing. I've had a Vivaro for 8 years and apart from the injector fault, now fixed on newer vans, and the gearbox going after 120k miles it's never flackered. It also has the higher payload of the 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big fan of transits and ford in general. Parts are easy to come by and not  too dear, people have clocked over a million miles in them and some are still on the road after 20-30 years.

Nothing against the traffic - i have heard of turbos being a problem on them but its not a personal experience. The higher payload would certainly be a plus if you want to be fitting a window cleaning tank.

@Limitless Pro Clean What has made you decide on a 650ltr tank seems a big tank for starting out and more costly depending on what van mount system you are buying, I have done 32 jobs today and not used 300ltrs. 

@Limitless Pro Clean What has made you decide on a 650ltr tank seems a big tank for starting out and more costly depending on what van mount system you are buying, I have done 32 jobs today and not used 300ltrs. 
I'm starting it full time and wanted to future proof really. I only want to spend the money on equipment once really, rather than have to upgrade in a year or two. Any systems you would recommend? I'm looking at Grippatank, Pure freedom & Waterworks at the moment.

I'm starting it full time and wanted to future proof really. I only want to spend the money on equipment once really, rather than have to upgrade in a year or two. Any systems you would recommend? I'm looking at Grippatank, Pure freedom & Waterworks at the moment.
I can fully appreciate what you are saying, but with respect have you cleaned a window before and do you have the drive to make it? I wouldn't want someone to blow 10k on a van and system and discover they can't make a go of it and lose money. 

Do you know the basics, such as your tap tds and how much money you will need to spend to produce pure water either on an R/O which can cost in excess of £500 in some cases or DI system, this you need to know as we have had lads on here who haven't known the basics and assume it's all very easy, to go out and run a successful business and make the doey eyed figures ph which is far from the reality after tax etc and it isn't all plain sailing getting over 200 clients to sustain a decent income. 

I can fully appreciate what you are saying, but with respect have you cleaned a window before and do you have the drive to make it? I wouldn't want someone to blow 10k on a van and system and discover they can't make a go of it and lose money. 

Do you know the basics, such as your tap tds and how much money you will need to spend to produce pure water either on an R/O which can cost in excess of £500 in some cases or DI system, this you need to know as we have had lads on here who haven't known the basics and assume it's all very easy, to go out and run a successful business and make the doey eyed figures ph which is far from the reality after tax etc and it isn't all plain sailing getting over 200 clients to sustain a decent income. 
I appreciate the advice. I have a few window cleaning friends and I've worked with them many times before so its something I'm definitely committed to doing. Yeah my tap tds is quite high at around 320ppm so I'll need both R/O & DI filtration.

I appreciate the advice. I have a few window cleaning friends and I've worked with them many times before so its something I'm definitely committed to doing. Yeah my tap tds is quite high at around 320ppm so I'll need both R/O & DI filtration.
Good to hear you have some inside info and lads to help you out if stuck with general issues as well as coming on here, personally I don't see the point of spending well over 2k for an all-out system like a GrippaMax 650, when you could get a Wyedale tank with a frame from Grippa and have a pump and controller fitted to the frame as a basic set up as on the whole a wfp delivery system is just that no matter what the price tag . 

And if you have space you can purify water at home instead of an onboard R/O & Di  system, you need to save some money were you can so as on a system as your daily pole and R/O are vital components that will help you on a daily basis and also consider having a decent chunk of money for marketing and or lead generation etc.

Good to hear you have some inside info and lads to help you out if stuck with general issues as well as coming on here, personally I don't see the point of spending well over 2k for an all-out system like a GrippaMax 650, when you could get a Wyedale tank with a frame from Grippa and have a pump and controller fitted to the frame as a basic set up as on the whole a wfp delivery system is just that no matter what the price tag . 

And if you have space you can purify water at home instead of an onboard R/O & Di  system, you need to save some money were you can so as on a system as your daily pole and R/O are vital components that will help you on a daily basis and also consider having a decent chunk of money for marketing and or lead generation etc.
Yeah I've learnt a huge amount from all the guys on here over the past few months, some really great tips and advice. I currently live in a flat so its not possible to have a system at home, but I'm sure that would have saved me money if I could.

Good choise of tank size size I was trad and changed over to wfp and started with a 650 ltr tank , I could empty it on my own , youbwill get more work there is no point in getting something that you are likely to out grow , I have always struggled to undershow ones work all day with small tanks , I started at 8:30 finished at 4:30 and would use between 500-650 ltr per day , I didn’t waist water either , most single operators I know would not go smaller than a 500 ltr tank .

grippatank are good depending what you want to spend and there after sales servjce is very good , there web site let’s them down it’s not user friendly though 

I have the custom and love it.

Don’t know about Renaults, but purely on looks, the custom is a Kelly brook whilst the Renault is a Janet street porter

That’s made my decision a lot easier lol. What tank size do you have for your van?

Good choise of tank size size I was trad and changed over to wfp and started with a 650 ltr tank , I could empty it on my own , youbwill get more work there is no point in getting something that you are likely to out grow , I have always struggled to undershow ones work all day with small tanks , I started at 8:30 finished at 4:30 and would use between 500-650 ltr per day , I didn’t waist water either , most single operators I know would not go smaller than a 500 ltr tank .

grippatank are good depending what you want to spend and there after sales servjce is very good , there web site let’s them down it’s not user friendly though 
Thanks for that. I’m hoping 650 ltr will be more than enough for me for many years. I like the grippatank system, just so damn expensive.

I have two vans with 650 and one with 1000 ltr , another point is you don’t have to fill the tank if you are only doing a small amount of work ,but if you have a small tank and get more work you are stuffed ??

29 minutes ago, mark m said:

i have had both vans both great vans my current van is custom 

Nice setup mate, lovely and tidy. Do you happen to know the payload on your custom? Reason I ask is when using the payload checker on grippatanks website a lot of the customs I’ve checked won’t be able to handle a 650ltr tank.

I don’t have a custom I have a renault master : renault traffic , Mercedes Vito , dont quote me but I think the bigger customs have a very good payload up to 1500kg cheak out the Ford website to make sure 
The 3500 vans have, not the standard transit. The biggest payload is Citroën / Peugeot / Toyota. These carry from circa 1420 - 1480 kgs. The next best, I think is the 2900 Vivaro with circa 1290kgs. 

Yeah I've learnt a huge amount from all the guys on here over the past few months, some really great tips and advice. I currently live in a flat so its not possible to have a system at home, but I'm sure that would have saved me money if I could.
Can you not fill up at a mates house for the time being or have a static set up at a relatives house. 

1mm jets my friend I use around a 1/3 less water than you would use those big old 2mm jets, no univalve or owt complicated just nip the hose between some windows as well. ?

Back