Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A toast to the death of democracy

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Well here we are the night before the deadline and guess what we're not getting out .

There's a surprise

I did not vote to leave if there was a deal. I did not vote to leave if there is no deal. I simply voted to leave .

I was told that I would only have one chance in my lifetime to have this vote there would be no second referendum, that the voice of the people would stand and that the decision of the people is what would be carried through.

It never ceases to amaze me that the ones that seem to believe that they stand for democracy are the biggest opponents of this democratic process .

It's only a democratic process if they win the vote.

So here I sit them night before the deadline when a can of my favourite cider and I raise a toast to the death of democracy as we know it.

Forget goodbye to Europe it's goodbye England for this land of ours is no more that is clearly obvious that we have no say regardless of what they say as to what our future will hold.

We have never had more of a say than the peasants used to 1000 years ago, they just make us feel like we do. A couple of days ago Rees-Mogg stood up making jokes about which public school another member of parliament went too. That is how disconnected from us normal people they are.

With regards to the death of democracy, this is more of a knife in the back. Democracy will finally bleed out when they find a way to get to a second referendum, just like they did in Greece, Ireland and the Netherlands!!

The politicians are a bunch of overgrown kids who want to get one over on each other so they look better, they seriously don't give a toss about the people they are caught up in the whole thing and have just kicked up a fuss, they really don't care about anything other than themselves we are well and truly been screwed over, our once great nation who ruled across the world is now shadow of its former self and in a real mess politically and financially all because of these clowns who were apparently voted in to represent the people ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody in Parliament has ever got anything right.

Guy Fawkes came close and even he ****ed it up.

What i learnt about this country moons ago is that if you have money or come from some sort of advantaged background, the powers that be see you as worth supporting and pleasing. If you come from nothing and / or have nothing going for you and need help, they'd rather put you in front of a firing squad if they thought they could get away with it. They can't so they just make life as hard as possible instead. They don't give a damn about us,

Unfortunately the EU is rather beneficial to many of the powers that be, bribes and wot not that all go on behind closed doors. It was never in their interests to leave and they never wanted to. The whole pro leave campaign was imo just a publicity stunt - i don't believe for one minute that Boris wanted to leave however the nation swung it and embarrassed the entire lot of them.

What gets me.. everyone is banging on about a 2nd referendum, others claiming that pro leave lied etc. Tony Blair was going to abolish the monarchy and the benefits system, he didn't though did he - did we have another election because of that?

I've never voted and all the time we have such dishonest wasters in power I never will. Tony Blair was the first PM to set a trend for Celebrity politicians that were self obsessed, shallow and careless, and unfortunately the rest have followed suit. John Major may well have been boring but at least he had half an ounce of sense.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I decided to go and visit my cousin who owns a cafe in Waterloo.

We did the scenic root, which is to Westminster, over Lambeth bridge.

As we walked past Big Ben, the usual mob was there with there usual Europe flags singing some poxy song.

I couldn’t resist, so to my wife’s horror I shouted ‘Brexit means exit, respect the vote’.

Some spectacled pleb that looked like a geography teacher came storming over ranting close to my face.

I kept cool and asked him to buy some good British toothpaste as his breath smelt like donkey turds.

His face was fall of rage, I was just about to t up my point of view, but a rozzer came over and told me to move along.

Bloody spoil sport

Pub time.

Have a great weekend fellow windies and be proud to be english not European ??

Herein lies the problem... People voted for different brexits.. there wasn't a proper defined question of how we'd achieve Brexit.  There were numerous proposals of how we might leave during the referendum campaign and no consensus by the campaigners of how it might be achieved...  And then A50 was triggered... Still with no clear consensus of how to proceed.  

The people voted to leave the European Union, we were never given the option to vote on the Lisbon Treaty because Gordon Brown thought that by signing it he would be given a powerful job within the European Central Bank. He knew that we would've voted against it so he signed it, and in some peoples eyes committed treason by doing so. All this hard and soft Brexit is a distraction, leave means leave, including the customs union and the European Court Of Justice, simples.

I voted to leave. Pure and simple. I'm old enough to remember the times pre EU. People could trade. People could travel. Each country made their own laws and their own rules. Trade found a way then and it would now. Trade will find its own balance if it's allowed to. I'd like to hear what the EU car manufacturers and hoteliers etc would have to say if they were told by their governments that they couldn't trade with us (a very important part of their market). 

I do despair of the moral cowardice that's so prevelant these days. I'm sorry to say that there is a lot of truth to the expression ; Snow flake generation. Though I don't think there's much, if any of that on here, where we all do hard physical work, outside in often difficult weather conditions. 

The choice was stay or leave not leave with a deal. The only people that keep saying that are the remainers who are trying to stop Brexit.

Theres a lot of talk on Facebook about people taking action tomorrow throughout the country. I.E blockaging motorways and ports. The vote there're having in parliament tomorrow could be the end of Brexit.

Theres a lot of talk on Facebook about people taking action tomorrow throughout the country. I.E blockaging motorways and ports. The vote there're having in parliament tomorrow could be the end of Brexit.
Yeh and then all those smug remainers will be even more smug. I dont believe there was any serious intention of getting us out in the first place. Would be nice to have honesty and transparancy. Hm. Fat chance. I have no sympathy at all if there is widespread civil unrest. Also. there would be absolutely no point in ever trusting or listening to them ever again, and the common man would be justified in lying and deceiving the authorities, as it would just be giving them back what they have done.

I don’t really get what the whole brexit thing was about. The main two objections that seem to have cropped up & been a big player in the whole run up campaigns were immigration & where the countries money is going. As far as immigration goes the majority of immigrants from the EU i’ve met are hard working, tax paying people. Jobs aren’t exactly easy to come by in this country & i know a lot of people who’ve gone to europe and found work. The EU allocated a lot of funds to regenerate run down areas of wales that voted to leave which i found mind boggling. I doubt even if the money had stayed in the u.k. to start with that these areas would have seen the same regeneration. a few valleys people & Cardiff people regularly moaned to me about immigrants yet there are barely any immigrants in the areas where they live ?

as far as where the money goes i couldn't see things being any different for common folk anyway, VAT, income tax etc are hardly going to be any different and peoples council tax will still rise year on year i dare say. I bet It would all continue to line pockets at the top one way or another even if it wasn't being sent as membership fees to the EU.

i voted to stay, the way i saw it in 2014/15 we looked as if we were comfortably recovering from a recession, there were plenty of new cars on the roads, restaurants couldn't vacate their seats fast enough they were so jam packed. People were genuinely happy go lucky. Things looked healthy enough to me ?‍♂️

I’m no political genius & i agree that a majority vote of 17m needs to be respected, but the whole things been dominating the headlines for what, 4 years now? Its depressing. Many Remainers obviously aren’t happy (not that i’m making a big deal of it, i’m used to not winning votes and politicians have lied to and deceived the masses for a long time) 

leavers aren’t happy now either as we have no idea what sort of brexit it will be. it seems to have created such a stir that yes it could cause huge civil unrest. When nobody seems to be a winner at the end of it all it does beg the question, is all this a catastrophic mistake?

all that seems to be clear right now is that british people are more divided than they ever were before all this even started so i really am scratching my head. People have fallen out with families, neighbors and friends over it ? whatever happens now we must stand together and bring back some sort stability as a people as we appear to be a nation that has fallen apart. British people have always been famed for standing firm “as one” in times of difficulty, so it really is a shame to see all this. 

This is one of the things that really annoys me, yes undoubtedly there was immigration involved but the vast majority were complaining of the third world immigration that Labour allowed, not Europeans. Yet the intellectuals twisted the Brexit vote to say that we were xenophobic. For me, and everyone I know, the leave vote was purely and simply based on controlling what we can and can't do, without the EU telling us what we can and can't do. Immigration is a good thing if it is controlled to people that have skills we need no matter the colour of their skin, not to suppress the opportunities of the young British workers because it's cheaper to import the skills rather than train our own. 

The arrogance and rudeness of the unelected leaders of the EU, many of whom are unelected and refuse to have their finances (which are paid by us) audited. The downright open rudeness to our Prime minister. How can that be right? It's a shame that it has caused frictions between ordinary folk. I'm willing to accept all other people's opinions but I have lost "friends" who couldn't or wouldn't accept mine. 

Yeah i do agree P.T., there are some very hardline remainers that have twisted things to paint all leavers as racists and they wont even talk to people who voted out, which is ridiculous.

My friend is black, he’s British through and through and he voted to leave. A lot of europeans are now going back home as working conditions are now on par at home with what they are over here.

Third world migrants are only doing what i reckon i would do. If i grew up in some forsaken place like iran or syria where there’s religious police running around, i’m pretty sure i’d be making my way here on a boat. Likewise if i was born in a country that suffers droughts and countless civil wars e.g. some african states, i’m sure id be pretty eager to get out of there also. I just hope all this comes to a solid conclusion soon and then the whole country can move on again. It all just seems endless ?

Long story abbreviated, I looked after an Indian student in Sunderland and was invited to, and attended, his wedding in Bangalore yet because I voted to leave I'm apparently a xenophobic racist. 
It’s sad isn’t it. People make such quick judgement on others based on what they think they know.

People may assume that because my grandfathers a pensioner with a white beard he may look like the typical “leave” voter, as a higher proportion of elders voted to leave.

But he actually voted to stay, he kind of swayed me a bit as well. He’s the most intelligent guy i know, always helped me through school, any complicated paperwork, worked in admiralty, welsh office, tax office etc, done his national service and all that. Always been someone i’ve looked up to. One of the reasons he voted to stay was because before the formation of the EU, europe was plagued by major european wars. As he’s someone who had to go through it and live through those times then i completely understand where he’s coming from. He’s also worked with many europeans on business meetings and said it was beautiful to see everyone from the different nations co-operating, rather than the horror that went on when he was a kid. 

I’m not half as smart as him but through all of my life he has been cool, calculated etc 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a remain myth that it was mainly old that voted to leave. Theres plenty of young who voted to leave, plenty of all ages.  Anyway the majority voted to leave,  so we should leave. That's democracy...

Back