Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Membranes High TDS advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

smooro

Hello,

I need some advice on changing membranes. I have fitted a set of 3 New membranes on my RO unit (pure freedom) and I am getting high TDS, it’s going down very very slowly.

I have flushed for a good hour and half and changed pre-filters. Does it take time for the new ones to settle in?

any advice would be great.

Thanks

I have the pure freedom ones and yes, sometimes they can take a while to “bed in” so it seems. I flushed my last lot for a couple of hours and they were only reading 30-40 or something like that. They gradually came down to 15 over the next couple of days of use.

Other times they read that or even lower almost straight away.  My tap water tds has gone up from 260 to 326 recently so not sure if that had something to do with it. 

What are yours reading?

Before I put the new membranes in I was getting 17ish before DI. Now I am 28ish before DI. I am getting 260ish water. It’s the first time I have changed the membranes so all new to me.

Maybe just give them a bit more time and flush them a bit more. I think when they’re first fitted you’re supposed to flush them for a couple of hours.

Yeah that’s what I am hoping.

thanks 
You could also have a membrane that hasn't seated properly.

I would suggest you take a pure reading from each membrane and see if you have one particular membrane thats producing at a higher tds rate than the other two.

Its usual to lubricate both O rings and the brine seal with a smear of silicone grease during assembly and ensure that each membrane is pushed properly into its housing.

As Spruce has advised above it may not be seated properly.

When putting membranes in I used the handle on the screwdriver to push them in and you will hear a slight click.

Another problem I have come across is filters being sold on the market which are restricting the flow to the membrane. Labelled as 5 micron but I feel they are a lot less.

After an hour of flushing it normally brings it down to around 95/96% then can take a good couple of days of production to get it down to 97/98%.

If still an issue measure each membrane ppm as you could have on that has failed.

Latest Posts

Back